Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 5:30am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« abs and tcs lights illuminated »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   abs and tcs lights illuminated
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: abs and tcs lights illuminated  (Read 590 times)
scorp299

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

abs and tcs lights illuminated
« on: Sep 1st, 2008, 1:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everybody.It's been a few months since my last question so there are a few more to be asked.First and most important is the fact that when driving home today and within a mile or so from home the TCS and ABS lights both illuminated.Has it got anything to do with the pads needing replaced as they have started to squeal a bit(probably front and back)for the last week or so.The car is a 95 Cosworth 24V.Many thanks for any help anybody can give.Gary.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: abs and tcs lights illuminated
« Reply #1 on: Sep 1st, 2008, 3:18pm »

If both lights are on then the first place to look is at the rear sensors, as these control both the ABS & TCS. They tend to get quite dirty over time & can cause this problem. Also check the sensor connectors which are located under the flaps of carpet under the rear seat.  Smiley
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 1st, 2008, 7:18pm »

Hi, did they stay illuminated? on all the time now?

Was it raining when they came on?? (silly question probably at the moment) Smiley
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Sep 1st, 2008, 10:10pm »

and to answer your question Smiley
no, worn pads won't make the lights come on.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 1st, 2008, 10:12pm »

Its only a question if it has a question mark  Grin
IP Logged

Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 1st, 2008, 10:13pm »

Grin
IP Logged

Malcolm73

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Sep 2nd, 2008, 10:38am »

Hello Scorpio299

Sorry to hear of your anti lock brake (ABS) problem

May I apologise for not being an expert, however I hope this is more help than a smiley.

As previously mentioned the lights do not indicate the condition of discs or pads which should be visually examined.

Squealing or metallic rubbing needs immediate attention as it may indicate that the brake pads have worn to the steel backing plates, another possibility is that you have a faulty wheel bearing(s) and faulty bearings may also cause ABS  failure and the ABS light will come on.

Check that your tyres are correctly inflated as uneven pressures cause uneven wheel rotation and again the ABS light will come on.

Each wheel has an ABS sensor and from experience front sensors seem to give more trouble than rear.  Each wheel sensor has a flexible cable terminating in a two pin multi plug.

Beneath the front wheel arch the plugs are in road spray so wipe of dust and mud, open the multi plug and check for water and corrosion.  Clean as necessary.  Check the sensor for electrical continuity and resistance of about 9,400 ohms.  My memory is failing and 9,400 may not be the figure.  On reassembly a touch of electrical contact grease could be applied, expensive Ford specification WSB-M1C239-A.

Unfortunately these basic electrical tests may indicate failure but are not foolproof as a sensor may still be faulty.

Similar multi plugs for the rear wheels are beneath the rear seat carpets and can be checked but being dry they are usually less susceptible to corrosion.

If the fault persists I believe that you should have the ABS checked at a small competent garage or perhaps someone with OBD equipment may be able to test.  My local three man garage has the necessary computer equipment and has quickly located sensor faults

Sensors contain magnets and can pick up ferrous debris which can stop them working.  Rear sensors are more prone to this problem and can sometimes be extracted and cleaned whilst front sensors are usually corroded in place and any attempt at removal usually breaks the plastic and internal connections. Broken front sensors can only be forcibly removed

The general wiring harness may be an unlikely fault but the expensive, but repairable ABS computer control box does fail, usually on the 12 volt input pins to the printed circuit board..  A new computer is expensive but methods of repair have been described on this site.

I hope this helps.

Regards  and    73’s    Malcolm

IP Logged
scorp299

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:12pm »

Thanks very much for the replies folks.
In addition to the my question,my son is fairly adamant that when we arrived back home he smelt a slight burning smell which I personally didn't.Don't know if that might be connected to the ABS/TCS lights.
Anyway back to the answers to some of your questions-

Highlander...It wasn't raining at the time and the lights didn't come back on when I started the engine again and also when starting it again this morning and going for a 5 minute drive(during the rain).
Jonnycab...I removed the wheels and examined the sensors which looked ok but I gave them a little clean anyway.The connectors under the carpet looked ok as well.
Tompion...I've got the pads on order just in case but does anybody know where I can locate some instructions on how to fit them in greater detail.
Malcolm73...Wheel bearings are ok as far as I can check them ie noises while driving and play in the wheels.
Tyre pressures were more out than I thought they would be...Fronts were ok but backs were N/S 22psi and O/S 39psi...could that have contributed to the lights?
Many thanks again for the answers and to change the subject slightly...When is the next Badgers Mount meet?
Gary.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:15pm »

Are the lights still on then ?  Smiley
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Sep 2nd, 2008, 1:58pm »

Have a look here:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/rbrakes.htm

& here:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/brakesmanual.htm

I think tyre pressures can be over stated as a cause, but in your case with that variation yes it could cause the light to stay on.

If there is a Badgers Mount meet, it’s due the end of this month – keep an eye on the meetings page.

Dave
IP Logged

scorp299

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Sep 2nd, 2008, 8:20pm »

Cheers for the replies guys.I went for another little jaunt in the scorp earlier this evening and was happy to see no lights suddenly appearing.I'll hopefully have the pads fitted in the next couple of days and go for a longer drive so watch this space.Thanks again,Gary.
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 2nd, 2008, 9:06pm »

I've had the lights come on the very odd time on various cars, i think its probably just dirt/water then it clears itself
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.