Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 5th, 2024, 6:17am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Squealing »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Squealing
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Squealing  (Read 2190 times)
TomP

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Squealing
« on: Mar 19th, 2009, 11:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

12V 2.9 Estate

Last couple of weeks started getting an intermitent squealing. Think it's from the back but not sure. Tends to only do it after the car has been going for a while (10-20 miles) then it becomes more apparent. If cruising downhill (no accelerator) say about 50mph and it starts squealing, if I touch the brakes lihtly the noise stops. Release the brakes and the noise starts again. Other than that the noise comes and goes

Wheel beraing or brakes related? I did have the rear brakes changed about 3 months (2000 miles) ago, perhaps I should take the car back?.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: Squealing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20th, 2009, 12:41am »

Sounds like a wheel bearing..........Squealing usually means the bearing has dried out & is getting red hot......& may even be grinding into the hub.  

If it's squealing really bad, then you are pretty close to total bearing seizure/wheel lockup, so I'd get it checked out ASAP  Smiley
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20th, 2009, 7:15am »

Agree. If it is the wheel bearing it needs sorting ASAP.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20th, 2009, 7:29am »

I agree MOST URGENT get it sorted ... Please don't ignore it it could end with a catastrophic failure ....and a lot of damage .  
Read my write up on the rear wheel bearing replacement , that is EXACTLY how mine started... and cost a mint because I had to buy new HUB.... BTW I do have a spare one lying about used but good !
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
TomP

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 10th, 2009, 11:24pm »

Haven't used the car for a few weeks as not been able to take to a garage.

Had to use the car today on a long journey (even though you gave advice to check out asap!). It seems to me the noise is definitely brake related. I drove for about 40 motorway miles before any noise. Then got into traffic, stopping and starting, when I started to notice the noise for periods of time, particularly after pulling away. The noise mostly disappears after a couple of minutes and ALWAYS stops if I touch the brakes OR if I lift the handbrake slightly, but the noise immediately reappears after releasing the braking.

If something in the braking system is somehow "sticking" what is it likely to be?

N.B. the nosie is perhaps more like a very high pitched hum as opposed to a squeal!
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 10th, 2009, 11:34pm »

REAR WHEEL BEARING  Shocked
     GOZZ.
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 11th, 2009, 12:23am »

Losing a wheel at 70mph wont be a pleasant experience.  
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

wojtekor

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 11th, 2009, 12:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

why do some people ignore failures...  

Quote:
 Losing a wheel at 70mph wont be a pleasant experience.  

not only for him i'm afraid. sorry but knowing that there's something seriously wrong with your car especially whilst being advised not to use the car until sorting out the problem is obvious stupidity. you may ignore your own safety but when on road you're a danger to others...
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Apr 11th, 2009, 12:52am »

That's what bad wheel bearings do....start making a noise after a few miles because they are getting hot, but then go silent when you apply the brakes/handbrake because the brake is centralising the hub & taking the pressure off the dried out/shot bearing.

You have had a warning of imminent bearing failure, so take it as a godsend  Wink....I never had a warning when my R/O/S bearing failed at 80mph on the M25 a few years ago  Shocked.....that is something that I wouldn't like to experience ever again  Huh

But...if it is as you think, brake related, then if the brakes are dragging slighly, then this could be down to a sticking caliper  Smiley
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 11th, 2009, 8:04am »

Your description is you have already been advised is a failed/failing wheel bearing .
Take the advice GET IT FIXED for your safety and also of others ..  
Your symptoms are exactly as my own experience, as I documented on the web site .

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
joe-satch

joe satriani is the best guitarist in the world.

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Apr 11th, 2009, 8:38am »

tomp,please take the advice from the people on the site,they know what there talking about,if your problem is brake related....good..thats fine an easy fix....but if it is a rear wheel bearing and its close to failure...you will be in all sorts of trouble..and none of the people on this site want that...so for your own well being and the well being of others....get that wheel bearing replaced. Smiley. Wink.
IP Logged
rich1

london cabbies have the knowledge!!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Apr 11th, 2009, 9:00pm »

i agree with all thats been said above , mine started the same way and i ignored it and then one day on the m11 ....bang !!! shocked the life out of me , and emptied my sky rocket of over 300 quid (that shocked the life out of me too).......seriously take the advice and get it sorted a.s.a.p
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Apr 13th, 2009, 5:29pm »

Speaking from the voice of experiance get it seen too quickly. I ignored mine for a week after it started squealing before it finally collapsed  Shocked. Had i attended it sooner i would of got away with just a bearing instead of a whole hub assembly ( very expensive)
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
joe-satch

joe satriani is the best guitarist in the world.

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Apr 14th, 2009, 8:24am »

lessons to be learned...so tomp should get his repaired NOW.
IP Logged
kev2scorps

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: May 7th, 2009, 7:00pm »

Hi all,

had a slight squeak / whistle from back right rear wheel at low speed a few years ago, especially when turning, e.g. when going around corners and up / down ramps in multi-storey car parks.  After reading all the warnings on here, I took off the hub and hub carrier - bearing was in bits inside - lumps missing on inside - literally!

Last week, intermittenet squeak / grumble at low speed, back left wheel, sounded very bad one morning, bearing had been replaced only 24000 miles previously, mentioned it to the mechanic at work who had a look at it.  Slight lip on disc - filed off - car sounded fine...  for 2 days!  Intermitent squeak / grumble returned.  8 hr journey to do on Saturday, so was concerned.  The mechanic at work looked at it again - rear of car up on axle stands, engine on, traction control off, 3rd gear, wheels spinning up in air, stopped drivers side rear wheel with a piece of timber wedged against the floor (be careful if you try this), listened to rear left for roughness, did the reverse to listen to drivers side. - Rear left / passenger side wheel sounded a bit rougher than right / drivers side.  Off came wheel, checked brake disc for run out - yes, it was running out. Brake caliper, pads, brake disc, and finally hub and hub carrier all removed - bearing was very very rough.  Disassembled hub, carrier bearing races, seals and shells.  Inside bearing smaller shell literally had lumps missing!  Larger shell was badly pitted, grease looked very old / tired.  The mechanic was shocked at how quiet the bearing had been, no hum at 50 - 55mph as would normally be the case in most cars and guesses that water must have been getting in past the seal and breaking down the grease.  He has kept the bearing to show future apprentices.  New bearings and brake pads.  Brake disc checked for run out - none!  The worn bearing must have been causing some misalignment of the hub, brake disc and wheel - causing intermittent scraping of brake pads on disc.  Confidence restored for another few miles now.

I guess that all this just goes to reinforce what all the guys on here have been saying about unusual rear wheel noise - investigate the bearings - very, very often they will proove to be the culprit.

Kev.
IP Logged

2L 16V, 2.3 GHIA SALOONS,2L 8V GHIA EST 2L GRANNIE
freerein

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: May 12th, 2009, 11:09am »

I have had the same problem recently - though the issue was partly to do with the wheel bearing, it wasn't the only(nor the main) problem. The main problem is the driveshaft and CV joints - both ends of the driveshaft have CV Joints and gaitors, both gaitors were split and dry as a bone which is what was making the noise
IP Logged
TomP

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: May 12th, 2009, 3:46pm »

Took the advice and kept the car off the road as the MOT was getting closer and I had no time to get the car looked at.

Car passed the MOT and asked the garage to check the rear bearings, they could find nothing wrong, although the wheel/hubs weren't removed. Garage also took the car for 2 or 3 test drives but couldn't hear the noise.

I've now got the car back and have driven it a couple of times, with the very occasional high pitch squeal.  

Is spinning and rocking the wheels (while raised from the ground) a reliable enough way to check the bearings or does the wheel/hub need to be removed?

I live in Hampshire and am commuting to Scotland each week for work at the moment (tough job market!).....not tarvelling in the Scorpio!....so finding it difficult to find time to get this sorted.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: May 12th, 2009, 4:13pm »

When it starts squealing, then check the wheel centre. If it's hot, then it's indicative of either a worn bearing or a dragging brake  Smiley
IP Logged
freerein

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: May 12th, 2009, 4:13pm »

Did you get any advisories from the MOT?
IP Logged
TomP

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: May 12th, 2009, 4:50pm »

Thanks guys, really appreciate your help.

I showed the garage the thread from this Forum so they could see the bearing is a common problem. No advisory notes at all. I was speaking to the MOT tester as he was testing and asked him to see if he thought the bearings were OK. Spun the wheels and rocked them but could find no problem. I left the car with them for a week so they could drive it around which they did a few times but of course the noise didn't happen!

Perhaps I will have to bite the bullett and take it to have the hub dismantled for it to be checked thoroughly. Garage suggested leaving it until the noise happened more frequently so it would be easier to diagnose, but with all the comments and suggestions her, I am reluctant to wait.

Still odd to me I can drive it for 50 miles with no noise, then, it starts up for a few minutes......generally after having to slow stop at junctions.....and braking.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.