Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 8:30am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Gearbox fluid brown!!!!!!! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Gearbox fluid brown!!!!!!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Gearbox fluid brown!!!!!!!  (Read 397 times)
Tony_E

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Gearbox fluid brown!!!!!!!
« on: Oct 12th, 2008, 1:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have been out to the car today and cleaned my MAF it was very dirty does seem to have made the gearbox perform slightly better though Smiley but i checked the gearbox oil and it was brown didnt seem to have any bits in it but deffo brown i have read that brown fluid is bad and can be terminal for the box is this the case? also i dont think changing the fluid is a job i can really do so do i need to get this done asap?

Thank You

Tony
IP Logged

Why do i have all these bits left over
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: Gearbox fluid brown!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12th, 2008, 3:20pm »

Tony.
Brown or beige fluid is not a good sign but need not be terminal,a filter and oil change is always worthwhile and can make a difference,it's definitely a lot cheaper than having the box out.
        GOZZ
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 12th, 2008, 9:02pm »

If the gearbox is behaving itself then theres no panic, i'd leave the gearbox removal until its necassary. the oil change isnt too difficult if you can get it up on ramps, can be a bit messy though Wink
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 13th, 2008, 6:20pm »

Tony,
I wouldn't panic - so long as the gearbox is working fine and the ATF does not smell like burnt toffee and does not have debris in it I would say it is far from terminal. A fluid and filter change should however extend the life of the autobox.  

The ATF in my gearbox is a pale brown ( it was like it when I bought the car ) but the gearbox works very smoothly without any issues and with 134k on it I accept that it probably has more miles behind it than in front. Some discolouration of the fluid is not unusual with age and mileage according to a mechanic friend of mine.

I had the fluid changed last year as a precaution but bear in mind that you can't get it all out as some remains in the torque converter you will end up mixing some old and some new fluid so a fluid change will not give you nice pink fluid on the dipstick, rather a paler, more pinky brown.

I will just run mine until it packs up - I was fortunate enough to recently get hold of a spare autobox from another 2.3 Scorpio with a good pink colour ATF which I have stashed in my garage ready for when the day arrives...not looking forward to that as it is rather heavy.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.