Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 1:27am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« battery drain? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   battery drain?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: battery drain?  (Read 896 times)
gost

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

battery drain?
« on: Mar 8th, 2009, 10:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Morning gents, bought my new 2.3 yesterday, when i arrived to get it gent said he had to jump start it and left it running, drove 130 mls home drove like a dream, parked up last night, this morning put key in ign, NOTHING  not even dash coming on, did notice that when taking key out radio stayed on, could that be part of prob? \so is a new battery first port of call? if so specs please, Will i get one in Halfords or kwick fit, any ideas as its a sunday, thanks bruce
IP Logged

2.3 ultima
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: battery drain?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 8th, 2009, 11:34am »

Bruce. Sorry to hear that. Have a read of THIS page. The most important thing is the capacity of the battery. The CCA,cold cranking amps,is vital as is explained in the link. Personally I, and I believe others, have used Varta batteries which have proved to be great. As for the 'drain' it could of course be that there is a fault such as a glovebox light running all the time. The 'battery saver' relay is designed to avoid such problems but it is a case of elimination I'm afraid. Keep us informed mate. Wink Mike.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
gost

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 8th, 2009, 1:18pm »

Thanks mike, so maybe battery saver relay is faulty? dont u think it is strange that with key out of ignition radio display is still showing, mind u no sound
IP Logged

2.3 ultima
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 8th, 2009, 2:37pm »

Bruce

Given that you have a problem with the radio which suggests you have something draining the battery. Before going for a new battery I’d suggest disconnecting the battery at night and see how well it starts in the mornings (don't forget you will get the needles flicking when you first turn it on after reconnecting the battery and don’t leave the keys in the car in case it locks itself!). And don’t forget to put the battery cover back on after disconnecting, assuming it’s parked outside.

Dave
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 8th, 2009, 2:51pm »

As ever Dave has a method for finding the problem.   Grin If the radio is on have you checked the area of the cigar lighter ie: shorting on the ashtray which is a regular for causing weird faults. There was a post here only a day or two ago which was down to this.. Wink. Don't forget to have the radio code available for when you do re-connect. Wink Mike
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
gost

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 8th, 2009, 6:48pm »

Thanks gents, strange that cos half way home tom tom stopped working, which of course is connected to cigar lighter, tried lighter, didnt work, so, where do i look? do i take cigar lighter thingy out, do i disconnect radio, HELP
IP Logged

2.3 ultima
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 8th, 2009, 9:36pm »

Not had this problem myself, but I would imagine if you take the radio out you may see a problem with chaffed wires or whatever. Disconnect the battery first though, can get exciting if there are damaged wires. I wonder if the previous owner swapped the radio or took out some gizmo before selling the car and trapped a wire. You may find the cigar lighter fuse has blown as the tomtom stopped working.

Dave
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 8th, 2009, 10:00pm »

The ash tray is usually the culprit. Have a look at This thread in particular replies 7 and 8.  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
gost

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 8th, 2009, 10:46pm »

Thanks everyone will have a look tomorrow
IP Logged

2.3 ultima
gost

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 8th, 2009, 11:28pm »

Befor i dissconect battery, i dont have code, im sure there are members who know how to get it, maybe highlander? any help much appreciated
IP Logged

2.3 ultima
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Mar 9th, 2009, 12:02am »

You'll need to remove the radio to get the serial number that's on a label on the side of the radio.
IP Logged

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Mar 9th, 2009, 3:32am »

Gost, PM me the serial number (starting with 'M') & I'll PM you the code  Wink........ Smiley
IP Logged
gost

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 9th, 2009, 8:30am »

Jonnycab, thanks so much will do it tonight, at work now
IP Logged

2.3 ultima
gost

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 9th, 2009, 3:22pm »

got the radio thingys from halfords still cant remove radio, put them in holes as far as poss, pull and only moves a tad, wont come out, also please , how to remove cigar lighter and ashtray, thanks
IP Logged

2.3 ultima
SnowyScorpio

Scorpio 2,3L Hgv 1997

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: Mar 9th, 2009, 3:41pm »

I had a hell to get the radio out to... didnt have the "locking thingy" so i used some force and four nails. After some swearing the radio came out.  
You have to kind of rock it from side to side while pulling.  

And i removed the locking mechanics for the radio so now i can remove it without any tools or curses.

I also took the time to do some cleaning and maintenence on the CD and its buttons.

//Snowy
IP Logged

Scorpio 2,3L Hgv 1997
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Mar 9th, 2009, 4:25pm »

Bruce. The technique with the radio 'keys' is to push them home and then apply a sideways pressure as you pull the unit towards you. I have not done the Scorp but I did Lynns Focus the other day and it was easy. As for the ashtray it is only removable once the fascia has been rmoved BUT I imagine if the radio was out you could see/get enough access to check the lighter etc. I'm sure someone with experience will be along shortly to offer their help. Mike.
Just been out and tried mine. Inserted 'keys' a very short way,in fact I didn't think they were locating, pressed each one inwards ie: towards each other, pulled at the same time and radio was released.  Wink Hope that helps.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
PeteB

2.0 16v Ultima Saloon RIP \ 2.5 TD Ultima Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Mar 10th, 2009, 5:50pm »

I never could find what was draining mine however due to a change in fuse boxes the problem went away.

Pete
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.