Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 8:30am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Brake Cylinder. Including Photos. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Brake Cylinder. Including Photos.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Brake Cylinder. Including Photos.  (Read 2570 times)
Kenboy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Brake Cylinder. Including Photos.
« on: Oct 22nd, 2008, 4:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi I have fitted new brake discs and pads to the front and rear, but encountered a problem when fitting n/s read  (Solid Discs) after replacing with new pads there was no way it was going to slide on to the disc I needed at least another 4mm I attempted to wind back the brake cylinder again but without success to cut a long story short I was forced to put the old brake pads back on and even fitting these was a mare now I know I am knocking 70 and perhaps should not be tackling these jobs but for the life of me I cannot understand as I am convinced the cylinder was not back far enough and yet I used the same winding back tool for the other three with no problem before I lose it all together can anyone shed some light on this problem btw took the car for a brake test and all seems well but I am unhappy with old disc pads being on. The disc I fitted is definately the right one and so are the brake pads, god I am rambling on here, suggestions please.

Kenboy
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: Brake Cylinder?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22nd, 2008, 4:20pm »

If the piston can't be fully pushed back then it sounds like it may be seized  Sad

Have you tried giving a bit more pressure when winding it back, this might free it if it's stuck  Smiley
IP Logged
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 22nd, 2008, 5:27pm »

If the piston is turning within the caliper body then it shouldnt be seized.
When I did mine with long nose pliars it did take ages to get it far enough back.  
Its a while since I did them but from memory the piston was almost flush with the caliper body and even then there was very little clearence to get the whole lot back over the disc.
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 22nd, 2008, 6:01pm »

It does take ages with the longnosed pliers, i ended up buying the windback tool about £15 and it cut the time right back.... it should go all the way back until it stops then you'll have no more problems, it automatically adjusts.... Wink

Hth
Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 22nd, 2008, 6:24pm »

Kenboy it may be that the handbrake part of the caliper is stuck on slightly so forcing the piston out a bit?
it works with a cam, make sure the arm that the cable connects to isnt seized or sticking.

the pistons sometimes come back out slowly on their own too, even with the reservoir lid removed, I've had to push them back then rush the pads and the caliper into place and over the disc before they come back out Smiley
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Kenboy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Oct 22nd, 2008, 7:33pm »

I think problem has been solved (I HOPE) I have a part time job driving school children to there homes and back and our Transits are maitained by our own Mechanic, when I explained the problem to him he immediaty told me what it was, he explained that the rear calipers are thread handed the n/s piston winder is turned to the right were as the o/s has an opposite thread and has to be wound back to the left, he explained this was  peculiar to Fords, he has even loaned me the appropriate windy back tool for a left handed thread, this would explain why the old pads were difficult to fit back over the brake disc (I had been winding the wrong way) thus opening  it.  Come the weekend I will have another go and keep you informed,.  (WE LIVE AND LEARN)  but many thanks for your quick response.

Kenboy
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 22nd, 2008, 9:24pm »

Kenboy.
I must say that all the Scorp brakes I have done,using 90 degree circlip pliers,I have never found them to have opposed threads.There is a strange anomoly whereby once or twice the bleed screw needs to be opened to get the piston right back.Don't ask me why,it defies logic,but it's a fact.
       GOZZ.
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 22nd, 2008, 9:29pm »

I'm with Gozz too, Have done mine plenty of times, always turned them the same way.... Huh
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Oct 23rd, 2008, 1:26am »

Just to confirm, the rear caliper pistons do not have opposite threads......they both wind in clockwise  Smiley
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 23rd, 2008, 8:01am »

Stay away from the Transit mechanic Wink

A lot of cars do have this left hand threaded rear caliper, not just Ford but the Scorpio doesnt.
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 23rd, 2008, 8:04am »

I agree the Scorpio rear BRAKE CALIPERS only wind back CLOCKWISE
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 23rd, 2008, 8:31am »

Kenboy.
By the sound of things,you should allow extra stopping distance when you drive those hildren in the Trannys !  Sad
         GOZZ.
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Oct 23rd, 2008, 8:59am »

caliper will be 'normal' right hand thread as mentioned, make sure hand brake lever on caliper is right back on its stop, check that piston ratchets out when park lever worked. make sure cut out in piston aligns with pimple on back of pad.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Oct 23rd, 2008, 9:14am »

Highlander's suggestion at 4 seems to make sense. The reason the rear calipers wind back  (and they do wind back clockwise as everyone else has said) is because the handbrake works on them. The lever on the top of the caliper is notorious for 'sticking' particularly if the car is an Auto and left in Park rather than using the h/brake.  Did you use a 'wind back' tool the first time ?. Also make sure that the pins on the caliper are sliding freely.  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Oct 23rd, 2008, 9:33am »

Both calipers wound back the same way when I did my brake pads - used the same windy-back tool on both.
Think the mechanics advice is wrong.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 23rd, 2008, 6:29pm »

Unless you've got the wrong thickness  discs  Undecided  

Check that the handbrake lever is at its furthest  back postion.

Well  done  to  septuagenarian   Kenboy Wink  for  tackling  these  tricky  jobs.

I'm  20 years younger and  my  clickity   joints  don't  take  kindly  to  prolonged  
kneeling  and  stretching. Tongue
IP Logged
Kenboy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:35pm »

Well that one caused quite a stir and many thanks guys for your feedback and I have to say that the advice given to me by the said mechanic is obviously wrong but I do believe he acted in good faith I have printed these topics off and when Term Time starts again I will let him have a look, in the meantime I have no intention of attempting to replace with new pads, the ones I put on although not new have a fair bit of wear left in them and quite frankly I am sick of it. but once again many thanks for your feed back, absolutely suberb (Brilliant Forum).

Kenboy
IP Logged
python9

1997 24v ghia saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Oct 29th, 2008, 7:34pm »

i did discs and pads on the rear of my scorp  and the both wound back clockwise  with the wind back tool
very easy job to do  i did the front discs and pads  and pushed the piston back  with the plastic end of awheel nut spanner
IP Logged
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Nov 1st, 2008, 11:04am »

Kenboy,
I put new rear pads in my 2.0l Ultima yesterday and something interesting (infuriating at the time) happened. Winding back the piston on o/side was no problem (I use a manual wire stripper tool which works perfectly to do this). BUT, on the n/side I had a problem. The piston appeared to wind back about 3mm and then just kept turing but not going back any further. I checked to see if it was enough with the new pads and no way would they fit without the piston going back further. I kept on winding for 20 mins and still it would not move back even though it turns. I was stumped so I re-checked the hanbrake was off and the cam was back on its stop and still no joy. It was soon to get dark so rationale thinking started to go out the window and I started to believe I was winding the wrong way. So I wound it anti-clockwise just a few turns and the piston almost came out of the bore very rapidly (opposite to what I wanted). This confirmed (quite dramatically) that the original winding direction was correct (that is clockwise for both sides) so I tried again from this new start position and hey presto! it wound back all the way quickly and easily. Conclusion, although I'm not familiar with the caliper mechanics it was almost as if the mechanism for allowing winding back was 'disengaged' (hence me turning it endlessly to no avail) but by winding a few turns the opposite way had 're-engaged' the mechanism and it all worked from then on. I hope this information is useful to you but I would say beware because winding in the 'wrong' direction cause the piston to move relatively RAPIDLY and if done too much could (I guess) cause the piston to pop out completely (??).
IP Logged
Kenboy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Nov 1st, 2008, 3:36pm »

Hi thanks for that, if and when I get round to doing it I will bear all comments in mind.

Kenboy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.