Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 11:22pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Xenon conversion but now on continually »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Xenon conversion but now on continually
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Xenon conversion but now on continually  (Read 853 times)
Malcolm73

View Profile

Xenon conversion but now on continually
« on: Nov 10th, 2008, 3:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have a 24v Ultima on which I have converted the dipped beams to xenon discharge tubes and these have worked well for eighteen months but today the dipped beam xenon dipped beams are continually on, no matter where the rotary light switch is positioned and with the engine on or off.

Headlight power is taken via an added fuse directly from the battery and when the added in line relay is powered on from the original headlight circuit the xenon bulbs illuminate.  The relay coil is now permanently energised.  The relay has been checked and it is O.K.  The four pin relay socket now has two permanent 12 volts, one of which is the input voltage to the normally open contacts from the battery and the other 12v should not be present unless powered from the rotary light switch.

I have not yet checked the wiring but recall that the rotary light switch on the right of the dashboard may be subject to problems.

With the lighting switch in the vertical ‘Off’ or any other position is it likely to fail into a closed circuit situation thereby powering the added relay.  

Can I get at the switch by removing the black plastic surround, or does the whole dashboard have to come off?

Any suggestions appreciated.

73’s Regards  Malcolm
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: Xenon conversion but now on continually
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10th, 2008, 4:11pm »

hi there

the details for the switch removal are near the bottom of this page... http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/fasciabulbs.htm

hth
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 10th, 2008, 7:51pm »

The problem I think you are referring to is usually an overheated 'pin' in the large connector behind the switch.  Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Malcolm73

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 10th, 2008, 9:52pm »

Thank you both for your comments. I now have the diagrams for accessing and removing the light switch.

An hour ago I intended checking the various circuits, however the fault has apparently cured itself.

Simmo.  I have never heard of a heated pin.  The relay for my xenon conversion has a coil resistance of 78 ohms which indicates a current of no more than 200 milliamps.

How do I cure a ‘heated pin’? Do I clean the multiplug or replace the light switch?  

Any suggestions appreciated  

73’s  Malcolm
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Nov 11th, 2008, 8:15am »

The 'pin' is one in the large socket behind the switch. Shown here. This is a similar diagram to the one posted by Andrew but the connector is shown in the last section. We did at one one time have a photo of the connector showing discoloration to the plastic caused by heat/corrosion and thus affecting the connection. If you look under 'Fault finder', electrical, this is the suggested cause. As for remedy, if this is the cause, I guess it depends on the extent of damage and whether you can clean it or,as has been done before I believe, simply by-pass the damaged 'pin' in the large connector by means of a new wire. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 11th, 2008, 8:40am »

the ';heated pin usually refers to in op lights, not perminantly on, first guess would be water ingress in fuse box, dit yours have dim dip, as can get problem with control unit, also check cigar lighter socket / wiring for a back feed, are any panel lights on at same time, you need to find where the relay is getting a 'trigger' feed from.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Malcolm73

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Nov 11th, 2008, 1:50pm »

Gentlemen.

Thank you for your replies and suggestions.

I have looked through the Scorpio site for advice on my problem but it is easy to miss something.

Responding to Martin.  As I installed the xenon conversion I know that the relay coil derives power from the nearside wire which formerly powered the filament bulb, however the xenon lights came on by themselves whilst the car was parked and the rotary light switch was off.  By chance I happened to be near my local garage in Stourbridge and they confirmed that the relay had energised. The fault has now self corrected which makes finding the cause more difficult. Regarding dim/dip.  Yes I did have that problem which was resolved.  A wet circuit board is a possibility although the battery cover is in place, and the car is always garaged when not in use.  

Evans Halshaw tell me that switches are available at £56.79 inclusive, part number 7142885.

I will let you know what I find.  

Regards,  73’s Malcolm

P.S. In case you wonder, when Morse code was used the numbers 73 (--…  …--) were used to indicate ‘Best wishes’.  I put this in just in case some old timer recognises the figures.  M
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Nov 12th, 2008, 8:52am »

bit of an old CB term that one, 73's & 88's.
water ingress is still best bet, I think even more so if it was unattended at time of fault, dont forget other fuse box dvrs side, or even a bit of wiring loom problem, you wouldnt need a great lot of 'juice' to 'pull' a relay. have known the HRW to get 'turned on' in this situation causing battery drain.
good luck.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Nov 12th, 2008, 9:47am »

The other place to check is the loom running across from n/s to o/s lights in front of the rad etc. A known place for wiring troubles and if they have been 'disturbed' during the conversion a good bet for water ingress. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Malcolm73

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Nov 12th, 2008, 11:15am »

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have had the lighting switch out and two of the pins are not as bright as the others but there is no corrosion or burning and nothing that could short out and trigger the relay

I am now inclined to agree that water, even wiring could be the cause. As the fault has now self cured I will await any further developments.  If the car is parked for a long time I can easily remove the relay and I always carry jump leads.

Next task is heating, the air is only tepid. Last year I had the same problem and I hope that a back flush will cure it again.

Never used CB radio but took out an amateur radio licence over forty years ago, now lapsed.

Simmo.  Been an OAP for 12 years

Regards   Malcolm
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Nov 15th, 2008, 5:55pm »

Malcolm,

can I ask why you added the extra relay etc. for the xenon circuit? The kit I had on mine was a direct replacement with the ballasts etc. drawing power straight from the headlamp circuit. I never had any issues with overheating or failure as the total load was only slightly more than the headlights draw on normal bulbs

Baz
IP Logged
Malcolm73

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Nov 20th, 2008, 10:23am »

Hello Baz,

Sorry for not replying sooner.  I have sorted out the paperwork which came with the lighting kit and checked the circuit diagrams. The kit came with an external 40 amp relay ready cabled to an in line fuse.

I just went ahead and used the cable assembly, energising the relay from the original nearside headlight connection.

Why did I do this?  .Ask Simmo, he is an O.A.P. and may understand (Simmo, I am only joking). In retrospect installing the cable was a waste of time.

Referring to my original post. The fault has not reoccurred, it does seem that water or corrosion was/is the most likely cause.  

Gozz, If you happen to read this. Sometime ago I believe you offered me a chime box, and I apologise for not coming back to you  If you still have one I am interested in buying, but joy of joys I have tepid air from the car heater on which subject I will start another thread.

Regards, Malcolm
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 20th, 2008, 11:29pm »

Malcolm.
Was that the box under the fascia near your left knee from which I disconnect the "not in park" wire ?
        GOZZ.
IP Logged
Malcolm73

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Nov 21st, 2008, 9:33pm »

Hello Gozz,

Several months ago all my chimes stopped.  I seem to remember that you do not like chimes but I miss them.  There is apparently no fuse problem and I believe you said the box was above the foot pedals.  I searched the area and found only one box. I moved the multi plug about but nothing came to life.  If you do have the box I will risk it and attempt to ring in the New Year.
         Regards Malcolm
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 21st, 2008, 9:39pm »

Malcolm.
I must have a chime box or two lying about,let me know if you think yours is the culprit and I'll have a butchers around.
         GOZZ.
IP Logged
Malcolm73

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Nov 25th, 2008, 12:00pm »

Hello Gozz,

I know of no way of testing the chime box and as all sound has failed I would like to buy the box from you. Please advise. I live near Stourbridge, West Midlands

Regards Malcolm
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Nov 25th, 2008, 2:36pm »

Malcolm.
£12 all in,PM me your address.
      GOZZ.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.