Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 6:25pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Heated front windscreen »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Heated front windscreen
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Heated front windscreen  (Read 542 times)
mikeb

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Heated front windscreen
« on: Dec 29th, 2008, 5:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have a 98, 2.3 Ghia automatic estate (facelift).  When my heated front windscreen failed both left and right hand sides stopped working at the same time.  This led me to believe that the elements are ok and the fault is a component part such as a fuse, relay or switch.  I studied the subject in the forum and checked the parts in conjunction with the circuit diagram (downloaded from the forum)  All parts monitored ok and a supply voltage is present at the connections at the bottom corners of the screen.  My next thought was a faulty ground connection.  I removed the cowl grille around the wipers in search of this connection but could not find it.  I think that I was looking in the wrong place.  Can someone please tell me where I should be looking or offer any other advice. Huh
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: Heated front windscreen
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29th, 2008, 6:32pm »

On mine the earth wires come out alongside the feeds at the bottom corners of the screen. I think you have to remove the side trim to get at the connectors on the screen.

See here:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/windows/windscreen.pdf
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
mikeb

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29th, 2008, 11:44pm »

Thanks Tompion,
Are the connections on the top corners of the windscreen the grounding cables which exit along with the larger (supply?) cables at the bottom corners?  I think I am looking for the connection points S123 & S230 shown on the circuit diagram.  Do you no where these are? Undecided
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30th, 2008, 12:06am »

Yes the connectors appear to be at the top of the screen. Afraid I don't know where the earth points are but the wires on mine appear to go through the bulkhead to behind the dash.

I was going to take the easy way & splice a wire straight to the battery earth, but decided that my screen was either faulty or it was the terminals at the top of the screen, so I didn't bother.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 30th, 2008, 2:29am »

If it's any help, I did a voltage test & continuity test (after checking fuses etc) with my multimeter across the windscreen connectors on my wifes 2.3 & it gave a nice 13+V with the engine running & nice continuity beeping noise, but the heated screen still refuses to work  Sad

Time for a new screen I reckon  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
lesterlad aka Rodders

2.3 Ghia x Estate (Manual)

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 30th, 2008, 11:40am »

Have a look along the very top edge of the screen to see if there is any whiteish discolouration, if there is, it's a sign of the laminate breaking down, this will affect the operation of the element within the screen and it's time for a new one if you want it to be heated again.
Cheap as chips if your fully comp. £60 excess on my old mk3 4yrs ago (same screen) although I think the screen will have to be cracked before they'll change it.

Note:
If you do decide to go for a new one and your original has no top tint, ask for a top tint and you'll most likely get one. (I did)
IP Logged

There's are methods to my madness!!! I'm not sure what the methods are but there's definitely madness in them
mijfife

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 30th, 2008, 5:45pm »

I just wired up the heated screen that autoglass kindly fitted in error on my TD  Smiley I took the complete loom for the heated screen from the spare Ghia I was breaking.  
The only earth connection is a large ring terminal which is screwed onto the car at the kick plate on the passenger foot well. Prior to connecting to the screen itself, I attached a test lamp between the top and bottom wire that goes to the screen on each side, which is more or less what you've done with the multimeter. It lit up when the switch was activated so all should be well. Sounds like the screen's given up the ghost to me  Sad

Cheers Jim
IP Logged

'96 2.5TD Ultima estate running on veg oil!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.