Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 3rd, 2024, 6:37am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 24v Auto 'box drive issue. Help Please. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   24v Auto 'box drive issue. Help Please.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 24v Auto 'box drive issue. Help Please.  (Read 1415 times)
Seans_Dad

Devizes, Wiltshire, UK.

View Profile

24v Auto 'box drive issue. Help Please.
« on: Nov 26th, 2008, 7:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My wife came to meet me from work this evening in the Scorpio, put it in park while she waited for me, left the engine ticking over, then after a few minutes, put the lever into "D", and nothing happened!! Reverse though works perfectly.

Basically, there is no forward drive, but reverse is OK. If I put the selector into "1", you can just feel 1st gear engaging, but the car won't move forward. Even putting the winter mode switch on, there is still no forward drive.

Anyway, the AA were called out, and when he arrived, he checked ATF Fluid level, which was fine (I'd checked it anyway beforehand) He thinks it may be a solenoid issue, rather than driveband as it engages reverse gear fine. He towed the car home for us, as we were only two miles away.

I know I have to change the VSS as the speedo is wrong and gearchanges weren't great before it lost drive, but I'm hoping that it is only a solenoid that has failed, and not a total failure of forward gears.

Can anyone offer any advice on my problem?

Car is a '94 24v Auto Estate. Looking at the fault finder section of this site, it seems to point to a sticking solenoid. Can these be changed easily enough with gearbox in situ?

Thanks in advance.

Dan.
IP Logged

'96 Ghia Estate 2.0 16v 5 speed manual
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

Re: 24v Auto 'box drive issue. Help Please.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26th, 2008, 11:59pm »

Have you tried driving off with the selector in position '2' ?
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 27th, 2008, 1:46pm »

Could be 101,000 things but the sudden loss does point to summat electrical, suggest a scan initially, but this probably wont reveal anything sticking.  It's possible a valve is sticking in the valve chest, but prepare yourself for an expensive job.   Cry

Solenoids / Valve block are easy but messy to change if you know what you are doing, but as wiv most things its easy to mess it up if you dont. Sad With a valve block the important thing is to be surgically clean and make sure you put the bolts back exactly where they came out as there are different lengths !

HTH
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
Seans_Dad

Devizes, Wiltshire, UK.

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 27th, 2008, 7:17pm »

on Nov 26th, 2008, 11:59pm, Scorpio_Mike wrote:
Have you tried driving off with the selector in position '2' ?

Mike, I've just been out and tried what you suggested, and this is what happened;

start car, select "2", rev engine and the car creeps forward very slowly and with alot of juddering and then no drive. I then select "1", rev the car up to 6000rpm, and it takes off!!! Normal drive resumed, but gearchanges still not right due to VSS which I know needs to be changed. Bring car to a stop, select "R", NOTHING!! It's still in forward drive. Select all positions except Park, and the car wants to go forward. Even in Park, it still in gear, as when I rev it, it wants to go forward as revs only up to 2000 rpm. Park lock works OK though. Switch engine off, restart, and it's STILL in gear!!??!!
So now Reverse won't engage at all.

Is this a selector switch problem? I've not looked underneath at all (too dark and wet)

Dan.
IP Logged

Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 28th, 2008, 8:00am »

Sounds more electrical to me from the description. Worth having a look for loom damage . But remember the VSS does also make a big contribution to good gear changes but should not affect it when stationary .

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Dave2302

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 28th, 2008, 4:55pm »

Cry
Nope be surprised if its electrical.  Sorry to tell you, this sounds like forward clutch is engaged permanently, more likely to be internal failure, sounds like rebuild time to me. Sad

For what its worth, if you unplug the valve chest plug, (just above pan rail, bell housing end), you then eliminate all electronics and if the box is okay it will pull away and drive in 3rd gear when you select D and it will pull away and drive in reverse when you select R, N should be N and any of the other forward positions should be in 3rd gear.  A simple test to rule out electronics, dont forget to clear the codes once you put the plug back  Wink  

HTH

Regards Dave
IP Logged

Seans_Dad

Devizes, Wiltshire, UK.

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Nov 28th, 2008, 7:21pm »

I see where you are coming from Dave, but the initial problem was not having any forward drive!! And after I revved the engine to 6000rpm in position "1", forward gears engaged but now won't disengage!!
I know you are an expert in this field, and it's always harder to give a diagnosis without seeing the car, but your advice is appreciated. There is no horrible noises coming from the gearbox area and the fliud is OK in colour and level.
Tell me, are the solenoids attached to the valve block?
I've had previous experience with autoboxes (changed a ZF 4hp24 on my old Jag XJ6) so I am quite happy to get my hands dirty. I wonder if a change of valve block would help at all? It just feels like something is "sticking" in there.

Position "N" has now become the normal drive position, along with "D", & 1 & 2. "P" still locks the 'box, but the car will only rev to 2000rpm and want to creep forward.

I will try the plug you mentioned over the weekend and let you know what happened.  

Thanks for your advice.

Dan.
IP Logged

Dave2302

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 1st, 2008, 7:03pm »

Hi,

Yes it is very difficult to diagnose without seeing / driving  Grin
I understand that originally it had no / slipping forward drive but by revving it to 6000 it has most likely seized the plates in the forward clutch....Thats the only logical reason for it wanting to pull forwards in N and P position.  Cry

There is only one other less costly, (but very unlikely), possibility Wink Somehow the manual valve may have become disconnected from the linkage inside the gearbox.  Dropping the sump will confirm this by looking at the linkage inside, but if this isn't the case dont waste yr money changing valve blocks or solenoids because if the manual valve is moving to neutral and park with the selector, then even with stuck valves / solenoids it still wouldn't drive forwards !

Good Luck with it

Regards Dave
IP Logged

Seans_Dad

Devizes, Wiltshire, UK.

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Dec 1st, 2008, 10:26pm »

Dave,

Thanks again for your input.

Before I'd read your above posting, I went out for another try with the car to see if there was any change (just being hopeful I suppose).
Anyway, started it up, sure enough, it's started in gear, with selector in Park. I put it in Reverse, gave it full throttle, which it would only rev to 2000rpm as previously stated, then all of a sudden there was a jolt, and reverse gear came back to me!! It reversed back nice and easy, so I stopped, selected drive, but I'd lost forward drive AGAIN!! Back to square one!  Downhearted, I selected Neutral, and engine was now revving freely, so at least I had proper Neutral again. I sat there for a moment, in deep thought, then selected position "2", revved it up again, and again I had a jolt and the car took off again!! I stopped, selected Neutral again, and it came out of gear, revving freely again, I then selected Drive, but no forward drive again. I didn't want to upset the neighbours by keep revving the nuts off the car in the evenings, but I reckon if I was to do this each time, it would eventually give me forward drive.

So to summarise, forward and reverse gears are there, it just seems to be having trouble engaging them. Would this point to solenoid problems? Or maybe even a oil pump issue? Fluid is still OK so far, in both level and colour, but I'm getting through Neurofen like there's no tomorrow!!

Any more thoughts anybody??

Dan.
IP Logged

Dave2302

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 1st, 2008, 11:38pm »

Hi,

Sorry but Sad

This points to a stuffed forward clutch.  By revving it to the converter stall in reverse, i.e. 2000 rpm, you have  merely un seized the forward clutch.  But because it's worn to the steels thats why you now have no forwards again.  Sticking valves and solenoids are not the cause of this..... also bear in mind that if any transmission does have sticking valves etc, it is debris that causes the sticking. Wink

The debris comes from disintegrating components, so its only ever a short term fix to fit new / clean out valve blocks / solenoids.

In your case I'm sorry to say that my money is on a forward clutch failure, so I wouldn't waste any money fitting parts to this particular gearbox.

HTH Dave
IP Logged

Seans_Dad

Devizes, Wiltshire, UK.

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Dec 2nd, 2008, 7:54pm »

Hi Dave,

Thanks again for your input, I think you have confirmed my worst fears anyway. Sad

Oh well, I can't do anything about it this side of xmas, and as there's plenty of tax & MOT on her, she'll just have to sit outside my home until I can source a replacement 'box, which I'll change myself.

Dan.
IP Logged

martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Dec 3rd, 2008, 9:02am »

I have a s/h auto box if interested.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Dave2302

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 3rd, 2008, 7:17pm »

Hi Dan,

Yep, replacement is the best option in this case.  

Without trying to tell granny how to suck eggs...dont forget you'll need to flush out the cooler and lines with parrafin or similair and also fit a new torque converter as well, otherwise any debris in these items can easily wreck a new transmission Wink

HTH  

Dave
IP Logged

Seans_Dad

Devizes, Wiltshire, UK.

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Dec 3rd, 2008, 7:44pm »

on Dec 3rd, 2008, 9:02am, martin_rowe wrote:
I have a s/h auto box if interested.

You have a PM. Smiley

Dan.
IP Logged

Seans_Dad

Devizes, Wiltshire, UK.

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Dec 3rd, 2008, 7:46pm »

on Dec 3rd, 2008, 7:17pm, Dave2302 wrote:
Hi Dan,

Yep, replacement is the best option in this case.  

Without trying to tell granny how to suck eggs...dont forget you'll need to flush out the cooler and lines with parrafin or similair and also fit a new torque converter as well, otherwise any debris in these items can easily wreck a new transmission Wink

HTH  

Dave

Thanks Dave, I was aware of changing the t/c, but I wouldn't have thought about flushing the cooler lines. Roll Eyes

Thanks for your help on this anyway.

ATB

Dan.
IP Logged

mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Dec 12th, 2008, 2:21pm »

Don't forget Dan that when you get your replacement box, I'm only down the road if you want a helping hand,
Regards
IP Logged
Seans_Dad

Devizes, Wiltshire, UK.

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Dec 12th, 2008, 8:12pm »

on Dec 12th, 2008, 2:21pm, mindofitsown wrote:
Don't forget Dan that when you get your replacement box, I'm only down the road if you want a helping hand,
Regards

Dennis!!!

That's great, thankyou Smiley I've also got a promise from my neighbour who is handy with the spanners to help out too, so between the three of us, we should breeze through it Grin I will be looking at a weekend in January to get the job done, I'll let you know which one.

Could you PM me your number again as I accidentally deleted the last PM you sent, and I'd forgotten your username!! Embarassed Embarassed

Dan.
IP Logged

mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Dec 13th, 2008, 9:59am »

Dan,
You have PM
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.