Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 3rd, 2024, 12:13am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« URGENT HELP PLEASE !!!!!! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   URGENT HELP PLEASE !!!!!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: URGENT HELP PLEASE !!!!!!  (Read 4835 times)
Brad

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: URGENT HELP PLEASE !!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 3:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi ya
Sorry for the delay in replying to contributors but I've been very busy.
I eventually had to have the Scorpio towed in to a local garage as the electrical problem looked a mess.
Firstly, they found that the battery side fusebox had a huge burn mark across the underside and had almost caught fire.  At great expense, the fusebox was replaced but other problems persisted (no lights, wipers etc).
They rang me today to say that they strongly suspect that the other fusebox is knacked too !!
The main problem is that the MOT is due on the 12th July.
I told them to do a pre-MOT first to see if there is nothing major on that,  The outcome of that will dictate weither I go ahead and get them to fit the second fusebox.
Even so, the bill so far = £247, so if the car is scrap, I'll loose all that money as well as the car.  Can't afford another motor, so I'm stuck.
I'll let you know how things go.
Brad
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #21 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 3:32pm »

hi there

the wiper, lights issue could well be just the multi plug on the main fuse box not being in correctly.

very easy to put the plug back in a row of pins out.

hth
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #22 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 3:40pm »

I have a large wad on that being the problem! Smiley

The multiplug on the drivers side fusebox has two plastic pins on the end of it that fit under lugs on the fusebox before its pushed down into place, it might look ok but its not Wink
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

wojtekor

Email

« Reply #23 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 3:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

£247 for changing the fusebox?! omg
IP Logged
tootman318

Leicester City Forever

View Profile Email

« Reply #24 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 5:16pm »

brad, get them to check the 3 main feeds that go from battery side fuse box accross to main fusebox. they all serve different circuits. if it is the main fusebox gone, i have a box off a 24v cossie that had a smack from few years ago. car was running ok. all electrics worked then!!  dont know if its the same box as yours though. if it is same, you pay postage then you can have it for nothing.  regards  darren
IP Logged

Leicester City FC Forever!!!!!
Brad

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #25 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 10:51pm »

Hi
£247 included the fusebox (£150 from Mr Ford), labour and towing in etc ... so far !  
The mechanic was 97% sure that changing the battery side fusebox would do the trick.

I'm not sure that a 24v cossie fusebox will be the same as an M reg 2L 16v so I'd sooner check first if that will be okay.

I think it will all depend upon the outcome of the pre-MOT tomorrow, fingers and everything else crossed.
Brad
IP Logged
Brad

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #26 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 10:55pm »

Ooops, forgot, I'll mention the multiplug to the mechanic tomorrow, it might just save me another £150 on replacing the other fusebox.
He DID happen to mention that when he wiggled one or two fuses, that the headlights came on and back off again, .... hum, interesting.
I'll keep people updated when I know myself.
Brad
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #27 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 11:21pm »

on Jul 1st, 2009, 10:51pm, Brad wrote:
The mechanic was 97% sure that changing the battery side fusebox would do the trick.

Based on what diagnosis?? Sounds like they're guessing to me
IP Logged

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #28 on: Jul 2nd, 2009, 1:35am »

How did the fusebox come to have a huge burn mark underneath & nearly catch fire ?  Huh....& would replacing the fusebox & not sourcing the cause lead to the same problem again ?  Undecided
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #29 on: Jul 2nd, 2009, 9:53am »

JC.
I had a similar problem whereby there had been arcing between the main lead into the aux box and the bolt retaining it,the base of the box had melted around the bolt.It appeared as though the bolt may have been loose !
        GOZZ.
IP Logged
Brad

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #30 on: Jul 4th, 2009, 10:28pm »

Hi all
Update to the Scorpio saga:
The car sailed through the MOT okay, the only items it failed on was in connection to the electrical problem.  Therefore, I could allow another fusebox to be fitted (at great expense).
This was fitted the next day and all seemed well.  The car was then re-tested on the failed items, ie lights, wipers etc. and was issued with a full MOT.   I had the faulty parts and I was amazed at the damage to both fuseboxes,  The Aux box looked like it had been hit by lightning, this lead to similar damage on the main fusebox.  Total bill = £512.
I picked the vehicle up this morning (Saturday), it was running a little 'lumpy' but parked it outside our home.  A little later I found that the engine cranked but wouldn't fire.
I called the mechanics, who came straight out to the vehicle.  Looks like the coil packs are shot now !!!  I could see that there was voltage going into each coil but nothing coming out.  I could well understand that the original short on the Aux fusebox could have created a voltage surge and blown the coil packs !!!!!!!
If it rains it bloody well pee's it down.
I'll see what happens on Monday.

Brad
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #31 on: Jul 5th, 2009, 1:41am »

What condition is the engine wiring loom ?....ie, is there any bare wires going to the coil packs ?  Smiley
IP Logged
wojtekor

Email

« Reply #32 on: Jul 5th, 2009, 3:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

we're back to the loom... it's shot. severe damage to the loom could result in damaging the fuseboxes in the way you described...
IP Logged
Brad

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #33 on: Jul 14th, 2009, 10:27pm »

Hi everyone.
Sorry for taking so long to update this thread but I've been busy again.
The latest is that after both fuseboxes were replaced and it broke down again, was that I bought 2 new coil packs, a new set of ignition leads and a set of plugs.  I had the same mechanic replace these parts for £20.  Trouble was that the car was no different afterwards.
I decided to have a look and wthin 10 minutes found that the Fuel Shut-Off loom was totally b****red (as several contributors had already pointed out).  The insulation had broken down in many places and in 3 places bare wires were shorting on the engine block while several bare wires were shorting each other.  All the insulation was just powder.  I didn't bother with looking at the connections to the coil packs.  I just ordered a new Fuel Shut-Off loom, just waiting for it to arrive.  It's great to see this site has a very good article upon how to replace the loom.
I am still mad with the mechanic because I asked 3 times for him to check the wiring loom.  He also stated that he did an OBD on the car but said that there were too many errors to list (no print-out then), but seeing how many shorts there were on the loom, it's not surprising.
I just hope that all the sensors are okay.
After all this, I'm considering purchasing the OBD leads/convertor setup for my laptop (and to learn how to use it).
The old addage applies ..... if you want a good job doing, do it yourself.  
Many thanks to everyone so far, and to the this site for the invaluable information.
Will keep you posted., honest !
Brad
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #34 on: Jul 14th, 2009, 11:30pm »

on Jul 1st, 2009, 10:51pm, Brad wrote:

on Jul 1st, 2009, 11:21pm, Highlander wrote:

Based on what diagnosis?? Sounds like they're guessing to me

If they keep replacing expensive parts sooner or later it works but its your pocket that takes the hit, i wonder how many "good" parts have been changed.

New mechanic time I think Wink  

or learn to do it yourself, at least if you do it wrong you know you've done it wrong! Smiley
IP Logged

pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #35 on: Jul 15th, 2009, 8:55am »

on Jul 14th, 2009, 10:27pm, Brad wrote:
Hi everyone.
Sorry for taking so long to update this thread but I've been busy again.
The latest is that after both fuseboxes were replaced and it broke down again, was that I bought 2 new coil packs, a new set of ignition leads and a set of plugs.  I had the same mechanic replace these parts for £20.  Trouble was that the car was no different afterwards.
I decided to have a look and wthin 10 minutes found that the Fuel Shut-Off loom was totally b****red (as several contributors had already pointed out).  The insulation had broken down in many places and in 3 places bare wires were shorting on the engine block while several bare wires were shorting each other.  All the insulation was just powder.  I didn't bother with looking at the connections to the coil packs.  I just ordered a new Fuel Shut-Off loom, just waiting for it to arrive.  It's great to see this site has a very good article upon how to replace the loom.
I am still mad with the mechanic because I asked 3 times for him to check the wiring loom.  He also stated that he did an OBD on the car but said that there were too many errors to list (no print-out then), but seeing how many shorts there were on the loom, it's not surprising.
I just hope that all the sensors are okay.
After all this, I'm considering purchasing the OBD leads/convertor setup for my laptop (and to learn how to use it).
The old addage applies ..... if you want a good job doing, do it yourself.  
Many thanks to everyone so far, and to the this site for the invaluable information.
Will keep you posted., honest !
Brad

You only need this site and a good set of spanners good health and a jack, you have everything you need then.... Grin

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Brad

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #36 on: Jul 15th, 2009, 11:22am »

on Jul 14th, 2009, 11:30pm, Highlander wrote:

i wonder how many "good" parts have been changed.

I can say with confidence that there was NO need for them to have changed the main fusebox as there was only a few slightly burnt contacts on the fuse side, which they could have cleaned up with emery cloth, but it still cost me an extra £150.  I have no problem with the aux fusebox, it looked like it had been hit by a lightning bolt (I may post pics of this).
The coil packs were in very good condition and I tested them out, still okay.  Plugs were okay.

It is patently obvious that the Fuel Shut-Off loom is totally b****red and I'll fit a new one when it arrives.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #37 on: Jul 15th, 2009, 11:36am »

Its just sad that you seem to have spent so much trying to get the " mechanics" to fix it.

There really is a WEALTH of experience and information on here and the main site.  
Some one usually knows how to fix it or has a very good idea.

Keep us posted, and good LUCK.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #38 on: Jul 15th, 2009, 12:14pm »

I assume it's the same with the 2.0 as the 2.3 with regard the 2 plugs mentioned here that are difficult to fit:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/dohcloom.htm

With the 2.3 it's easier to connect them with the oil filter off.
Not that bad with the one near the filter (CKP) anyway, but the single wire one (oil pressure) is the hardest. I’d recommend cutting the wire on the old loom and making a temporary connection to the new plug until you do an oil change. If you tape the two wires together you should be able to pull it through from below.

IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Brad

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #39 on: Jul 16th, 2009, 12:03pm »

Any idea if I can fit the Fuel Shut-Off loom without going underneath the car?  can I fit it completely from under the bonnet?

Brad
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.