Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 6th, 2024, 11:30pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Cossie wont start.. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Cossie wont start..
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cossie wont start..  (Read 511 times)
pinto

TD04 on a galaxy manifold ? whooooooosh !

View Profile Email

Cossie wont start..
« on: Jan 17th, 2009, 2:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Asking on behalf of a friend Smiley

N plate Cossie 24V  - parked up a few weeks ago to await some MOT repairs - ran fine.  Went to start today, battery was dead flat.  So, we substituted a charged battery and she turns over a treat now - but wont fire at all.

Another symptom - on turning needles occasionally flick as with a flat battery (which is certainly isnt) but when the key is released back to psn II, a machine gun rattle can be heard from the fusebox and the needles on the dash dance wildly until the ignition is turned off.

Noisy relay is the large green one marked "Eng Cont Mod" - so im guessing the fault with the non firing engine is here - but does anyone have any suggestions ?

Checked the fusebox for swimming pool syndrome - dry as a bone .....
IP Logged
Tobbe

4.1 litre 24v BOB

150118665 150118665    
View Profile Email

Re: Cossie wont start..
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27th, 2009, 10:47pm »

Just been doing some fault finding on a 24v ultima made in Nov 1994, with the same symptom. What I found was that the loom is the one to blame. The power feed to cooling faan No2 is shorting to a wire connected to fuse 37, this mean that the power feed to edis amongs others are messed up, if you measure the voltage between fuse 37 and ground with the ignition off it should read 0v. With just removing the fuse 44 it finally started, and I also removed fuse 39 to 1 + 1/2 faan due to when engaging it was noticable on the engine...  

Now I just need to locate the damage on the loom, which most likely is where the edis wires and cooling fan relays wires enters the engine loom...  

Remove fuse 44 and 39 and give it a go.... And let us know if it did any differ....

Cheers Tobbe
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 29th, 2009, 8:27pm »

Have you tried another relay?
Petrol in the tank?
Fuel cut off switch in the boot?
Double check the battery.
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 30th, 2009, 3:06am »

Pinto wrote......"Noisy relay is the large green one marked "Eng Cont Mod" - so im guessing the fault with the non firing engine is here - but does anyone have any suggestions ?"

I think you are referring to the fuel pump relay in the battery side fusebox (big green relay with purple top). If this is clicking like a 'machine gun' & the car is turning over but not firing, then I'm guessing that the problem is that the relay is shot & not delivering any power to the fuel pump  Smiley

The needles may be flicking because the replacement battery (even though known to be good when fitted) has had it's power depleted by continually trying to start an engine that has no fuel delivery  Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.