Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 6:29pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« One hell off a group of gurus »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   One hell off a group of gurus
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: One hell off a group of gurus  (Read 1101 times)
DagenhamGeoff

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

One hell off a group of gurus
« on: Apr 23rd, 2009, 7:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, I`m new to this group of fine gentlemen, my nane is Geoff (obvious), recntly bought a Ultima 2.3 with 122,000 on the clock, Bit of bubbling to the rear arches but nothing I can`t sort out.

When I got the car the idle was way off 1500, but with your help I`ve managed to get this down to 1,000, still not ideal, MAF cleaned and IAV also cleaned, throttle body buttefly is not sticking so not sure how to lower the idle further.

I`ve also noticed that the autobox kinda thuds into reverse from park, in fact they all seem a little thumpy......checked the ATF, its not red/pink, more like a very light pink/beige colour?...doesn`t smell burnt or anything but it is a little low.......I`m hoping that I can change filter and fluid once I`ve found where to get the filter from.

One other thing I`ve just noticed is the steering wheel itself is "clicking" when turning, whether driving or idle..it`s not coming from the engine bay or underneath it`s literally where the steering wheel adjoins the dash.......pretty scared of driving it as I`ve only been driving for just over a year and being disabled I needed something that was comfortable and the Scorpio is just that.

If ANYONE could give me a few hints/tips/clues I`s be truly grateful......you`ve helped me so far and for that I`m truly grateful

Geoff

IP Logged
holtneil

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Re: One hell off a group of gurus
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23rd, 2009, 7:19pm »

hi mate the click may be from the self cancel indicaters check for movement in steering collum  Huh
IP Logged
tonyboy

black2.924Vcoss ( No More )

Tony+Redden   Tony+Redden
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 23rd, 2009, 7:20pm »

Hello Geoff . Yes excellent site very helpfull people . And when i get a bit of spare cash i'll be making a donation
IP Logged

I think i'm going, erm what do you call it..... Senial.... Huh
DagenhamGeoff

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 23rd, 2009, 7:25pm »

Bloody hell that was a quick response, I`ve just checked steering column, no play at all, think you`re right it must be the indicator cancel.....guess that would make sense....God how dumb am I..never had it in my last car so just wanted to be safe than sorry.  
Thanks Neil.

One problem less to worry about Cheesy
IP Logged
DagenhamGeoff

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 23rd, 2009, 7:26pm »

Hi Tony, I`ll be making a donation once my DLA comes thgrough, monthly "wages" is crap lol
IP Logged
DagenhamGeoff

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 23rd, 2009, 7:38pm »

Any ideas regarding autobox anyone? Please
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 23rd, 2009, 7:45pm »

Could be a lot of things , you need to get the car scanned for fault codes.... There are a lot of members that can do this for you and I am sure they will volunteer if they read this post. Some garages will also do ti for you but they charge and we try to avoid that . Otherwise get yourself off to one of the meets that happen on odd occasions depending on where you are in the country.  

the thumping can be down to a lot of things ... Make sure the box is filled to the correct level and do that when it si HOT on level ground, with the engine running put it through all the gears a couple of times to fill all the oil ways and then leave it running in P and check the level... add fluid if required through the dip stick hole....
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
DagenhamGeoff

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Apr 23rd, 2009, 7:53pm »

Thanks Snoopy (*great name) I`ll give that a try......what do you think on the hand held scanner things they sell for about £80 would that do the trick?
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 23rd, 2009, 8:03pm »

hi there

most of us use..... http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/homediag.htm

hth
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 23rd, 2009, 8:06pm »

Don;t really know, I haven't got one, someone on here  might tell you . The MAF might need a couple of goes before its really clean, and works properly . You could always do a full reset by disconnecting the battery for about 10 mins but make sure oyu have the radio code and know how to reprogramme the windows and like stuff. Personally I would only do that as a last resort.  
Most people on here use Alex Peppers OBD sofware and lead .. details on the OBD pages have a read through the site it might help.

the WHOLE of the FORD TIS manual is also on the main web site so its worth looking through ..... IF you have a few spare weeks !  Grin
IP Logged

Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 23rd, 2009, 8:07pm »

ANDREW..... ! You beat me to it I had a lot to write !!!!!!!!!

Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
IP Logged

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 23rd, 2009, 8:09pm »

if you're not fast, you're last!!! Grin
IP Logged
DagenhamGeoff

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Apr 23rd, 2009, 8:10pm »

" a few spare weeks" lol luckily I`m disabled so spend nearly every day at home........I`ve read a few of the pages and looked through this site a million times but boy does it get confusing lol....thanks for all your input guys.I`ll do some more reading
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Apr 23rd, 2009, 9:41pm »

Geoff. If you look at the meetings page you will see that there is a Kent meet, at Badgers Mount, just off the M25 every two months and the next one should be the end of May. We do have guys and gals who travel up from Essex and usually there are one or two lads with their laptops who will scan the car for you. Very friendly meet.  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Apr 24th, 2009, 5:53pm »

on Apr 23rd, 2009, 7:53pm, DagenhamGeoff wrote:
Thanks Snoopy (*great name) I`ll give that a try......what do you think on the hand held scanner things they sell for about £80 would that do the trick?

I've got an OBD11 handheld scanner & they are good at picking up engine management fault codes, but don't tend to read the gearbox fault codes....well mine doesn't anyway  Smiley
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Apr 25th, 2009, 1:03am »

A faulty ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature sensor) could cause a high idle speed - the desired tickover speed drops as the engine warms. You could try unplugging it a few times to clean the contacts. A faulty one won’t necessarily produce a fault code.
It isn’t the same sensor that works the temp gauge – so you can’t use that as a guide.

Dave
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
joe-satch

joe satriani is the best guitarist in the world.

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Apr 25th, 2009, 8:55am »

the meeting place of the essex ford granada owners is at the halfway house pub on the A127 southend bound,and the meeting is tomorrow april 26th...all are welcome...mk1-mk2-mk3- and ultimas.regards den....ps time of meet is 12noon. Smiley.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Apr 25th, 2009, 10:29am »

The Alex Pepper lead will give the temperature reading from the ECT & the desired/actual rpm - don't know which of the other readers will.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
DagenhamGeoff

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Apr 25th, 2009, 7:15pm »

Thanks to everyone, after changing the ATF and filter, the autobox is now silky smooth, now I really do have to sort out the sounds in the car, was thinking of a new headunit but I just have no idea how to go about it, I gather it`s not just a case of taking the old and plugging in the new, correct me if I`m wrong but the standard Fords headunit have a seperate amplifier, I`m hoping on bypassing this and installing an aftermarket amp, guess that means losing the stalk control as well.....if anyone is an audiophile out there and could share their wisdom I`d be realy grateful.....thanks again for everyones comments, made me feel really welcome and loved lol
IP Logged
Pegasus

24V Cosworth  Ultima Born: Sept 97, sold Aug 23

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Apr 26th, 2009, 8:05pm »

on Apr 23rd, 2009, 7:19pm, holtneil wrote:
hi mate the click may be from the self cancel indicaters check for movement in steering collum  Huh

My steering wheel has clicked on turning for the 1st half mile (moving off slowly when cold) since I've had it - nothing to do with the self cancel indicators. Not sure of cause but never given any probs or concerns.
IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.