Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 4:33pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 24v cats »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   24v cats
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 24v cats  (Read 1033 times)
python9

1997 24v ghia saloon

View Profile Email

24v cats
« on: May 8th, 2009, 11:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

i replaced the offside cat with no problems got the studs out of the bust cat  none of them snapped but now i have a major headache i snapped  studs on the nearside cat while replacing it and ford dont have new ones  they say they come as part of the cat already screwed in and the studs are not available to buy seperate i bought both cats from buyparts  with no studs screwed into them for connecting up with the manifolds  where  can i  get the studs to get my scorp back on the road
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: 24v cats
« Reply #1 on: May 8th, 2009, 12:03pm »

Don't bother with the studs, just  double nut and bolt it (use two nuts - lock the first one off with the second).  Just drill out the studs if you snap them on the manifold side.
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 8th, 2009, 1:26pm »

any good exhaust shop or garage should have M10 exhaust studs on the shelf.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
python9

1997 24v ghia saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: May 8th, 2009, 9:53pm »

replaced the nearside cat now car wont run  worth a monkeys i think i have a vacum leak  some where  and when i did get it started i have gas escape from rear of the  passenger side inlet manifold where the throttle body meets the inlet manifold  and when i did get it started  the  i noticed the just after the cat the down pipe was glowing red hot  what has happened to beloved scorpio 24v
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: May 9th, 2009, 7:50am »

hi there

sounds like you have some sort of blockage in the exhaust, hence the glow.

i'd take the exhaust off and give it a shake.

as for the vac leak, check all the vac pipes around the back of the heads.

hth
IP Logged
python9

1997 24v ghia saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: May 9th, 2009, 8:57am »

would the cat damged  with the down  pipe glowing
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: May 9th, 2009, 9:36am »

hi there

the new cat? not really. was only a short time, wasn't it?

cats run at a high temp anyway. ok, they don't like getting too hot (raw petrol in the mix, etc), but as long as it's not for too long, they should be fine.

hth
IP Logged
python9

1997 24v ghia saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: May 9th, 2009, 9:43am »

the blockage must be in the cat  as it was okay before i changed it  didnt have this problem when i changed the offside cat 3 weks ago
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: May 9th, 2009, 9:47am »

hi there

if it's glowing after the cat, then it must be the exhaust, i would think. baffles? Undecided
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: May 9th, 2009, 9:49am »

hi there

you could take out the rear lambda sensors and try it. if it runs better, then it's the exhaust.

btw, it will be LOUD! Grin

hth
IP Logged
python9

1997 24v ghia saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: May 10th, 2009, 12:17pm »

okay now i have taken both inlets off and  removed the throtle body and both cats  and the small flexi parts to the main exhaust  there no blockage in any of them or the cats  i have the down pipes with the cats  a shake nothing came out run compressed air through them  and through whole exhaust no blockage  an i have a question  i know where nearly all my vaccum go but  iam stumped where one goes it leads from the two pipeson the offside inlet manifold just a short way allong there a two connectors  and a extension to the egr at the back of the engine underneath the throttle body iam stumped where  this double connection goes onto
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: May 10th, 2009, 3:35pm »

hi there

a photo would help lots. Smiley

you'll need to wait on one of the 24v owners seeing this as i don't know the layout of the 24v.

hth
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: May 11th, 2009, 8:45am »

sounds like a wiring issue, ie injector trigger side to earth causing injector to inject continuously, excess fuel will burn in cat causing cat & pipe to glow.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
python9

1997 24v ghia saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: May 11th, 2009, 11:19am »

okay put put both inlets back on and when connecting the vacum pipes bsck up  i broke the small end of the t piece that joins from the bigish hoses to a smaller diamiter rubber pipe to ones that connect to the inlet manifolds the t-piece is  bigger than standart size with a stanterd piece coming of it to fit the smaller diamiter vaccum  where would i be able to get hold of a new one anyone that has had the inlets of will know the vaccum layout under neath the throttle body
IP Logged
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: May 12th, 2009, 7:21am »

on May 11th, 2009, 11:19am, python9 wrote:
okay put put both inlets back on and when connecting the vacum pipes bsck up  i broke the small end of the t piece that joins from the bigish hoses to a smaller diamiter rubber pipe to ones that connect to the inlet manifolds the t-piece is  bigger than standart size with a stanterd piece coming of it to fit the smaller diamiter vaccum  where would i be able to get hold of a new one anyone that has had the inlets of will know the vaccum layout under neath the throttle body

Exactly that piece was broken when we were fault finding. You will get one from Ford, or you go to a general purpose car spares/hobbyist-style store and get one. I think it was 8mm x 2 and 5mm x 1 in the T-joint (or as a Y joint, any will do). You could also do it with a pieace of 8mm hose and 8->5mm adapter (someone verify the sizes). It should not prevent the car from running, but emissions was worse before it was fixed. Replacing is a pain, you need to take out the middle piece of the inlet manifold to see/reach it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.