Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 5:28am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 12v Starting Problems »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   12v Starting Problems
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 12v Starting Problems  (Read 641 times)
RebGershon

Happier Newbie

View Profile

12v Starting Problems
« on: Feb 18th, 2009, 10:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

For sometime now I've been having intermittent cold start problems with my 12v Ultima. Always seems to be during and immediately after damp weather conditions. Seemed to start last summer during all the heavy rains. Until then always started first time quickly settling to idle at around 1000 revs.

Now engine will only fire after few turns of starter with accelerator depressed afterwhich needs to maintain around 2000 revs for about 1-2 minutes to stop engine dying. Engine then idles at around 500 revs with some hunting-it almost sounds as though there is a hollowness in the engine. Exhaust gas smells very rich in unburnt fuel. If left to idle like this after about 10-15 minutes the fault suddenly clears and idle speed goes upto around 1000 revs and engine then sound normal. Its as though there's been a drying out due to the warm up.

Checked leads, coil and distributor connections of HT leads, fuse boxes and drains-all clear.  

Car is parked facing downwards on an inclined driveway overnight.

Maybe I need to  change the plugs, leads  dizzy cap, rotor arm? Or could there be water getting into the cylinders from a leaking gasket?

Any ideas welcome.

TIA, Geoff. Huh
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: 12v Starting Problems
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18th, 2009, 10:31pm »

Geoff.
As has been recounted several times,the 12valve has three signal wires bound into a copper shielded coaxial type setup,these wires are contained in the loom along the offside rocker box,and go from the distributor to the PCM via the big terminal block on the offside inner wing.This three wire cable breaks down and in damp conditions sends false information to the PCM,thus wrong sparks,wrong fuelling etc.If you dismantle the loom it may well be found that this is the problem,I have discovered that the entire loom,particularly the triple cable has disintegrated all the way round to about half the way across the front of the radiator.If this proves to be the case you can painstakingly strip and retape the loom,and use a piece of three core bound with copper to replace the signal wires.
           GOZZ.
IP Logged
RebGershon

Happier Newbie

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Feb 18th, 2009, 10:41pm »

Thanks for that info Gozz.

Do you have any pictures that would help me identify the loom and in particular direction of travel of this loom.

Thanks again,

Geoff.

p.s. would any pics from  the Haynes Granada manual assist me?
IP Logged
python9

1997 24v ghia saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 19th, 2009, 9:09pm »

could be the idle control speed sensor or valve this also gives idling problems and hunting when driven revs go up and down
IP Logged
RebGershon

Happier Newbie

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 19th, 2009, 9:41pm »

Hi again Goz,

I managed to find a schematic picture of the engine loom on the site at http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/12vlooms.htm.
The wires for the loom seem to enclosed in plastic, outer umbilical tube that has an opening where the lambda sensor wires enter it near to  the front of the engine. Is this the correct loom?
 According to  the diagram there is a connector-C2505 which appears to go to the bottom of the distributor. Is this where the co-ax type cabling comes from?

TIA,
Geoff.
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 19th, 2009, 11:23pm »

Geoff.
That's right,you will need to remove the plastic cover (throw it away) and examine the state of the insulation on the wires,particularly the three core co-ax type cable.
A job requiring diligence and patience  Cool
           GOZZ.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 20th, 2009, 8:46am »

THIS firm may be helpful if you need materials. Several of us have used them and they are v good.  Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.