Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 3:29am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Handling improvements..? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Handling improvements..?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Handling improvements..?  (Read 1217 times)
10mpg

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Handling improvements..?
« on: Aug 15th, 2008, 12:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Ok I'm loving the general waftyness and comfort of my 2.3 Scorp Ghia X estate  but it's handling is pretty shocking at times, the steering is way too light the front end is ridiculously soft and at high speed (over 85ish) it feels very unsettled and to be honest my 4.6 Range Rover with the suspension set on high feels more able to take a high speed manouver than  this scorp..

Does anyone know why this is or are they all like this?

It has no play that i can find anywhere in the front or rear suspension or wheel bearings, the tyres are all new, albeit a cheapo asian brand that the last owner fitted and at lower speeds round town it feels fine..

I was thinking a speed sensitive power steering system of a later model might help as would stiffer suspension and damping perhaps from a V6 or a cossie? can any of this be done?

what do people think?

Any help at all would be great, as if not we'll probably sell it and get something that handles high speed better like an Volvo which would be a shame as we both really like the car but do like to press on a bit and at anything over 90 (on a private road occifer) this one feels downright dangerous!
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Re: Handling improvements..?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15th, 2008, 8:36am »

24V front struts & brakes, 130% -30mm front springs, new rear shox, 71/2j x 17 wheels with 225/50 r17 tyres. works for me.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
10mpg

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Aug 15th, 2008, 9:25am »

So you encountered similar problems?

Where did you source the front springs from,?
IP Logged
auntiephil

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15th, 2008, 9:44am »

i agree the car is light at speed at the front,i have the same model. Also have the diesel and this doesnt go light at speed maybe because of the extra weight.just think a decent set of shocks will do and take it from there,phil.
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 15th, 2008, 1:17pm »

have had springs made to my specs.
IP Logged

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 15th, 2008, 2:08pm »

Mine was always ok on cruise, never had any problems with it wandering or feeling light at speed Undecided

Fastest I ever had it was near the ton on empty motorway at 2am, even at 95 it still felt quite solid except for the road noise, the engine was flagging at those speeds though, not sure it could've cleared 100 without a lot of throttle Roll Eyes

But other than that it's probably the best cruiser I've driven for those speeds, what with the handy button on the shifter to drop it out of overdrive for overtaking. Sitting for miles on the motorway at 75-85, no handling/wandering probs whatsoever, officer Wink

I'd be checking toe and tyre pressures and shocks/ball joints before modding it Smiley
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Aug 15th, 2008, 4:53pm »

try it at those sort of speeds round bends. have done course car on a few rallys in mine.
IP Logged

TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 15th, 2008, 7:00pm »

Martin. OP's question was about whether they were unstable, not whether they were perfect.

Did a lot of motorway driving in mine and at sensible speeds on regular tarmac A roads and motorways it never had any problems with tramlining or stability, it always held the line and never had any issues with it being unstable, getting buffeted by crosswinds like the Mondeo does etc. Not saying it couldn't be improved but as far as the original question goes, it certainly wasn't unstable at motorway speeds. The one time I pushed it it felt like it was getting near its limits around the tonne and I wouldn't have gone any faster even if it was legal.

Maybe if I drove it again now I'd feel different but it certainly wasn't a bad car in that respect.

Hope this clears a few things Smiley
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
10mpg

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Aug 15th, 2008, 7:25pm »

Great stuff, I have a 5.8litre Mustang and a 3 series bimmer coupe (for sale) for spirited driving so I'm just interested in it being stable and safe I'm not requiring pin sharp handling, the Scorpio is my missus's commuter and our main family car (cus my daily drive 4.6 Range Rover is to juicy) so safety and stability is my priority here, it's just that we both cruise about 80-90 on a run and at these speeds it feels 'wandery' and any sharp movement of the steering wheel induces a worrying wallow and a feeling of being 'on the edge'

As for top end my scorp will happily push way past 100 and i have seen over 120 on the clock with some pull left (on the autobahn on holiday in Germany) only it feels REALLY unstable and dangerous at these speeds so it has never been repeated...

maybe some sports shocks might be a good first upgrade..
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 16th, 2008, 10:12am »

10mpg
The Scorpio front strut is common throughout the range,the diesel and 24v have stronger springs,the 24v has bigger brakes as well.I have seven stretched funeral vehicles,which when returning from a job get a good clearout,I can honestly say that even at 100mph there is no straight line handling problem at all,and they don't go round bends too badly either.I don't think they were designed to be hurled about,but they are as good as anything similar,you may have a rogue !
         GOZZ
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 16th, 2008, 2:19pm »

Agree

When I had the Nankangs they tended to flatspot really badly if the car was parked for a week or two, the thing which really got me to change them was driving in heavy rain once and felt like it was on ice at 55mph, wandering with no steering feel at all. Stiff tyres but very hard compound and lots of noise, wouldn't have them through choice. Got Avons now, a lot softer but much better ride/grip/stability, well worth the money.

One of the cossies I drove was on same profile tyres as mine but on Michelins AFAIK, did ride better and probably keener/more rigid even though I only did a dash down the dual carriageway in it.

If it was mine and money wasn't the problem I'd invest in some better rubber and get the alignment checked and see how it is then, if you still aren't happy then go the upgrade route.
IP Logged

TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 16th, 2008, 2:22pm »

on Aug 16th, 2008, 10:12am, gozz wrote:
I have seven stretched funeral vehicles,which when returning from a job get a good clearout,I can honestly say that even at 100mph there is no straight line handling problem at all

Funeral drivers behaving badly?  Lips Sealed  Lips Sealed  Lips Sealed

That'll show the chavs how to do donuts Grin Wink
IP Logged

mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 16th, 2008, 9:07pm »

Mmmm,     cruising at  80/90,   I  take  it  you're  not  from  the UK  then ?  Cool

IP Logged
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Aug 17th, 2008, 11:07pm »

10mpg sorry to go off topic but do you mind telling me what mpg you get from your range rover?
asked a few people now and it always seems a bit too good to me, but then they are trying to sell them. put it in a pm if you want then the thread isnt confused too much Roll Eyes
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Aug 18th, 2008, 3:51pm »

TBH I think simply replacing the stock gear can return excellent handling.

My Cossie used to wander about a bit but then I had the front/rear shocks/springs replaced with items from my local auto factors and new front wishbones from Ford and handling is now spot on.  Tested on a private road upto 130mph on the speed and felt rock solid.  I have the OEM specced Prielli P6000's on as well.
IP Logged
10mpg

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Aug 21st, 2008, 12:38pm »

on Aug 17th, 2008, 11:07pm, cossie_al wrote:
10mpg sorry to go off topic but do you mind telling me what mpg you get from your range rover?
asked a few people now and it always seems a bit too good to me, but then they are trying to sell them. put it in a pm if you want then the thread isnt confused too much Roll Eyes

My Range Rover is a 1997 4.6HSE 110k miles always serviced every year with new bridgestones all round....

During regular slow driving I'd say 15mpg is average with town and country use, on a run I can get 21mpg at 70mph with the cruise control on but this is very rare..
I have got it as low as 8mpg during heavy towing or cruising at 110+..

I normally get about 12-14mpg average over a tank but my missus gets about 16-17 I did 370 miles in it yesterday towing a 1 ton trailer with a car on the back and the boot loaded up with car spares and managed 14.9 I never went over 75 though due to the trailer cost me about £150 in petrol...

Hope that kinda answers your question, it's getting an lpg conversion soon (though I have been saying that for over 2 years now)

As far as the scorp goes I'm thinking new tyres and 24v springs with new dampers and wishbones, I'll report back when I've done I'm not sure its livable with as it is, and like I said otherwise I'm a big fan of the car....

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.