Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 7th, 2024, 7:26pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« COSSY (1997) INTERIOR CONDENSATION »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   COSSY (1997) INTERIOR CONDENSATION
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: COSSY (1997) INTERIOR CONDENSATION  (Read 2860 times)
gerryw

Cossie Mad

View Profile

Re: COSSY (1997) INTERIOR CONDENSATION
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13th, 2008, 11:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Highlander/Scorpio-man/Everybody,

Yes I also think that there is an underlying cause for the condensation. Just this morning (raining and the windscreen/doors and rearscreen all clear), I drove about 3 miles to a friends and had cold air (heater not working as explained in 1st post) blowing on windscreen and a small heater (attached to the Cig-Plug) to at least get some warm air, and the screens stayed clear all the way rto my friends.  

I was there about half-an-hour then left but as soon as I drove off all the screens immediately misted over, could'nt see a thing. I had to use W/screen inbuilt heating to allow me some vision. After about a mile, with S/roof slightly open and the blowers on full blast, the screens cleared.

So, does the above shed any light on what may be causing the Condensation problem? I know its getting to be a P-in-the-A and I appologise, but you can imagine what it must be like driving my Cossy but I just LOVE this car... its a wolf in sheeps clothing  and I aim to get it right with your help?

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate all the help and guidance you are giving me!
Gerryw
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #21 on: Dec 13th, 2008, 11:47am »

hi there

it could be a few things.

leak at the heater matrix. do you get a 'curry' smell when you do a cc reset?
the a/c drain pipes are blocked.
the pollen filter is blocked.
the de ice switch is faulty (your a/c isn't working so won't be this).
leaking windscreen.

hth

IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #22 on: Dec 13th, 2008, 12:45pm »

Possibly sticking on recirculated air.

There are times when if you have it set to auto it may do it itself, I know the example below is for cooling, but just makes the point:

( from http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/aircon.htm )

"For example if high cooling power is required when the ac is first switched on then the system will automatically switch to recirculated air to achieve maximum cooling even though the LED in the recirc switch will not illuminate"
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
gerryw

Cossie Mad

View Profile

« Reply #23 on: Dec 13th, 2008, 12:47pm »

Hi scorpio-man

1,  C.C. Reset? I dont remember/know of that one, if you could let me know how then I would carry out the C.C.Reset and make sure my nose is in the right place to carry out the 'sniff' test and let you know?

2,  I know where the A/C Drains are and I will check them out and again let you know what I found?

3,  Can you let me know where the pollen filter is and how to clean it please?

4,  Leaking windscreen... never thought of that, but will have a look asap (and its a good time because its been raing Cs & Ds here.

Thanks for your post and I will be back to with the info regarding the above.

Many Regards
Gerryw
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #24 on: Dec 13th, 2008, 12:52pm »

If you look at the bottom of the link I just posted you'll see a link to CC reset

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/ccreset.htm
IP Logged

gerryw

Cossie Mad

View Profile

« Reply #25 on: Dec 13th, 2008, 12:58pm »

Hi Tompion,

I had just replied to scorpio-man's post when I got your post... thank you.

I will look into that as I recollect that when everything (A/C. Heater etc) was working OK that sometimes, when I turned on the 'recirculated' air button, the inside of the Cossy misted up?  

Problem now is, with the A/C and the Heater not working, how will I know if the 'recirculated' air button is on or off (or can I temporarily disable it?

Thanks again for your posts, much appreciated...

Many Regards
Gerryw
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #26 on: Dec 13th, 2008, 1:34pm »

Well just guessing here.

Click on pictures 2 & 3 here:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/fanrepair.htm

It shows the vacuum motor that works the recirculation flap when the engine is running.
Look to see if the arm’s in a different position when you have problems.
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #27 on: Dec 13th, 2008, 2:11pm »

Have you checked the pollen filter ?. If that is wet/dirty it will affect the air con. Is the lid properly clipped in place?.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #28 on: Dec 13th, 2008, 4:49pm »

I had this problem of condensation,  only when and after  it  had rained.    

I discovered the rain was getting  in at the seal  on the bottom of  driver's side fuse - box,  dripping down into the electrical gubbins in the driver's footwell  ( which caused the PATS light to be continually on ).

I constructed a  fuse box cover out of  plastic  to deflect the rainwater down the drain hole and away from the fusebox.

It seems  to work.
IP Logged
gaz01gaz

2.9 cos...what else????

View Profile Email

« Reply #29 on: Dec 13th, 2008, 6:38pm »

the pollen filter advice is worth its weight too...every car i have bought i change the pollen filter//if its clogged you get massive condensation problems....a cheap fix too at about £10 "!!!!!!!! check it out man
IP Logged

go gaz go.............................
Cosray

8th Scorpio, 2nd Cosworth: currently '95

View Profile Email

« Reply #30 on: Dec 13th, 2008, 7:22pm »

This must be one of the most popular 2008 forum topics..! I have read all of them with great admiration.  
Summarizing, applying some physics laws:
Condensation in cold air should normally be low -- as we all know humidity in cold air is low, sometimes even materializing as snow.  
In hot air moisture behaves as in a sauna - very humid. (Which a working A/C could remove of course)
Our friends' heater NOR A/C works. The opened sunroof does gets rid of the damp - it effectively replaces interior dampness with lower outside humidity.  
So, if our friend experiences condensation in cold air it follows his air is saturated with water - his own breathing or upholstery dampness.  
Therefore all closures opening to outside air must be closed off leaving the interior to its occupants and contained air.  
It follows then his A/C drainpipes are clogged, his inoperable A/C cannot remove the moisture, his recirculate door is CLOSED; an effective airflow is not possible.
Your SATC processorunit may be shot or it needs to be reset! Have you reset it according to the website? What were the display readings in the end? The vacuumhose for the Recirculate door motor may be leaking, its wiring may be kaput, the airvents at the back, to which Tompion pointed are clogged.
In short: there is no proper outside airflow nor ventilation (= air displacement) and thus no dehydration. You are breathing in a bag. It seems a cumulation of errors. Most of the posters have addressed all of these causes to be corrected and I would try 'm all.
Ray
IP Logged
gerryw

Cossie Mad

View Profile

« Reply #31 on: Dec 14th, 2008, 2:27am »

I have to admit that the amount of information (via the posts) I have received regarding my COSSY  Condensation Problem is quite staggering!

I am going to go work through all Posted suggestions step by step until I solve the problem (hopefully sooner than later) and keep you all informed of my progress...!

Again, I am very grateful for all the help and advice I have received...
Gerryw
IP Logged
Tim_Lusername

1995 2.9 24v

View Profile WWW

« Reply #32 on: Dec 30th, 2008, 2:04pm »

Boot vents.

One very minor point - if you want to get at the rear vent covers then an easy way is to reach under the rear bumper wraparounds and feel for a large-ish plastic fin (approx 50mm across). It is the side fixing for the bumper, give that 1/4 turn and remove it. You can now GENTLY! pull down the bumper which gives you access to the two pozidrive screws which secure the plastic vent cover in place.

That's the way it works on the 24v Estate - I'd assume the Saloon is similar.....what's the betting it's not though :-)))

HTH
IP Logged
Cosray

8th Scorpio, 2nd Cosworth: currently '95

View Profile Email

« Reply #33 on: Dec 30th, 2008, 4:34pm »

Tim_Lusername thanks for the tip.

I just cracked my rearbumper on a miserably small and low and invisible concrete streetcolumn so I will be under teh bumper soon.

Wink With All my best wishes for the New Year to You All here on the Forum  Grin--

Ray
IP Logged
gerryw

Cossie Mad

View Profile

« Reply #34 on: Jan 10th, 2009, 2:00pm »

Hi all,

Just an update on the ongoing work and the good advice that all you good folks have posted to me...!

I have now had the A/C Compressor replaced by a 2nd-hand one and a 2nd-hand Thermostat also fitted (thanks BAZ)! and now just trying to find a local A/C Company that will regass my A/C.  

As an aside line..., I also need a SUMP if anybody knows where I can get one at a reasonable cost?

Thanks everybody,
Gerryw
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #35 on: Jan 10th, 2009, 2:51pm »

hi there

kwik-fit do a/c re-gasses for about £45.

remember the scorpio needs 1kg (1000g).

you are better to use a 'real' a/c guy is possible. Wink

hth
IP Logged
gerryw

Cossie Mad

View Profile

« Reply #36 on: Jan 11th, 2009, 3:44pm »

Thanks Scorpio-Man,

I went to Kwik-Fit and they do a Re-gas for £25.00 but unfortunately my Cossy had a fault...

The valve that they use to re-gas the system is faulty so I need to know do I have to win the lottery to replace it. Because the valve seems to be situated in a very long A/C pipe which dissapear into the bulkhead and the other end into some other fixing (no idea what it is).

I hope that someone can let me know what I need to get to fix the/replace the valve and if it is as I expect, Very Expensive!!!

One can but hope I'm wrong?

Regards
Gerryw Huh
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #37 on: Jan 11th, 2009, 3:50pm »

hi there

which valve are they talking about?

see the photo 1/2 down this page.... http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/acrecharge.htm

red or blue?

hth
IP Logged
gerryw

Cossie Mad

View Profile

« Reply #38 on: Jan 11th, 2009, 5:05pm »

Hi Scorpio-man

Its the blue one (nearest the Damper and the bulk head).

Hope that helps...?

Regards
Gerryw
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #39 on: Jan 11th, 2009, 6:14pm »

hi there

what did they say was wrong with your valve? it's really only like a car tyre valve. Undecided

i tried  to look the pipe work up on the ford data, but it's a bit hard to tell if it's the correct part from a diagram. the first bit (if correct Wink) costs £110!!! don't know what the other bit costs.

might be an idea to take it to a 'real' a/c guy. Smiley see what they think.

where in the country are you?
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/acdealers.htm
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.