Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 2:37pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Handbrake not working »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Handbrake not working
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Handbrake not working  (Read 2472 times)
roger_howes

1997 24v Ultima Estate (aka 'Money Eater')

View Profile

Handbrake not working
« on: Jun 13th, 2009, 9:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all,

The handbrake mechanisms in both rear calipers on my 1997 Ultima Cossie have seized, so I have no handbrake at the moment.  The garage I use freed them once, but they have gradually seized again.  He now tells me that I need new calipers - at a cost (all in) of £200.

Is this the only way, or can they be freed again successfully?

If not, has anyone got a pair of good ones they will sell me?

Regards.

Roger.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Handbrake not working
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13th, 2009, 10:29am »

Roger, This is a common problem and not easily resolved. The mechanism is deep in the caliper and only accessible once the unit is dismantled. The short answer,in my opinion,is to replace them BUT bear in mind that even though the handbrake mechanism on a secondhand one may be ok it will be worn inside. They frequently sieze on autos because they are not used as much. You can only try and free them off initially but the seal beneath the operating arm will prevent anything getting down onto the shaft inside. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 13th, 2009, 11:32am »

Agree with Simmo.....

I had the same thing happen a while ago & managed to free it off for a little while, but it didn't last very long. The only real cure was to replace the caliper  Smiley
IP Logged
big_timer

2.3 manual ultima saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 13th, 2009, 12:07pm »

my local motor factors(moto glass.belfast)offered a service in which you bought a recon rear caliper,which were original ford calipers,cleaned up,new mechanisms fitted and new nipples fitted.for £80 then when you returned the old caliper they gave you a refund of £30.
IP Logged

how can i soar with the eagles?
big_timer

2.3 manual ultima saloon

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 13th, 2009, 12:08pm »

i think that once the cam inside the caliper starts to wear you have no chance of gettin a good handbrake
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 13th, 2009, 2:03pm »

on Jun 13th, 2009, 12:08pm, big_timer wrote:
i think that once the cam inside the caliper starts to wear you have no chance of gettin a good handbrake

Agree. Thats exactly the problem.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 14th, 2009, 5:03pm »

Oh dear I'm going to be disagreeing with everyone again!! Grin

Like a couple of they guys above I've successfully freed off calipers on a few occasions, WD40 and a small hammer seem to be the tools Wink

I usually knock them back and forwards a good while after they appear free just to make sure.

I also have a (bad) habit if its an auto of leaving the car in Park with the handbrake off for a while after freeing them  

Cant say i've ever had a problem with them sticking again after though.

Comes down to money again I think, £200 for new calipers or half an hour with a small hammer and a can of WD40 now and again Wink

IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

big_timer

2.3 manual ultima saloon

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 14th, 2009, 11:00pm »

there must be a repair kit for the caliper.(as in one of my last posts)
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 14th, 2009, 11:34pm »

Never seen them but someone must be getting them somewhere if they are being refurbed
IP Logged

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jun 15th, 2009, 1:10am »

Stuart, I'd have to disagree  Wink.....I drenched mine in 'plusgas' & whacked it back & forth with a hammer until it started moving. It did the trick for a little while but it wasn't working as smoothly as it should & soon seized up again.

Agreed that it's most likely down to relying on 'P' to hold the car & not the handbrake, but once the water gets into it & starts corroding, then the only sure way is to replace the caliper.

We all know what happens to the rear boot lock when we only use the remote to open it  Wink.....But that can be freed up because it's not exposed to as much water/salt from the road  Smiley

P.S......got a decent 2nd hand caliper from the breakers for £20  Smiley
IP Logged
roger_howes

1997 24v Ultima Estate (aka 'Money Eater')

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jun 15th, 2009, 10:02am »

Many thanks all for your comments and suggestions.

The garage actually released the handbrake mechanism, but is was only OK for 2 or 3 weeks before it gradually stopped working again!

I suspect that I will need new calipers.  Actually, £200 all in (including fitting and VAT) doesn't seem too steep, athough it's still £199 more than I'd like to pay!

Regards.

Roger.
IP Logged
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Jun 17th, 2009, 9:53pm »

Did any one remove the spring and bolt, the shaft can then move up and down as well and I used 3 in 1 oil, not had a problem for several years now.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jun 18th, 2009, 6:37am »

This is a method to try BUT as you no doubt discovered you cannot remove the shaft as the 'peg' which links it to the threaded rod on which  the piston turns prevents that. IF it is lack of use/corrosion that may work BUT if there is wear in the components it may not. Hopefully after Harewood we may have a better idea as I have asked Highlander,and others, to examine one I dismantled. If we can get some photos on the site it may help in the future.  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Jun 18th, 2009, 2:18pm »

I wont be able to see it!  
Snoopys going to pour molten lead into my eye sockets I believe Smiley

NOW WHY AM I GOING TO DO THAT  Huh. WHAT have you been up to Huh.
IP Logged

Neil W

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jun 18th, 2009, 4:43pm »

I tried every which way to free off my calipers and all resulted in working for a few weeks or months before seizing up again. I tried all the methods mentioned above. So in the end, with an MoT coming up, I bit the bullet and went for properly reconditioned units. It is not possible to recondition them yourself because the required seals are no longer available and in any case they are likely to be beyond recovery for the average home mechanic.

Recon units are dead easy to fit, except for unclipping and re-clipping the handbrake cable - that took more than an hour per side to unclip despite freeing off the adjuster completely and unclipping the cable from the suspension arms.  

I got a pair of Budweg calipers for £203 incl vat and p&p  (actually £303 less £100 for old ones) from Brakes International of Rochdale www.brakesint.co.uk and part numbers BCA 2060 & BCA 2061 (for 1998 cosworth). They were very efficient with next day delivery.

Hope this helps.

Neil W.
IP Logged

1998 Scorpio Ultima Cosworth facelift saloon, reg S896VOG. Sold Feb 2010. Now own Mercedes-Benz E320 CDi.
wojtekor

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jun 20th, 2009, 2:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

OK, Stu has dropped off the cossie calipers today and I had a good look before dismantling them and getting them ready for painting.  
Also did a research on polish websites (this nation has a cheap solution for everything Wink )and apparently there are plenty of repair/rebuild kits for Scorpio calipers available in poland and they cost an equivalent of 5-10£ !!! contain all rubber elements, bleeding tits etc.  
If necessary pistons are also available for only a few pounds...  

Other then that I found a fair deal of how-tos with pics and stuff on how to rebuild/fix the calipers that i can run through the google translate and post here...  
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Jun 20th, 2009, 9:53am »

That would be interesting, especially for the rear calipers..
They seem to be the main problem, especially the handbrake mechanisim
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Jun 20th, 2009, 10:26am »

Agree
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Jun 20th, 2009, 11:25am »

on Jun 18th, 2009, 4:43pm, Neil W wrote:
I tried every which way to free off my calipers and all resulted in working for a few weeks or months before seizing up again. I tried all the methods mentioned above. So in the end, with an MoT coming up, I bit the bullet and went for properly reconditioned units. It is not possible to recondition them yourself because the required seals are no longer available and in any case they are likely to be beyond recovery for the average home mechanic.

Recon units are dead easy to fit, except for unclipping and re-clipping the handbrake cable - that took more than an hour per side to unclip despite freeing off the adjuster completely and unclipping the cable from the suspension arms.  

I got a pair of Budweg calipers for £203 incl vat and p&p  (actually £303 less £100 for old ones) from Brakes International of Rochdale www.brakesint.co.uk and part numbers BCA 2060 & BCA 2061 (for 1998 cosworth). They were very efficient with next day delivery.

Hope this helps.

Neil W.

They do list service kits and pistons on that site http://www.brakesint.co.uk/ once you get to the caliper page you have to click on the blue associated button.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
wojtekor

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jun 20th, 2009, 12:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

OK, I can't make it work as a direct link with google translate as it asks for login a password. Give me few min. to find a walkaround Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.