Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 5:25pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« power streering rack problem »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   power streering rack problem
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: power streering rack problem  (Read 679 times)
python9

1997 24v ghia saloon

View Profile Email

power streering rack problem
« on: Sep 11th, 2008, 12:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

i noticed today when i was renewing a wishbone on the nearside that power steering fliud was leaking from the gaiter  i had a closer look and when i moved the rubber gaiter the fliud poured out  is ther a seal  or can  the rack be repaired    my car is a 2.5 tdi  executive  estate 1995 m plate
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: power steering rack problem
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11th, 2008, 7:00am »

Python, the best solution is to obtain a new rack. There have, in the past, been attempts to re-build a rack but they were unsuccessful. A recent poster was about to try this IIRC but there has been no update. Replacement is fairly simple and a re-manufactured rack is about £200. You need to watch this carefully as the sudden loss of fluid will make the steering feel like lead.....not a pleasant experience. Details on how to do the change are on the site.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: power streering rack problem
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11th, 2008, 8:58am »

python9.
Simmo is quite right,they are not worth trying to repair,it may be scored internally and require machining.Best not to go to Ford,a local factor will do you one for under £200.
         GOZZ.
IP Logged
python9

1997 24v ghia saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 12th, 2008, 6:39am »

okay thanks for the replys
IP Logged
jossmirff

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 18th, 2008, 12:19pm »

Hi there, yes you can repair the rack ! BUT I would only advise non mechanics to attempt the repair of the nearside only, as this is a very easy job. The offside or drivers side involves the removal of the pinion gear and the rack assembley whilst at the same time withdrawing the inner rack support bush, all of which, without scoring the body or bar or it will leak irrepearably. I will post the nearside repair tomorrow when I have made a draft of some comprehensive instructions. .. Joss.
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Oct 18th, 2008, 9:31pm »

Personally I wouldn't attempt a repair.
I recently fitted ( with help from Simmo ) a good s/h rack I got for a few quid and it is working perfectly fine.
Recon racks are available for about £115 delivered to your door.
Takes only a couple of hours to remove the old one and fit a new one.

Kelly Bray Steering Racks sell on ebay for the above price - maybe less if you buy from them direct ?
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 18th, 2008, 10:29pm »

Scorpio_Mike.
Quite correct,I would second that,speaking from long and wasteful experience  Cry
          GOZZ.
IP Logged
jossmirff

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Nov 21st, 2008, 5:16pm »

Hi mate, sorry for the late reply, have not been on here for a while. Ok, first release the gaitor and move it to the rod end (while in situe as its easier) on both sides, then with a large pair of stillsons, undo the track arms at the inner universal joints. This leaves the arms and track rod ends on the car and eliminate the need to track em up on re-fitting. Now ondo the 2 main bolts that hold the rack and lower it down, this makes it easier to se what you are doing when you release the feed pipe's clamp and remove them. I usually tie them up or put a clean recepticle under them to catch the fluid. Now the repair !! work the piston in the rack left toright a few times to empty it of all the fluid and place it in a vice or bench with the nearside facing up, wind the rack well in so that you can see the support bush etc. around the top of the support bush is a sprung split collet and a vertical slot in the rack body, turn the collet till one of the ends is at the slot and prise it up from behind and hold it there with one screwdriver whilst prising it from under and working round the ram with another until it springs out. Now take your 2 screwdrivers and wedge them down between the ram and the bush inner body and turn the ram out and the bush will come with it. You will see it has a large O ring on the outside of the bush and an oil seal at the bottom for the inner seal, these are what you need to replace, by the way dont lose the plastic spacer and guide bush and take note where they came from !! thats it now go buy new ones and put it all back together not forgetting to prime the seals with fluid to help them back in. I got my new seals from City seals and bearings (sheffield) ... hope this helps ... Paul .. (jossmirff)
IP Logged
orbeas

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Nov 25th, 2008, 6:26pm »

for a quick repair job try Lucas Oils Power steering stop leak  does work, we use it on our classic rolls and bentleys
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.