Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 6:18am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« ignition key/s »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   ignition key/s
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ignition key/s  (Read 574 times)
mikeart

I know NUFINK honest guv !

View Profile WWW

ignition key/s
« on: Nov 14th, 2008, 9:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi folks, ok i have just found out that with only one key "red" to my Scorp i am going to be stuffed, i need a new one as it is rather worn, and i now have problems getting it started, is there a way round this with out paying more for the key than the car is worth !! Sad
IP Logged

This life ?
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: ignition key/s
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14th, 2008, 9:32am »

hi there

get a key cut at a local locksmiths and then code it to the car..... http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/images/handbook040.gif

if the system is full (x? amount of keys), then you need to get it all reprogrammed by ford, although some locksmiths can do this as well.

hth
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14th, 2008, 3:47pm »

Not sure if you mean you have the red master key or just a black key with a red bit on top  Undecided

If you have the red master key then as Scorpioman says, a locksmith can cut you one & you can programme it yourself. Ford can also cut a new chipped key which will already be programmed for £20.

If you only have a black key with the red mark on top then it's a little more difficult. Ford can do a new chipped one but it may take a while as they will have to go through their computer records etc & it may cost a bit.  

Another alternative is to get a new plain key cut (£10 from FMD) & either pull the metal bit out of the key & fix it into the chipped key with strong glue, or just tape the old chipped key to the new key so it's close to the ignition & the car will still recognise the code  Smiley

Hope this helps  Smiley
IP Logged
mikeart

I know NUFINK honest guv !

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14th, 2008, 4:45pm »

Thanks guys, what would we all do with out you Undecided i will look at my options and see how we do, once again many thanks cheers Mike. Wink
IP Logged

This life ?
lesterlad aka Rodders

2.3 Ghia x Estate (Manual)

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15th, 2008, 1:48am »

on Nov 14th, 2008, 9:14am, mikeart wrote:
Hi folks, ok i have just found out that with only one key "red" to my Scorp i am going to be stuffed, i need a new one as it is rather worn, and i now have problems getting it started, is there a way round this with out paying more for the key than the car is worth !! Sad

Does the key open the doors ok ?
If so it may be the ign barrel thats worn.
I had the same problem, key was very difficult to turn in the barrel, took the key to my local fmd and had a new barrel made up, cost was approx £45
IP Logged

There's are methods to my madness!!! I'm not sure what the methods are but there's definitely madness in them
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 15th, 2008, 8:39am »

The details of how to replace the ignition switch are HERE. The most important thing is to do it while the key will turn to Position 1 otherwise you have a major problem.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.