Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 6:18pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« cooling  probs »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   cooling  probs
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: cooling  probs  (Read 553 times)
familyguy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

cooling  probs
« on: May 6th, 2009, 8:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys  

yesterday the low coolant level light came on, checked and it was low so i topped it up, let the car cool down and turned the ignition on the light was still there,

went to pick the children up from school(2.5 miles) and the light was still on,and the level was low undid the top of the expansion bottle and it appeared to have drawn a vacuum as the water returned to the expansion bottle with a loud hiss, the level was now correct.

Drove home and the same thing, the car is a cossie it has had a new water pump and cooling rad , i checked for leaks  and can see non.

last week when it was cold there was water vapour from the exhaust for the first 30secs of driving which i put down to condensation in the exhaust pipe.

I can't see why the car would be drawing a vacuum unless there is a blockage somewhere
 the gauge was bouncing about on sunday on a long run to liverpool it would drop to cold but never went above half.

could i have an air lock in the system?

many thanks for any help  

gareth
IP Logged

Ford Falcon f6 typhoon,2.2 westie,mx6 & a cossie
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: cooling  probs
« Reply #1 on: May 6th, 2009, 9:09am »

If the rad and pump were recently fitted it could be that whoever fitted them failed to purge the air from the system,this can be tricky and needs patience,steam from the exhaust for a short time after starting(longer in cold weather)is normal.Were the problem a leaking head gasket,I would have expected overpressurising and boiling,but keep your eye on it.
        GOZZ.
IP Logged
familyguy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 6th, 2009, 9:14am »

thanks gozz

I am used to messing with cars which is why the vacuum threw me.

this was rens car and he fitted a new water pump, cooling rad and heater matrix to the car .

the temp differance between the top of the rad and the bottom is vast the bottom is almost cold the top red hot.

i think it has not been bled, are they self bleeding?or is it a case of run then car top up ect.

thanks  

gaz
IP Logged

familyguy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 6th, 2009, 1:07pm »

hi one and all

just got back from the garage and all is well

we hooked the car up to a flush machine ,flushed the whole system changed the expansion bottle and a couple of the hoses.

all is now well  

we found the expansion bottle was very dirty and this lead to a faulty level switch also the system had a number of air locks in it.

the small pipes going in the expansion bottle were blocked and the inlets on the expansion bottle were totally blocked

hope the above can help others , thanks for all the help offered .

gaz  
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.