Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 8:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Heated front & rear screens »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Heated front & rear screens
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Heated front & rear screens  (Read 582 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Heated front & rear screens
« on: Oct 29th, 2008, 1:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It seems that the cold weather has revealed another slight problem with the wifes 2.3 Ultima estate....no heated front or rear screens  Roll Eyes

Have checked F20 & R4/R5 (replaced with known working ones) in the central fusebox & in the battery fusebox have checked F38/F41 & also replaced R18 with a known working relay, but still no joy  Huh

Everything else electrical works fine & I find it rather difficult to believe that both front & rear screen elements are completely kaput  Undecided

Usually at least part of the element works  Huh

Is there another fuse or relay that I've missed that is exclusively for both heated screens ?  Huh

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated  Smiley

P.S...I haven't checked whether there is a voltage going to the screen connections as my multimeter has bit the dust after 15 years of service.....it may be the time to buy a new one  Wink
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Heated front & rear screens
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29th, 2008, 7:29am »

Jon, could this be the actual switches ?. You appear to have checked out all the other possibilities. The front screen leads can be damaged when a screen is replaced or I suppose someone could 'economise' and not have a heated screen as a replacement but I would have thought the rear screen unlikely to suffer the same fate. Looks like it's time for an early Xmas present from Maplins!. Wink

The details of the screen connecting points are shown HERE.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 29th, 2008, 8:42am »

Jonnycab.
What about a little bulb holder with two bits of wire as a temporary substitute for your meter ?
        GOZZ.
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 29th, 2008, 9:00am »

hi jc

have you checked fuse 36? the screens are on a timer, so might go though the ccm. Undecided

also try the diagnostic check.

i'd always check all fuses as so many things are inter-connected on the scorpio.

hth
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 30th, 2008, 2:38pm »

Problem solved, I think....won't really know until next time the screens freeze or badly mist-up.....

On removing the trim cover in the boot to check the rear screen connections it was obvious what the problem was..... the O/S connector had come away from the screen  Huh

I soldered the connector back on to the element & then checked the voltage with the multimeter (mutimeter only needed a new battery  Roll Eyes) & had a healthy 14V, then checked the continuity of the screen element & that was fine  Smiley

Regarding the front screen, the connections are fine, so checked continuity of element & that was fine, then checked voltage & again a good 14V  Cheesy

So it appears that both front & rear heated screens are now working & I can only assume that the reason neither were working before was all down to rear screen connector that had come off  Undecided

P.S....I can't get this diagnostic thing to work either on mine or the wifes Scorpio. I think I'm doing it right  Undecided
    Turn on ign, press & hold heated rear screen button for 10 seconds, then while still holding button in, switch engine on, then release button & it should be in diagnostic mode.
   After doing this then opening doors etc do not produce a beep  Huh
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 30th, 2008, 2:50pm »

Make sure the buttons are in the right place Jonny, there seems to be a few of them have been swapped over in the past, I have one car with the front heated screen switch on the top and the other with it on the bottom Wink
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 30th, 2008, 2:51pm »

Stuart, buttons are in the right positions  Wink

You can tell which one is the heated rear screen as it can be switched on with just the ignition turned on, whereas to switch on the heated front screen the engine has to be running  Smiley
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Oct 31st, 2008, 1:39am »

Finally got the diagnostic check to work, but not the way it describes it on the site.

The way I got it to work was.......press & hold in the heated rear screen switch, then turn on ignition, carry on holding switch in for approx 10 seconds, release it & 3 bongs are heard to tell you it's in diagnostic mode. There was no need to start the engine  Smiley
IP Logged
Scorpio

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Oct 31st, 2008, 1:48am »

Jon,  what is the diagnostic check you mention!

Thanks
IP Logged

Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Oct 31st, 2008, 2:04am »

It's a way of checking if the central control module that controls all the timed features like intermittent wipers, heated screens, interior lights etc is working correctly.

The idea is once it's in diagnostic mode then pressing a heated window switch or opening the door etc should produce a bong to indicate that the central control module (timer) is working correctly  Smiley
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 31st, 2008, 9:50am »

on Oct 31st, 2008, 2:04am, Jonnycab wrote:
It's a way of checking if the central control module that controls all the timed features like intermittent wipers, heated screens, interior lights etc is working correctly.

The idea is once it's in diagnostic mode then pressing a heated window switch or opening the door etc should produce a bong to indicate that the central control module (timer) is working correctly  Smiley

Cor Jon,
wish I hadn't sold my Scorp now, I didn't know about this little trinket.... Huh I wonnanuther Scorp.... ROFL

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.