Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 3rd, 2024, 12:14am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Airbag Warning Light »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Airbag Warning Light
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Airbag Warning Light  (Read 650 times)
Tony_E

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Airbag Warning Light
« on: Sep 19th, 2008, 7:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello everyone

I am a newbie so be gentle  Smiley

I have a problem with my airbag warning light on my 1996 2.0 ultima. Basicly it flickers when im driving along its not coming on and going off in a series of signals it just flickers does anyone have any ideas on what it could be

Thank You In Advance

Tony
IP Logged

Why do i have all these bits left over
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Airbag Warning Light
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20th, 2008, 3:43pm »

Tony, the most common fault is the connection in the steering wheel. Have a read of THIS page. Also check any connections under the drivers seat as sometimes the rear seat passengers can dislodge them. Welcome to the site.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Tony_E

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 21st, 2008, 10:30pm »

Thank you for your advice i will check it out
IP Logged

Why do i have all these bits left over
Ivan Pevnitsky

Scorpio Ghia '96, 2.3, Auto

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 21st, 2009, 9:53am »

Have the same problem. It flickers or constantly lights sometimes. If i hit slightly the dashborad or hit in the area, wehe diagnostic connector located (don't knopw how to name this place) - it dissapears, but then can show up again (on road defects).

I tried to jerk the yellow Airbag connector - no effect. But when I pass my fingers behind the dashboard I could feel some cable of wires. When I was touching this cable, the light flickered and disappeared. I have found the position of cable where airbag light is off, but it continued not long and airbag light became flickering (sometimes) again.

Could it be connector to the dashboard? Or it's most probably a steering connector?
IP Logged
wojtekor

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 21st, 2009, 9:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

dashboard connector Smiley when i bought mine it had the same issue and i've knocked off a few quid Smiley after that i only hit the dashboard once and the light went off and didn't come on ever since Cheesy  

also try poking the connectors under the seats from the pretensioners...
IP Logged
Ivan Pevnitsky

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 21st, 2009, 9:34pm »

d**n. Unassembled front panel. Checked connectors to the dashborard (found no bad thins). Assembled again - now get constant flash 1 time - the Driver's airbag fauilure Sad
IP Logged
Ivan Pevnitsky

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:59am »

Today take off the steering - the airbag secket was disconnected. It seems I assembled it with force in unneded place =))

Will see if the light will show up
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:07am »

If it comes of again, look carefully at which way round it goes.  
One way round it can catch on a lug on the wheel & get levered off when you press the horn.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Ivan Pevnitsky

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jun 23rd, 2009, 1:04am »

This evening sit in my car. After some driving the light showed up again! It's not related to turning the steering wheel.

I slightly hit near - it disappears. Hit again - it appears. As like I turning it on and off Cheesy

Take a look at the picture. The numbers show te strenght I need to aply to make airbag light on/off:

1 - Very-very slight hit is enough to change the light  
- the top of torpedo - note that one is far away enough from Airbag module
 - the area near the diagnistic connector (there's airbag module behind)

2 - Slight, but with some force to change the light
    - the side faces near radio (right and left)

3 - Even hard enough hit may do nothing with light
  - the top of steering wheel  
   - the dashboard face

So what could it beHuh

According to wiring the ABS light is on if there's "+" signal from Airbag Module:

If there were a wire brake between module and dashboard - the light never came up.
So the first supposition is that the "+" signal is always there, but there's wire break somewhere (though i tested socket C470a and C470b - wires are tighten) that disappears on hit and makes light to flash.  
BUT: if there's constant failure, why doesn't light flash when i turn the ignition on?

Another supposition is that there's no "+" signal form Airbag module, but when i hit - it appears. So Airbag Module thinks that there's failure in the system.
Could it be bad connection with sensor/airbag?

Anyway - It there's a failure, why the light never flashes when I turn the ignition on?

I'm little stuck. While wirting here I thought out the idea to test: it's possible that on startup the condition of all wires/connectors is non-failed. So I hit the sensible area to make light come up. Then i slightly turn the ignition off (not to make any stress to supposed broken wires) and slightly turn in on - then the light should flash. And even show me the code where the connection is bad. Ha-ha. I'll get it!

IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jun 23rd, 2009, 3:41am »

Several people have this including me, I think it’s been reported more on the mailing list.

Mine used to go out with an unbelievably light touch on top of the dash.
It tends to only happen in warm weather or once the cabin is hot in winter.
Sometimes my cruise light doesn’t work & I sometimes get the impression the two faults are linked.

I suspect the problem is in the instrument cluster & may even be a fault with the circuitry causing the LED to come on rather than an airbag fault. Not that I’m suggesting it should be ignored   NoNo  Sad

If I press on the instrument cluster in the area of the light it will often go out/come on
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
wojtekor

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 23rd, 2009, 6:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

take the instrument cluster out and re-solder the back of it and you should be fine.
IP Logged
Ivan Pevnitsky

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jun 23rd, 2009, 2:03pm »

Today I got the situation when the light came up again! So i stopped the car. Turned off the ignition. Te I turned it on - and the AirBag lamp  showed up and continued lightening. Not flashing.
Oh, it seems the instrument cluster has to be taken out to look into Cry
IP Logged
heliphil58

Scorpio 2.3 saloon 97

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 6:05pm »

Hi have had airbag light doing its thing for a year now lost my rag the other day hit steering wheel pad and the light has been off since heres hoping
IP Logged
Cosray

8th Scorpio, 2nd Cosworth: currently '95

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Jul 12th, 2009, 9:02pm »

Had this situation 'very effectively cured before. In my case I cleaned all connectors and receptacles at the back of the instrument cluster and Bingo.

Also cured the spurious and maddening flickering of the 'door-ajar' lamps when the doors were all closed.

Also cured the idiotic readings from my trip computer and buttons not responding.

There must be a lot of dust floating round the back of the cluster probably from a small air leak in the heating ducts.

If you work carefully with the fascia - not breaking it - you can take the instrument cluster out without having to dismount the steering wheel nor its shroud.

YMMV but worked in my case.

Ray

IP Logged
Ivan Pevnitsky

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:51am »

Yesterday took out  the instrument cluster and resoldered connectors' pins. Going to set it back in the evening.
Anything else I should resolder before fitting it back?
IP Logged
Ivan Pevnitsky

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Aug 7th, 2009, 8:07pm »

Resoldered connectors on the backside of instrument cluster. Now it seems to work (no airbag flickering seen) !!!  Cool  (though I've driven not too much yet)
Moreover, cleaned the air louvres (will create another thread soon on that - there're some problems;) )

What I didn't understand is that I was able somehow to take off the bezel without removing steering (took 3 minutes), but could not set it back not removing steering (took about 10 minutes to realize that I cannot do it)  Grin

PS: the only problem left now is the gearbox... I'm almost glad =)
IP Logged
Cosray

8th Scorpio, 2nd Cosworth: currently '95

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Aug 7th, 2009, 10:58pm »

Only works the way back in when you make sure the steering wheel is in full DOWN and OUT position...
Worked for me...
Ray
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.