Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 6:23am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Hard to start 12v Auto »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Hard to start 12v Auto
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hard to start 12v Auto  (Read 385 times)
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

Hard to start 12v Auto
« on: Nov 6th, 2008, 8:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have a 1995 12v Auto  

It has been fine all through the summer no problems at all i even left it a month without starting it and it went instantly when i went to it all was well until monday morning (the car was last run last thursday) it wouldnt start  cranked fine and had a spark so i unpluged the tps ( to put the ecu in limp mode as advised by my local ford dealer )  and after  few coughs it started so i suspected the tps but before i ordered a new one £55+vat i switched the engine off and plugged it back in and the car started instantly ? anyway it was fine for the rest of the day apart from cutting out once  .
I went to the car today and again it wouldnt start so i unpugged the tps and it still wouldnt start only after about 45minutes of trying it coughed and fired then run but when switched off after it warmed up it was very reluctant to restart   .  

The fuseboxes are dry but the engine loom doesnt look fantastic could this be dodgy wires and damp weather  ?

Any ideas before i remove the engine loom to "re-string" it ?
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: Hard to start 12v Auto
« Reply #1 on: Nov 6th, 2008, 10:21pm »

Could well be the infamous engine loom,I didn't realise that the engine would start with TPS disconnected,they certainly stop when disconnected.You should be able to start the engine with a faulty TPS by varying the accelerator position beause they usually get a bad spot in one place only,usually in the idling or very slow speed positions causing problems at road junctions and traffic lights etc.
Are you aware of the three signal wires bound together and shielded that go from the distributor to the ECU ?
        GOZZ.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Hard to start 12v Auto
« Reply #2 on: Nov 6th, 2008, 10:29pm »

Have you knocked the vacuum pipe off by mistake.. Its located under the IACV and is easily done causes all sort of problems  

Its a little black flexible pipe and runs back towards the bulkhead .
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.