Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 8:40am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« sluggish 2.9 12v »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   sluggish 2.9 12v
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: sluggish 2.9 12v  (Read 1061 times)
boycey

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

sluggish 2.9 12v
« on: Aug 16th, 2008, 10:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

can anyone help,i have a 2.9 12v auto on a 96 plate and it does'nt seem to perform as i would expect it to,it feels as if it holding back and not pulling as it should,i have cheked the obvious things such as plugs,leads,cap,and rotor arm,also when under load there seems to be what i would describe as a lot of induction roar and when using full throttle it changes gear at 5100 rpm,should it rev higher or is this normal,i have also noticed a sort of whistling noise from around the fuel pipe that goes into a small round thing above the nearside rocker cover,could it be a fuel starvation issue.p.s i am new here and must say what an excellent site this is,thanks.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: sluggish 2.9 12v
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16th, 2008, 1:16pm »

With regard the whistling noise, scroll down to Fuel Rail V6 Cologne 12v on this page:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/fuelrail.htm

Do you mean item 7.
Check the vacuum hose for leaks (it pushes on, but not shown in this diagram).

Although I doubt that alone is the cause of your problems.

IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
boycey

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Aug 16th, 2008, 2:14pm »

thanks tompion,item 7 is the part i was refering to,the fuel regulator,and when checking the vacumn pipe discovered that it was squeezed flat between the fuel pipes where it returns to the small black unit on the inner wing next to the suspension turrett,do you know what effects this would have,it does'nt appear to be making the noise anymore.many thanks for your advise.
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 16th, 2008, 2:31pm »

Hello boycey. Don't know much about the 12v but it's a fairly simple lump, I'd maybe start with the simple stuff - changing fuel filter and plugs and see how it is then.  

Not sure about the throttle setup on the 12v (if I take a guess from memory I'm always wrong and just get into trouble Wink) but sounds like it's not reaching full throttle, whether this is caused by throttle sensor or kickdown switch or whatever setup the 12v uses...somebody should be able to help.

Could also be a disintegrating cat if it holds back at higher revs but less likely.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 16th, 2008, 2:36pm »

on Aug 16th, 2008, 2:14pm, boycey wrote:
thanks tompion,item 7 is the part i was refering to,the fuel regulator,and when checking the vacumn pipe discovered that it was squeezed flat between the fuel pipes where it returns to the small black unit on the inner wing next to the suspension turrett,do you know what effects this would have,it does'nt appear to be making the noise anymore.many thanks for your advise.

I have no experience of the 2.9 but on the 2.3 it goes straight to the inlet manifold, I assume it does the same on yours via the black box.
It drops the fuel rail pressure by about .5 bar when the throttle is shut.

IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 16th, 2008, 3:17pm »

I most likely I would say its blocked cat the whistling sound might give you some idea. As stated its really failry simple set up a lot inherited from the granada.. Could be the MAP but sysptoms do point to a blocked cat as it won't rev .
I have to presume it ticks over faultlessly .
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
pagey

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Aug 16th, 2008, 4:10pm »

Hello Boycey.
I too have the 12valve and have  the same probs as you have described especially the induction bit. Makes a noise like the Bullit Mustang but without the jump in speed. I renewed the cat some time ago and although it made a small difference, the prob is still there. 2 weeks ago, I took it to a tuning centre and the nice man checked it over and said that he couldn't find anything wrong with the electrics or the fuel supply but when he took it out on the road and confronted an incline, he wasn't happy about the induction thingy. He suggested that I may have a partially blocked exhaust. A motor mechanic / MOT tester mate of mine says that he will drop the rear box off because they sometimes disintegrate inside and we will "try it round the block " Although it may have a blockage, it does not affect the emmission readings. When this will take place I don't know but I think that it's worth trying. When we do it I will post the result.
Hope this helps a bit. Smiley
 Trev.
IP Logged
boycey

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Aug 17th, 2008, 8:35am »

Thanks to you all for your advice,i think i'll now change the fuel filter and take a close look at the exhaust,in reply to snoopy the car ticks over faultlessly and revs freely in neutral and drives fine but under heavy throttle just does'nt feel its pulling as it should.Thanks again.
IP Logged
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Oct 4th, 2008, 12:24pm »

Hi Boycey  Smiley
I have a 12valve which behaves exactly the same as described:  Ticks over beautifully. roars a lot under throttle etc.  I have renewed plugs and leads, serviced her thoroughly, checked jusst about everything but still the same.  Now then folks here is an idea:  She returns 19 - 20mpg around Town but at best only 21, just, on dual carriageway/Motorway.  So, if as sugested the Exhaust is partially blocked, then at slow speeds as experienced around Town etc the engine is pushing out relativly little exhaust gassed which can flow quite easily around  a partial blockage in the exhaust whilst under high speed conditions or heavy throttle there could be a "back up of exhaust gasses which means that the engine is trying to force the exhaust gasses out.  Bit like bunging up the tail pipe with a spud.  Hence excellent mpg around Town and pathetic mpg on the open road  Cheesy  
What do you think:  

Mike N
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 4th, 2008, 12:40pm »

Check the MAP sensor on the nearside inner wing . the failure of that can cause some of the problems described. but  when I had my 12v it returned the MPG you state around town but on a good long run I could under careful driving at just below national speed limits get over 30 but those occasions were rare occurrences. about 28/29 was average on a run.

It is a basic lump inherited from the Mk3 so there is NOT a  lot to go wrong. Try and get a replacement MAP sensor and fit it and see what difference it makes . they do have them on the MK 3 i believe.
Otherwise get the cat checked .. It may as I previously stated be breaking up, which can give the symptoms you are describing.
Perfect tick over and slow speed performance but VERY sluggish on the open road at high throttle settings.

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Oct 4th, 2008, 1:39pm »

Smiley Thank's Snoopy.  It's 'orrible outside at present but I'll certainly check the MAP sensor asap., and the Cat.  Its a loveley car.  I have another 12valve, a Saloon which was my first Scorpio and she is a beauty, retutning the mpg that you had with yours.  Fast, responsive and comfy. perfect  Roll Eyes  She has no frills but I fitted her with scrappy leather seats.  My 21 year old son takes her to York for a few days every now and then and he and his peers at Uni. are duly impressed with her.  He also manages to get 31+ mpg on the Mways!  Huh!  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.