Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 7th, 2024, 1:16am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Supply to the heater matrix. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Supply to the heater matrix.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Supply to the heater matrix.  (Read 683 times)
Jads

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Supply to the heater matrix.
« on: Jan 26th, 2009, 7:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello fellow Scorpio owners, and what a fantastic site this is !  I’ve recently bought a ’98 2.3 Ultima saloon and I’m glad to say I really enjoy it. However, I do have to fix the leaking right-angle alloy union which feeds the heater and is screwed into the rear face of the water pump housing on the block. At present I’m running with the heater by-passed and a blanking plug in the water pump housing. Before I fit the new union, can anyone advise whether the following will work ? If you look at the water pump housing, in addition to the rear hole, there is a blanked off hole (torx socket) on the top face of the housing into which the replacement union will also fit. If I fit the new union in this top position rather than the original rear position, will it affect the heater efficiency ?  It may be that the circulation around the pump could influence the flow to the heater hose and therefore dictate the position of the union ?  The reason I ask is that the new union can’t be screwed into the original rear hole without removing the nearside engine mount for clearance, but it will screw straight into the top hole, making the job a lot easier !     Regards.Cheesy
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: Supply to the heater matrix.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26th, 2009, 10:44pm »

Hi and welcome.

Don’t know the answer to your question, but if you’re saying you’ve stopped any flow through the hose that went to the heater matrix, I would suggest it’s not a good idea.
With the thermostat closed that’s the only route for the water to circulate. Depending on how well your stat seals it could be bad news. No flow past the stat means it won’t open. Could mean overheated cylinder head – very bad news with the 2.3.

Dave

IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 26th, 2009, 10:47pm »

By the way, that's the return to the pump from the matrix.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 27th, 2009, 11:45am »

I don't really know whether the hole on top of the pump housing is an inlet or outlet  Undecided....The hole at the rear is (as Tompion says) the return inlet for the matrix. If the hole on top is also a return inlet then it may well work, but if it's an outlet then it isn't going to work.

Why is there a blanking plug in the matrix return anyway ?....did the old union break off ?. If you removed the exhaust manifold heat shielding, then this might give better access to the rear union  Smiley

Also, if the top hole is an inlet, & you do connect the matrix return hose to this point, then there could be a problem in that the hose may be too close to the exhaust manifold & could melt under the extreme heat  Undecided

Welcome to the site & good luck  Smiley
IP Logged
Jads

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 27th, 2009, 1:09pm »

Thanks for the info so far and NB the possibility of over heating the cylinder head. Actually the RAC got me going with the heater by-pass and I've done 450 miles with no 'apparent' problem. (Rock steady, mid position  temperature guage)  Perhaps I could claim against the RAC if damage is caused ??  Anyway, I'll take off the engine mount and replace the union in the correct place. Guess I'll then be into the removing airlocks and re setting the CC routine !  Let you know how I get on. Thanks again, Jads.
IP Logged
5stud

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 28th, 2009, 11:46am »

hi  thear bouth returns .used wenn you have a 2nd hearter as in galaxy or transit torneo or transit bus or ldv bus
IP Logged
Jads

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 29th, 2009, 7:15pm »

Thanks 5stud.  I've now sorted the job and see that either hole could used on the 2.3. In the end, instead of fitting the FMC part, requireing the removal of the engine mount, I got some copper fittings from a plumbers merchants. Use a 3/8 PSP union to 15mm compression joint and a 15mm rt angle plus a few inches of 15mm pipe to attach to the hose, and it works !  It also won't corrode and disintegrate like the FMC union.  So far I have no leaks and the heater is actually heating the car.  As I said, so far !  Regards.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 30th, 2009, 2:35am »

Very resourceful  Wink..... Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.