Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 6th, 2024, 5:23pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Bleeding brakes »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Bleeding brakes
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Bleeding brakes  (Read 1430 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Bleeding brakes
« on: Mar 18th, 2009, 5:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Having replaced the R/N/S caliper on the wifes scorp I'm having a problem bleeding the rear brakes.

I've bled both the rear calipers 5 times now but cannot seem too get the air out  Angry I've also bled the front calipers & they bleed fine. I just keep getting great big air bubbles from the rears  Huh

I've checked all the pipes, unions, master cylinder & ABS pump but there are no fluid leaks anywhere. This is really starting to do my brain in now  Roll Eyes

Is it possible for air to enter the caliper via the bleed screw thread when it's open, but not leak any fluid at the same time ?....Might try wrapping a bit of PTFE around the threads to see if this may be the cause.

Any suggestions please  Smiley
IP Logged
dave44

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Re: Bleeding brakes
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18th, 2009, 5:51pm »

HI JON firstly thanks for help with wifes scorpio heater, all works fine now. Brakes, i always bleed furthest from master cylinder first, go all round then return to furthest. If all else fails try lodging wood between brake pedal and seat squab overnight,(pressurises system). Hopefolly this will force any air out. The old 100e was a bu***r for that. Ask your dad what a 100e was he probablely owned one, you are too yuong to know.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 18th, 2009, 6:03pm »

Thanks Dave but I've bled all the brakes but only get air from the rear calipers. I must have run a litre of fluid through the system so can't understand why I'm still getting air from the rears only.

P.S...I do know what a 100E is & my 17 year old nephew does as well 'cos he's got one & has just spent the last year restoring it (with some help from his dad)  Smiley
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 18th, 2009, 6:47pm »

Jon. Is THIS any help?. Mike.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 18th, 2009, 7:56pm »

JC I always bleed brakes the " old " way but with the scorpio I used the self bleed (I think its a SIP bit of kit.) system which uses pressure from a spare wheel after I had done them manually .. From Memory I put about 1.5 ltrs through before I got ALL the air out .. Rears are a bit of a PITA from memory. Good Luck
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 18th, 2009, 9:21pm »

JC.
It often does the trick if you 'STAMP' the fluid out using an assistant to close the bleed screw after each stamp whilst the cylinder recuperates,warn assistant to beware of an eyefull !!
     GOZZ.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 19th, 2009, 1:16am »

I'm the one that's got the messy job of lying under the car opening the bleed screws up & the wife's got the easy ("is this going to take long, I'm busy you know") job of pumping the pedal  Roll Eyes  
With sexual equality being what it is nowadays, then maybe she should be the one risking a face full of brake fluid  Wink........ Grin

Mike, thanks for the link. It looks as though I may have overlooked an important part of the bleed procedure  Embarassed.......

.....3 - Position bleed jar base at least 300 mm above bleed nipple to maintain fluid pressure and prevent air leaking past the threads

I've been putting the jar on the floor (although I've never had a problem doing it this way before), well below the bleed nipple & so it looks like the air is indeed leaking in past the threads. It would explain why a big air bubble comes out first, followed by air free fluid every time the pedal is pushed down & obviously when the pedal comes back up it is drawing air back in through the threads  Roll Eyes

Will try again in the morning & hopefully get it right this time as it's booked in for it's MOT in the afternoon  Smiley
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 19th, 2009, 7:32am »

Good luck Jon. It's about time you got little Sam a pair of overalls!!.  Wink. Hope to see you on 29th. Mike. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Mar 19th, 2009, 8:40am »

Lock off nipple befor letting pedal return. cneck m/cyl, try bleeding at the pipes, if youy've let it run dry it can air lock there.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 19th, 2009, 12:59pm »

Cheers guys for all the suggestions but the problem is now sorted  Wink....Holding the bleed jar above the caliper seemed to do the trick  Cheesy
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Mar 19th, 2009, 1:22pm »

Good to hear JC. Cheesy
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.