Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 5th, 2024, 4:21am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Speaker wiring »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Speaker wiring
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Speaker wiring  (Read 907 times)
DagenhamGeoff

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Speaker wiring
« on: May 9th, 2009, 6:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi again people, I`m beginning to hate my Scorpio (sadly), first the idle (sorted), the climate control (sorted) both rear bearings (sorted), headunit fitted and everything was going peachy, bought an amp and set of speakers for parcel shelf, sounded terrible, so did away with the amp AND speakers and went back to the original Ford ones, now my front speakers sound brilliant, Ford originals, no probelm there at all, however, the rear speakers sound blody terrible, absolutely no oomp in them at all, totally distorted sound, so, reinstalled origanl Ford headunit, same problem, front speakers perfect rear are nutse, i remember that i did hear a couple of cracks when installing the new speakers, i can only presume the live and negative feed termianls touched metal somehow, so now I`m totally confused, I`ve spent almost £300 on speakers alone lol...could it be the rear wirng loom has disintegrated or something else.
Anyadvice would help.
As promised £5.00 donated(payday yay)
IP Logged
familyguy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: Speaker wiring
« Reply #1 on: May 11th, 2009, 11:03am »

hi

unless you were working with the amp or head unit on there should have been no power in the speaker wires so no chance of shorts.

did you cut the plugs off the oem speaker wires?you need good conections to the speaker.

my other thourght is damage to the speaker cone or mounting.

gaz
IP Logged

Ford Falcon f6 typhoon,2.2 westie,mx6 & a cossie
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 11th, 2009, 3:06pm »

the front originals are actually very good, the rears however are diabolical, i changed mine for a quality pair of the same size 5 x 7, this seemed to sort it.
as familyguy said unless theres power its unlikely damage can happen, though there may be some static....
IP Logged

k1ng_james

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 17th, 2009, 11:15pm »

hasnt the scorpio got a built in amp? my system is standard but is loud and clear.

sounds to me that you have a crack in the speaker
IP Logged
pinto

TD04 on a galaxy manifold ? whooooooosh !

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: May 19th, 2009, 9:51pm »

Personally, when i get round to sorting the ICE in my cossie, I'll be starting from scratch - to get the highest quality of sound, you need to build quality in from the ground up - use a decent head unit, high quality speakers and very importantly - use decent multistrand speaker cable !

The scorp has, to be frank, bloody abysmal equipment as stock - the speakers are weak, cheaply made and tinny, with pretty much no base response at all.  THE RDS heads , whilst ok for stock, also lack clarity and are no good at all for connectivity !

So......

If i were you, i'd persevere with your original aftermarket route Smiley - heres a few observations / tips

1) 5x7 speakers were a concession to space, not fitted to create quality - i've used " decent" branded alternatives but they still sound poor (i have 4 of them in my transit tourneo).  My advise is to create some speaker mounts from 18mm MDF and fit decent 6" (150mm) Co-axials, or seperates with remote tweeters - this should sort out your rear speaker woes Smiley

Consider co-axials or seperates for the front doors too ( be prepared to use sound deadening internally, and to fit stiffener rings to the door apetures to cut vibration and distortion

2) If you want decent Base response (such as dance music or rock) then you MUST MUST MUST use a subwoofer ! (this is where your aftermarket head unit comes in - RCA line-outs were never fitted to any of fords stock equipment, and taking a sub signal from the high level outputs is a very poor second choice)

You needn't go mad - a quality 10" sub + enclosure will provide more than enough for moderate tastes ( in my case, I'll be fitting 2x 15" Sinus Live Dual coils runnning on 800W monoblock amps - and also 2x base pumps in the cabin area Grin )

For sound/punch/price I'd HIGHLY recommend the Sinus Live SLW-250  - a lot of kit for the price Smiley

buy it here http://www1.uk.conrad.com/

Run new speaker cables - the stock equipment runs as part of the loom and as such is susceptible to EM signals from the rest of the wiring of the vehicle.

To do this job properly - you'll most likely be stripping the interior and lifiting the carpets so you can route power and speaker cables through the car - but remember... do the job properly and your sounds will be a joy for many years to come Smiley

IP Logged
DagenhamGeoff

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 29th, 2009, 8:05pm »

Hi again, sorry I haven`t had the chance to reply, helping brother sort out his house after a Romanian "proffesional decorator" turned it into a bomb site whilst my brother was in hospital having quad by-pass.
Anyways.....thank you ALL so much for all your feedback.
I have totally ripped out everything (audio wise) in my Scorp, fitted a Sony headunit withbuiltin handsfree (can`t stand fools that use their hpone and drive, foolishness), rewired the whole car, a lot easier than I thought, Fitted new front components, rear 5x7 (mid and hi range only) powered by an amp and in the boot i`ve used acoustic carpeted mdf and fitted the amp and 2 6x9 with hi pass off so just recieving bass and mid.it actually sounds bloody good, very clear which is what I was after, I did have a subwoofer from brother in law but with 2 disabled children I needed the space (not to put them in but very tempting at times0..so now I`m a very happy bunny, except for paying £223 for rear bearings and now trying to sort out the rear vibration, christ only know where that`s coming from.
Long rant and ramble over but thanks to everyone that replied, best forum going.no silly kids.
Take care all
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.