Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 10:26am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Headlights again »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Headlights again
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Headlights again  (Read 532 times)
PeteB

2.0 16v Ultima Saloon RIP \ 2.5 TD Ultima Saloon

View Profile

Headlights again
« on: Sep 26th, 2008, 9:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Yet again my headlights are playing up, not coming on when switched on, full beams instead of side lights, parking light instead of dipped plus the nice feature of them staying on when turned off!

I put this down to a faulty relay before as I could hear it whining from the fuse box. So I replaced this and it was fine for a while then it happened again. Now I'm 3 fuses down and its happened again.

I don't want to admit it but I reckon the fuse back has had it. This is odd as the drain holes are fine and the box is dry, plus the rest of the cars electrics are fine....

I've had her for over 18 months and all has been fine but this is starting to try my patience !

Your thoughts ?

Thanks

Pete
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: Headlights again
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26th, 2008, 9:52pm »

Just replied on your other post Smiley

Have you checked the light switch??

They are bad for melting at the back
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 27th, 2008, 8:39am »

Pete,I agree with Stuart. The connector block behind the light switch is a place to check for signs of burning. Are the bulbs standard or have they been uprated?...in some case the old wiring will not stand the extra load. Hopefully that will solve the problem. If not the other area to check is where the loom runs across from left to right at the front of the car by the rad as this is prone to cracking.  There is also a known problem with the boot hinge fouling the loom and causing wires to fracture. You may need to unwrap some of the outer black tape in order to see the individual wires. Also check where this loom enters the area from under the rear seat.  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
PeteB

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Sep 27th, 2008, 10:17am »

Its definately not the switch bought another one from a scrappy only to have the same results...

Simmo I'll take a look at what you've said although nothings been changed in the 18 months I've had her.

Oddly enough it all appears to be working normally this morning again, that was until I opened my passenger door then it went crazyville yet again!!!!

Pete
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Sep 27th, 2008, 4:00pm »

Pete. Is that a clue then??. What about the wires to the door switches etc which are in the rubber gaiter. The switches are illuminated so there must be a link to the lighting circuit?. Try disconnecting the plug to the door and see if that has any effect. The other component which can cause troubles is the cigar lighter socket if it shorts out . Again that would be illuminated when the side lights are on.  Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
PeteB

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 30th, 2008, 1:41pm »

Well had a play and still no joy, luckily PeteHull is selling off his spares so I'll be getting a new fuse box soon. However I've looked through the various guides and can't find how to remove it ? Will I need to dissassemble part of the dash ??

Pete
IP Logged

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 30th, 2008, 3:09pm »

hi there

you get to it from underneath. 4 small nuts/bolts. if you look up from the pedals, you'll see them (and all the plugs).

not as much hard to do, just a right pain (or so i've been told. Wink)

hth
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 30th, 2008, 7:39pm »

Hmmm speaking from experience i'd definitely be trying a known working light switch and checking out the passenger door wiring first before I changed a fusebox without being 100% sure thats where the problem lies Wink
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 30th, 2008, 9:59pm »

Hi Pete,
Parcel on it's way bud.

The job is a fiddly one, you'll have to remove the lower facia and all the bits to get to the four 10mm bolts that hold the fb in place.  I wound the seat right back and litterally laid out with my head resting on the pedals, Very uncomfortable.  Once you have the unit in sight you'll have to unplug all the connectors, don't worry where they go cos they are keyed so will only go back where they belong.  Unscrew the 4 10mm nuts and lift the fusebox out from above after disconnecting it of course.  Refitting is the reverse and is slightly easier.

Make sure you get the 2 lugs on the top multiconnector located in the holes before clamping it down, aparently this is a common mistake others have made in the past.

Allow yourself plenty of time, and planty of cuppas and you'll be ok.
I would take photo's of the job for reference, as I said you will have to fit fuses and relays back in as per your config (photos handy).

When you're done, retain the old fusebox as it can be stripped on the bench and cleaned following the instructions in the maintenance section under 'Fusebox' you then will have a spare.... Wink

Link to stripdown job http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/fusebox.htm

I haven't gone into full detail about the job as it's about 5 years since I did mine and it was on my old Granada, same box, same job but different car.... Wink
Have fun

hth
Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.