Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 8:35am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« non runner at times »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   non runner at times
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: non runner at times  (Read 514 times)
joe-satch

joe satriani is the best guitarist in the world.

View Profile

non runner at times
« on: Sep 26th, 2008, 11:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi all members,well if its not one thing its another.daughter was with us this morning...went to start the engine (2.3 auto)..engine started ok..but stalled as soon as the key was released...plenty of fuel..and the fuel pump is running ok....i took off the aux fuse box cover to locate the green relay..(fuel pump)..it was warm....but not over warm nor hot...replaced it with a spare green relay...and it started ok....so could it have been the relay or was it just by luck it started??..time will tell...regards den. Smiley.ps sorry forgot to say..its had this problem for a week or so now.. Smiley.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: non runner at times
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26th, 2008, 1:23pm »

Could have just been the relay. I had my car suddenly cut out while driving along about a year ago. I happened to have a spare relay in the boot so tried it & the car roared back to life & has been running fine ever since  Smiley
IP Logged
joe-satch

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 26th, 2008, 1:53pm »

thank you jc.i hope that the relay was the cause,our daughter is riding around as i type this...and all seems well,shes off to brighton this afternoon..so we will see.thanks again..regards den. Smiley.
IP Logged
joe-satch

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Sep 27th, 2008, 5:48pm »

well our daughter reports that the car still sometimes wont start...so maybe the green relpy that i put in...in place of the originial one..may be faulty as well...but im going to have a look at it tomorrow. Smiley.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Sep 28th, 2008, 1:34am »

Is the new relay brand new or 2nd hand ? It's always a possibilty that it's duff as well, also give the contacts a good clean.

Just a thought, have you checked that the small lead on the battery neg is nice & tight ?  Smiley
IP Logged
joe-satch

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 28th, 2008, 9:22am »

hi and thanks jc.well its a second hand relay.from the daughters scrap ultima saloon....as we are going there for dinner today... Smiley...i can do as you said...i will clean both relays..thanks jc... Smiley.regards den.
IP Logged
pat

Rover 75. Rover 620. Ford P100 Pickup.

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 9th, 2008, 8:18pm »

Is it OK now? Our Mondeo is doing same thing but it's the immobiliser playing up.
IP Logged

You don't have to be mad to own a Scorp - but it helps!
joe-satch

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Oct 11th, 2008, 11:24am »

MMmmm..yes it could well be the immobiliser.....but i did find out one thing....a few days ago..i noticed that all of the wiring  around the throttle body..had all the insulation off of it..and some of the bare wires were touching one another..to keep them apart i wound black tape round them as a temp repair..but im going to have to do a permanant repair very soon..since finding the wires in that state...and myself repairing them..our daughter has said that the car starts ok...and runs very well..all of the time..i will feel better when i carry out the wiring repairs on a permanant basis. Smiley.regards to all.den. Smiley.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Oct 11th, 2008, 11:43am »

Could well have been the wiring loom if the wires were bare & touching...

...That could be the reason why Ford call it the 'Fuel cut off loom'  Wink
IP Logged
joe-satch

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Oct 11th, 2008, 1:19pm »

Grin Grin...hi jon,well im hoping thats the cause of the trouble...thing is...the moment you touch any wiring..the insulation crumbles away...so to start covering 3inchs of bare wiring...in the end you cover 10inchs...i think i have my work cut out for me when i do the job... Angry..oh well be worth it in the end. Smiley.regards den.
IP Logged
DavidBE

1998 Ghia X 2.9 24V Auto Estate

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Oct 15th, 2008, 5:36pm »

I've had my 2.3 auto for a year now, and I've had maybe 5 or 6 instances of the same symptoms, spread out over the year: engine fires immediately, but cuts when key released. Each time, it's eventually started OK after I've left it for a little, and then its been fine, starting first touch every time for weeks/months until the next instance.

The first time I was in a supermarket car park, I called the RAC, and the car wouldn't start each time I tried in the hour I was waiting, but, of course, started first touch when the RAC guy turned up and asked me to turn the engine over while he was looking under the bonnet! The rest of the times it's started after leaving it for just a few minutes.The last time was last week at the MOT testing garage when the tester tried to start the car to move it in to start the test! He was puzzled, but again it finally went after he left it for a couple of minutes.

I can't see any pattern in when it happens. I think (but am not entirely sure) that each time it had been raining earlier in the day, although it wasn't at the time. However there have been many, many times when it had been raining earlier in the day but it started without problems.

I am mystified. And it happens so rarely and unpredictably, I can't see how to look into it myself, or ask a garage too given that it almost certainly won't happen while they have it.
IP Logged
joe-satch

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Oct 15th, 2008, 7:11pm »

hi davidbe,thats the same thing that happened to our daughter 2.3 as you said.this would happen many times during the day,until i found some wiring near the TPS,maybe 9 or 10 wires were bare,the insulation had crumbled away and wires were touching each other,i made good with black tape for now,but im going to replace the wires with new (not worried about the colours)..but since i carried out the temp repair and covered the wires and kept them apart the engine starts first time every time.so im confident that what i did was and has been a success Smiley.but im not leaving it at that,i will do a proper repair very soon.this may help you in solving the problem with your ultima...well i hope so. Smiley.regards den.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Oct 15th, 2008, 8:10pm »

Den, if you are going to do a re-wire have a look at THIS firm who do a wide range and are very good. Just be aware that although some of the connectors LOOK the same they are not compatible with our cars. The best method is to try and keep just enough of the old wire in to the connector to solder the new wire onto. Use 'heat shrink' to seal the joint. Good luck.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
joe-satch

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Oct 15th, 2008, 8:28pm »

thank you simmo,this company that you mentioned and myself are old friends.... Smiley.i have found them very helpful in the past,so thanks again for that Smiley.i dare say i will be using them again with the re-wire.regards den. Smiley.ps thank you for your tip on the soldering.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.