Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 7th, 2024, 3:23pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Oil leaks dripping under engine »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Oil leaks dripping under engine
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Oil leaks dripping under engine  (Read 1207 times)
hopper

GRIMREAPER

View Profile

Oil leaks dripping under engine
« on: Jan 10th, 2009, 2:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Again,

I've noticed many small drops of oil dripping from the underside of the engine which is a 24v. The engine underside will need to be steam cleaned or similar to remove all the wet areas of oil to see where the leak or leaks are originating. Are there any common weaknesses on the BOB engine or ancillaries that i need to look out for. The obvious checks i'm about to do is check tightness and fitting of oil filter and also tightening up the sump bolts. Is there any other weaknesses to look out for please?

Regards Chris
IP Logged

Scorpio 24v Cosworth Estate 1995 M reg
hopper

GRIMREAPER

View Profile

Re: Oil leaks dripping under engine
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10th, 2009, 2:27pm »

Also the car is not fitted with the undertray would it be beneficial to get one from ebay and fit it once the leaks are resolved or is it better to run without it so that drips in the future can be spotted earlier what are your thoughts on this please?

Regards Chris
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10th, 2009, 2:27pm »

There are a few different possibilities, the only thing I would advise against is steam cleaning the engine area, you can cause all sorts of problems if the electrics get wet.. which can be impossible to find and repair

IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

hopper

GRIMREAPER

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10th, 2009, 2:33pm »

Hi Highlander,

Yeah i'm not 100% confident in using the steam clean approach there used to be a product called GUNK that you would coat the engine in and then go for a good drive as the engine heated up the gunk would help disolve/thin the oil and residue and as a result it would drip away leaving the engine cleaner but i've not seen this product recently. Has anyone heard of this product if it is still available or are there other similar products available that I might find at Halfords?

Regards Chris
IP Logged

Cosray

8th Scorpio, 2nd Cosworth: currently '95

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 10th, 2009, 4:11pm »

If it's red it's from the power steering (hoses) or even Autobox; if black from engine oil; if clear it could be coolant or leaked down spilled windowwasher fluids.

Hard to locate w/o the undertray off.

Ray
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 10th, 2009, 4:36pm »

Gunk is still readily available from most good motor factors & comes in spray cans now as well. I recently bought a can from my local motor factors  Smiley
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 10th, 2009, 5:35pm »

Gunk is a soluble solvent which needs to be washed off with water.If water is not being used,you would be better off using paraffin,or kerosene as it is known over the pond  Smiley
      GOZZ.
IP Logged
hopper

GRIMREAPER

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 10th, 2009, 10:01pm »

Hi Gozz & Johnnycab,

Thanks for the info I'll have a look out on Tuesday for GUNK in the spray can and spray a good dose over all affected areas thanks about rinsing after use then I intend to take for a good drivew and park car up over some large sheets of paper that i've acquired so that I can see the colour of the drips as well as mark the location relative to the engine above. Once again thanks.

Regards Chris
IP Logged

Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 11th, 2009, 7:56am »

Over the years the I have found the  main areas for small leaks are, The Front Pulley oil seal, the oil pressure switch, the rocker covers, timing case ,  if its from the back of the engine then could be the main crankshaft oil seal ( Inside bell housing) or a gear box oil seal. .

As stated the colour of the fluid is a good indication. Also check the condition of the oil cooler pipes at the front of the engine bay and the power fluid /steering rack. They have also been known to cause problems and start leaking...  Sad
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
hopper

GRIMREAPER

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jan 12th, 2009, 6:54am »

Hi Snoopy,

Thanks for the advice I've got myself a large can of GUNK spray so will use it Tuesday and see where the leaks are coming from.

Regards Chris
IP Logged

hopper

GRIMREAPER

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jan 21st, 2009, 7:37am »

Hi Again,

Luckily I have a friend who has access to a car lifting hoist, on saturday I raised the car after taking it for a good run and sprayed the underside with thec Gunk from a spray can the product is great and i highly recommend it £4.99 for a large can. After letting it soak for 10min I then was able to remove all the built up deposits of muck and oil etc. The car looks pristine now the residues had protected the underside extremely well. I also cleaned all hoses and pullies. While I had the car raised I took advantage and tightened up the sump bolts on the engine and the gearbox, to my astonishment quite afew of these were loose and only 2 were tight. I'm hoping that they have worked loose over the years that the car has been on the road. I also hope that this may solve the majority of the oil leaks, I'm taking the car back this week to check the underside again and will advise if there are any leaks or if this has solved the problem. Definately worth double checking the sump bolts on other members cars if these have come this loose over time though.

Regards Chris
IP Logged

joe-satch

joe satriani is the best guitarist in the world.

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jan 21st, 2009, 1:07pm »

fingers crossed mate.. Smiley.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.