Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 7th, 2024, 11:27pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Help!! failed MOT Emissions DTC P1406 »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Help!! failed MOT Emissions DTC P1406
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help!! failed MOT Emissions DTC P1406  (Read 982 times)
upsilon56

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Help!! failed MOT Emissions DTC P1406
« on: Feb 1st, 2009, 7:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Guys,

I have a 1996 24v Scorpio Cosworth

The problem is it is failing the MOT test on CO2 emissions which are being measured at:-

fast idle 2750-3150rpm CO2=.679% to .391% with the limit being .300% for a pass.

HC: = 48ppm

Lambda: = 0.950 - 1.090

Also I have the fault code (DTC) P1406 on the OBD2 system which indicates the EGR system DPFE downstream hose is blocked or plugged any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

For your information I have checked the hoses connected to the DPFE sensor from the EGR tube and they seem to be airtight, I have not removed the EGR tube itself or the EGR valve as it so far OBD2 just indicates a blockage in the DPFE downstream hose which there is not, also idling is a little rough sometimes and the engine hunts at about 37mph. Question, what is causing this problem.

Any help would be very much appreciated as I can't find anyone locally as yet (Gloucestershire) that knows enough about this car to diagnose the problem properly and I don't want the usual "well, we've changed this and this and that, BUT!!! here is a big bill and sorry we can't fix it syndrome.

At the same time I do need the car sorted for MOT so if anyone knows an expert in my area please let me know.

thanks in advance of any help.

upsilon56

IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: Help!! failed MOT Emissions DTC P1406
« Reply #1 on: Feb 1st, 2009, 7:54pm »

hi there

i'd say you have a vac leak somewhere. can you read what the long term trim values are?

i'd check the egr pipework, but also the vac tubes around the rear of the engine.  

these are prone to issues with the t-pieces breaking.

hth
IP Logged
upsilon56

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Feb 1st, 2009, 8:09pm »

Hi scorpio_man,

Thanks for the quick reply, I have read the short & long term fuel trim values with scantool & there is a noticeable difference between bank 1 & 2.  

I will read the values and make notes again tomorrow morning and post the exact values here for you, maybe we will get a little further with this problem.

In the meantime do you mean check all vac pipes or just the EGR system pipes?

TIA

upsilon56.
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 1st, 2009, 8:22pm »

hi there

check everything! Grin

the hunting sound like the mixture is going lean, hence my idea of a vac leak somewhere.

hth
IP Logged
upsilon56

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 2nd, 2009, 1:20pm »

Hi scorpio_man

I have this morning scanned the car again with Scantool and here are the readings you requested.

COOL

Fuel trims bank 1
short -2.3%
long  +15.6%

Fuel trims bank 2
short -1.6%
long  -3.1%

Timing advance 19 deg
MAF 0.4lb/min
RPM 785
air temp 66 deg
coolant 147 deg
closed loop

HOT

fuel trims bank 1
short +3.1%
long  +13.3%

fuel trims bank 2
short -0.8%
long  -6.3%

timing advance 20.5 deg
MAF 0.4lb/min
RPM 735
air temp 131 deg
coolant 194 deg
closed loop

I did not go for a blast in the car as it's snowing here at the moment and a bit dodgy on the roads, I have booked the car into the agents but I have to say I do not have much confidence in them and the labour rate is £80 per hour and they don't know how long it may take or how much it will cost. Nobody else seems to want to know the car.

I can see this leading to me having to find another Scorpio with a 12 month MOT just to stay mobile so any help is very much appreciated and may well save me being, shall we say "mislead" in some way.

TIA
upsilon56.
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 2nd, 2009, 4:05pm »

hi there

you might have a fuel pressure regulator issue; a bit like this..... http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/fuelreg.htm

as you can see, bank 1 (driver's side) is at +13% which means the ecu is having to add more fuel to that side because it's running lean.

i'd still check for any leaks, but you may also have a failing cat(s).

can you trace the post cat lambda sensors?
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/ho2smonitor.htm

if you can and they follow the trace from the pre cat lambda sensor, it shows the cat on that side is failing.

so to recap.

check for air/vac leaks. better with the 24v cover off.
check all vac t-pieces.
check all the egr pipe work.
do a trace if possible.
think about changing FPR and/or cat(s)

sorry to be so vague. hard to tell whats wrong from a distance. BTW, have you cleaned  the MAF?
IP Logged
upsilon56

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 2nd, 2009, 6:32pm »

Hi scorpio_man

Thanks again for your very quick reply and the suggestions. I have not been able to get Vehicle Explorer to work with my ELM827USB and laptop so I can't do a trace at the moment, I only have Scantool that works. That is what I used to read the data posted earlier. I have not yet cleaned the MAF, if its not snowing tomorrow I will check all the vac pipes & junctions with the cover off and clean the MAF, checking the EGR tube may prove more difficult from what I can see of it, but I will give it a go, as to a scan I will see if my laptop will configure the interface correctly for Vehicle Explorer but I won't hold my breath as simulated serial ports on usb devices are problematic as you will know, still I'll do me best.

I will post the results here tomorrow if I'm not frozen to the car, OH for a garage!! and a lesson learned "don't buy a car that needs an MOT in the winter months as its bound to SNOW!!"

Again, your help is much appreciated. The saga will continue same time same channel.......

upsilon56.
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 2nd, 2009, 6:41pm »

hi there

don't bother with VE. it only works with the lead from alex pepper (obd-2.com).

let us know how you get on.  

hth
IP Logged
upsilon56

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 4th, 2009, 6:59pm »

Hi scorpio_man.

All vac pipes checked, MAF cleaned & EGR system piping examined, no faults I could find.

Car went into main dealers this morning and they report that the nearside CAT is duff, both HO2 sensors switching together hence the uneven fueling. The price, well I don't want to talk about it as I'm still in shock/denial, its a good thing I really love the car which should be back with me next week (some parts coming from Germany) lots of thanks for all your help and I'll let you know the final result when I've got the magic green sheet and recovered from the anasthetics.

Tune in next week for the final (?) gripping instalment....same time....same channel  
(if I have not flogged the TV/PC)

upsilon56
IP Logged
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Feb 5th, 2009, 12:09pm »

on Feb 4th, 2009, 6:59pm, upsilon56 wrote:
Hi scorpio_man.

All vac pipes checked, MAF cleaned & EGR system piping examined, no faults I could find.

Car went into main dealers this morning and they report that the nearside CAT is duff, both HO2 sensors switching together hence the uneven fueling. The price, well I don't want to talk about it as I'm still in shock/denial, its a good thing I really love the car which should be back with me next week (some parts coming from Germany) lots of thanks for all your help and I'll let you know the final result when I've got the magic green sheet and recovered from the anasthetics.

Tune in next week for the final (?) gripping instalment....same time....same channel  
(if I have not flogged the TV/PC)

upsilon56

The cats you get from www.buypartsby.co.uk and they cost you 130+vat+delivery for a pair.
IP Logged
upsilon56

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Feb 15th, 2009, 8:33pm »

Hi Guys,

The final installment is here at last, as of Thursday afternoon (12/02/09) the car has a valid MOT  Grin

Ford dealers diagnosed the problem as a duff nearside CAT which needed to be replaced, so to expedite matters I had to bite the bullet and I got them to do the work. In the end it needed the CAT and two flexipipes, result is the car is now hardly emitting any CO2, passed the MOT fine and I am a awful lot lighter in the wallet. In time I hope to make a full recovery from the surgery & anesthetics, but I have to say that I am in the wrong business as the dealers charge their labour out at £80 per hour + VAT  

Still, the car is now fuelling properly and running beautifully.

May I take this opportunity to thank scorpio_man and all the members that very kindly offered information and advice with this problem, and also to thank the owners of this wonderful website for all the time and effort that they have most generously given to making this the definitive resource on the Ford Scorpio.

upsilon56.  Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.