Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 2nd, 2024, 10:21pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« My gearbox problem :)) »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   My gearbox problem :))
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: My gearbox problem :))  (Read 1794 times)
Ivan Pevnitsky

Scorpio Ghia '96, 2.3, Auto

View Profile

My gearbox problem :))
« on: Jun 4th, 2009, 10:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The little PRE-HISTORY: Year ago my gearbox stopped to work. It was then repaired on the service. It started to work but still has some troubles: If i start driving on "D" it almost always doesn't shift the gear from 1-st until i release the gas pedal.  
It stayed without moving all the winter, until i started to drive it again month ago.
So i found the way to get it work good: start with "2" and when reach 40-25 km/h, switch to "D". The gearbox oil has light-red color, and smells well.
I cleaned the MAF, but it didn't help.

Now the HISTORY:
Yesterday something strange happened to my car.

I got in my car and selected "2" gear selector positoin. Then released the breaked pedal - the car started to move.  
But when I started pressing the gas pedal the car suddenly started jerking, and the revs didnt increased though I pressed gas pedal more and more. But when I fully released the gas pedal - it started to move ok (with slow speed). I tried all: "1", "2" and "D" - when I was pressing the gas again the car was jerking again, and revs didn't get over 1500.

I stopped the car set the selector into "N" position and pressed gas pedal - revs went high as they should.

I turned the ignition off. Then started the car again - it seemed to work as normal, but after stopping it repeated again.

I left if for the night and go home. Today morning  it was working without jerking. Just fine. Except two things: the remote doesn't work, and seat heater buttons doesn't work Huh
I replaced batteries in the remote 2 days ago, so they must be fine, but I measured it's voltage:  one gives 2.94V, and another - 2.75V, both - 5.69V . Though it's very strange for batteries to loose 0.25V by 2 days, I think it should be enough for remote to work.

Right before it started to behave like this I had opened the hood cover. It was raining (mist) and I don't have a battery cover. But when you open the hood cover the water streams down right on the battery!!!  - could it be the reason of such a behavior??

I also made a dignostics:

here's errors that was week before:
P0171 - System too lean (Bank 1)
P0732 - Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio
P1756 - Shift Solenoid B Performance
P1761 - Shift Solenoid C Performance
P1701 - Reverse Engagement Error

And these two appeared when I tested after the problem came:
P1749 -  Pressure Control Solenoid A Failed Low
P1270 -  Engine RPM or Vehicle Speed Limiter Reached

So"what had happened" the question is! Huh
IP Logged
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

Re: My gearbox problem :))
« Reply #1 on: Jun 5th, 2009, 12:40pm »

on Jun 4th, 2009, 10:36pm, Ivan Pevnitsky wrote:

I left if for the night and go home. Today morning  it was working without jerking. Just fine. Except two things: the remote doesn't work, and seat heater buttons doesn't work Huh
I replaced batteries in the remote 2 days ago, so they must be fine, but I measured it's voltage:  one gives 2.94V, and another - 2.75V, both - 5.69V . Though it's very strange for batteries to loose 0.25V by 2 days, I think it should be enough for remote to work.

The remote key fob needs reprogramming if buttons are pressed more than ten times outside the range of the car. I don't know if this is the case, but this has happened to me sometimes.

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/remote.htm
IP Logged
NiceMan

I am Real NiceMan.

45554408 45554408    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 5th, 2009, 1:32pm »

Possibly you have simply electric problem because come so many error code...

Open wire covers and look what found inside...
Link has what i find in my car...
http://www.riceracing.net/gal/thumbnails.php?album=36
IP Logged
Ivan Pevnitsky

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 5th, 2009, 1:32pm »

I know that it needs to be reprogrmmed after disconnecting battery. I used to reprogram it earlier.  
But this time I tried to o this - when the PATS made the sound signalling "ready to program", pressing the buttons on the fob didn't take any effect (I tried to press both ways: quckly and hold).  
And note: i didn't disconnect the battery from the car. And fob worked day before.
IP Logged
wojtekor

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 5th, 2009, 1:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
and I don't have a battery cover.

as usual, you'll probably need to rebuild the fusebox/es... and get a battery cover asap....  

i agree with NiceMan, it's most likely an electric problem. start with fuseboxes and the wiring loom....
IP Logged
NiceMan

I am Real NiceMan.

45554408 45554408    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 5th, 2009, 1:55pm »

If you hear Blin sound when you press buttons, program is ready...
But many time when i have battery disconnect i NOT need reprogram remote... its works but some time system forget it whit no reason...
It can press fast... i remember at press 3 time them come bling from car and program is ready.
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 5th, 2009, 2:33pm »

Re the remote it could be the conductive coating on the inside of the buttons that has worn off, you can test this by opening the remote and using something metal on the switch contacts while programming.

Your large number of fault codes does suggest wiring but i'd be looking at the gearbox loom first of all i think..
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

NiceMan

I am Real NiceMan.

45554408 45554408    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 5th, 2009, 2:59pm »

on Jun 5th, 2009, 2:33pm, Highlander wrote:

Your large number of fault codes does suggest wiring but i'd be looking at the gearbox loom first of all i think..

If its cossu, gearbox cabel go inside motor where is hot... so that plactic cover come hard and them its broke...
Another place is where cabel come from wall to motor room... After 10-40cm from wall is place where they are many time broke... possible catalyt is so so so hot near...
But one time you make all cabel new its nice to drive =)
Wire cover is easy open and look inside at all cabel looks nice or broke...

IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 5th, 2009, 3:06pm »

Its a 2.3
IP Logged

Ivan Pevnitsky

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jun 5th, 2009, 3:06pm »

Well. I heard feris blin - system is ready. Then I tried to press/hold button(s)/press several times. There's a second blin sound after ~5 seconds from the first one, but for me it seems to indicate that I didn't program the remote within given interval. Anyway, fob's not working.

But please, don't concentrate on the keyfob. I know it's old, and the pads need to be rebuilt. So it's the less problem I have.

The most importand thing is the car jercing when pressing gas pedal.  Today I also had no problem with it %)

2NiceMan: I'm amazed by the clearness of the hood inlet of your car!
If only I had a garage to do this work myself.

IP Logged
NiceMan

I am Real NiceMan.

45554408 45554408    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 5th, 2009, 7:33pm »

I make outside...i have no garage... New cabel make living room and Wife is happy =)
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Jun 5th, 2009, 7:42pm »

on Jun 5th, 2009, 7:33pm, NiceMan wrote:
New cabel make living room and Wife is happy =)

ROFL ROFL ROFL
IP Logged

Ivan Pevnitsky

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jun 8th, 2009, 8:30pm »

Today fixed the seat heaters: checked fuses - all fine. Disconnected buttons and relay. Checked them all - all ok. connected again - all is working =)) Though the wires and contacts are in a very good sate.

The fob: at the moment replacing rubbers with ones from an old TV remote. Tommor will buy new batteries and check if it works (I suppose there' shot-surcuiting somehere in batteries contact - it's the second time when one of the batteries is almost 3V, and another one is near to 0.5 V)

The autobox: told to the man who reapired it year ago. He told it's most probably the wiring, though it can be that valves are stuck in the valve body (when he repaired my gearbox year ago, he replaced valve body with one form anothe box, because some valves didn't move). He told that to disconnect the wires from thw box I have to take off the box pallet (and drain the oil)
IP Logged
Ivan Pevnitsky

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Aug 10th, 2009, 4:21am »

Made some diagnostics yesterday.

First 2 pictures are done when the gearbox is COLD, 15 minutes of driving. When it's cold it works fine, but after 10 minutes (when it becomes hot), it starts to do bad things.

Note that when gearbox became hot, it never switches to 2-nd gear.

Note, That if I set selector to "2" I get gear 2 without problems.

Next 2 pics are made while the gearbox is HOT. 28 mins of driving

When it's hot I have sevceral problems. If I stop (on a croassroad, for example) whithout changing the selector from D, then when I start to drive (pressing accel) - it doesn't switch the gear from 1, until I release pedal. When I do so, I can feel non-slight  kick. It seems like it looses gear for a second, and revs go high without any giving power to car, and then I feel the kick of turning on G3.
PS: since the values are taken within about 5-7 seconds intervals, there's no high revs (about 6000) on the graph. But they are!

The second problem when it's hot: If I stop after driving, and set selector to "P". Then when I set to "D" nothing happens. The car "doesn't get" the gear, as I would select "N". Only when I select "1" - it "takes" the gear, then switching to "D" - and I can drive.
It might be thought that selector is failed, but accroding to tests it determines position correctly:

Also note, that I cannot get GEAR 4 even when it's cold. I don't know why, but in almost all cases it doesn't switch to G4. I can feel it tries on first times, but it became "shaking" a little. If it accidentially switches to G4 it's immediately goes back to G3 (though the speed is about 100 km/h, above 3000 revs). several switches - and O/D is blinking.

I can see that engine VSS and gearbox VSS show equal results. The selector sensor seems to work fine, as it always indicates the different voltage for different positions. Transmission ratios for G1 and G3 are seems to be ok (2.47 and 1.0 respectively, but G3 might be 0.99x on graph)

My DTCs for ths moment are:
P0732 Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio
P1756 Shift Solenod B Performance
P1761 Shift Solenod C Performance

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.