Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 5th, 2024, 8:22am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Squealing »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Squealing
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Squealing  (Read 2191 times)
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: Squealing
« Reply #20 on: May 12th, 2009, 8:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I find the best way to check is to remove the calliper & disc, unbolt the carrier but leave the centre nut tight. You can pull the carrier out far enough to revolve it around the drive shaft. That way you’re just turning the bearing not the diff – any clicking or roughness the bearings need changing.

Dave
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #21 on: May 24th, 2009, 1:46am »

Some more news on failing wheel bearings  Wink....

I noticed an intermittent squeak in the R/O/S wheel on Tuesday. Never heard it before, so thought I'd leave it 'till the weekend & have a look.

Looks like I may have left it too late  Roll Eyes....The brake pads & caliper are fine & the wheel didn't seem to have any movement, but from previous experience, it did sound like a bearing squeak.

Undid the hub nut......but could I pull off the hub ?....No way Huh....something was definately stuck somewhere. So I removed the whole lot & got it on the bench.  

With a couple of long bolts, nuts & washers, I eventually managed to push out the hub from the carrier, but with the inner part & bearing cage of the outer bearing still attached to the hub  Huh

Notice that the bearing cage is also split...not sure if this happened when removing the hub from the carrier, or it was already like it  Undecided

Anyway, the inner part of the outer bearing is still well & truely stuck onto the hub (probably welded on).

I've tried heating with a blow torch & also tried freezing it for a few hours in the freezer, but there is no way it's gonna budge. I'm gonna try to carefully angle grind it off tomorrow, but even if I get it off without damaging the hub, the bearing may still have scored the hub too badly to be able to fit a new bearing  Undecided

This bearing has only been making a very occasional squeak for 4 days & it's looking like it's already done the hub for good  Huh....so it's most probably a new hub as well as new bearings  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #22 on: May 24th, 2009, 7:41am »

JC  had the very same problem..... which is how I ended up with a spare hub .. Soak it in the usual stuff Wd or Duck oil for a couple of hours then .... patience is required ( seldom found in women and never in men !
Get a small cold chisel and working through the two holes you can tap the edge of the bearing cap... It took me over an hour but I did do it  I used the bottom edge of the cap to tap first as you cannot get it on the top edge to start with. You end up with

if you are careful.

Good luck !
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #23 on: May 24th, 2009, 11:26am »

Thanks for the advice Dave, but my patience is starting to wear thin, so decided on the grinder method Wink

I carefully cut it down as far as I could without touching the hub, then gave it a swift whack with hammer & chisel......& voila !!!!....it cracked apart  Cheesy......only took me 10 minutes  Wink

...& the hub looks fine enough to re-use as well  Smiley
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #24 on: May 24th, 2009, 4:39pm »

I've mentioned before that's the fit both mine were as standard, I had to grind them off. The replacement bearings (including genuine ford ones) were the same fit.
The whole lot had to be assembled of the car.
There was nothing wrong with it, just the way it was made (I carefully inspected it with an eyeglass, original machining still visible) - so short of a faulty batch getting through it would seem tolerances may have been changed over the life of the production.

Others have said there’s were as tight.

Dave
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #25 on: May 24th, 2009, 10:38pm »

The inner races ARE a press fit onto the hub,it's logical that they should be,if they were not,movement would ensue even though they are trapped tight longitudinally.
They are removed by a bearing separator puller.
       GOZZ,
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.