Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 2:31pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Noisy 12 valve turns into a different problem »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Noisy 12 valve turns into a different problem
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Noisy 12 valve turns into a different problem  (Read 894 times)
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

Noisy 12 valve turns into a different problem
« on: Jul 6th, 2009, 10:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Folks, at Harewood my 12 valve was a little noisy/tappety and I said that I was going to try to get it sorted. Last week took it in to a friends garage in Wakefield and they whizzed of the rocker cover and we identified that the rattle was coming from the rear of the right hand bank and that there was a fair amount of play in the last hydraulic adjuster.  

So today the car was in to have it replaced, a heads off job. Everything went well and the job was done in about four hours and was back together and ready to start. Which it did. However the new follower did not pump up, just like the previous one and was just as noisy. First thought was that the 5/30 was a bit to thin, so we swapped that for 10/40.  

No better. Had a chat with Gozz as he runs a selection of 12 valves to see if he had any ideas. One suggestion was oil starvation but it only seemed to be the one adjuster.  

Anyhoo I took it for a short drive to see if it was as noisy under load, which the previous follower wasn't.

Got about half a mile and the engine stopped and oil light came on (which it would if the engine stopped). Engine will turn over but absolutely no sign of catching, oil light goes out whilst turning no strange or unfortunate sounds but absolutely nothing happens.

Richards going to spend some more time looking at it tomorrow and we wonder if the oil pump and distributor share a common drive?

As a separate thought anybody have a problem with the mesh on the pipe in the sump getting clogged, or similar oil flow situations?

Other bright ideas welcome  
 Huh
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: Noisy 12 valve turns into a different problem
« Reply #1 on: Jul 6th, 2009, 10:57pm »

Geoff Fig 72

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/engines/12v/V612VDismantle.pdf
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 6th, 2009, 11:21pm »

Thanks Stuart.  Wink
IP Logged

Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 7th, 2009, 7:07am »

If you are getting oil to ALL the others and it is only the one that is causing the problem that we heard, then I would have thought that it was an internal blockage on one of the oil ways. I presume you did follow the  procedure for fitting of the new tappet follower.  

The engine not starting I would have thought was coincidence or connected with the fact that the distributor has been off.. maybe the module is failing or a wire has broken on the LT side of the system .. with it being the "old" system its easy enough to check it.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 7th, 2009, 8:10am »

Dave,

The engine started and ran, but with a similar level of tappet noise.  

Checking the electrical side of things today.

Will report back with any developments

Geoff
IP Logged

martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 7th, 2009, 8:41am »

seen all sorts of oil starvation problems with the old 12v in the past, oil strainer, galleries in the heads, rocker shafts ect,
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jul 7th, 2009, 5:09pm »

Afternoon folks latest report as follows.

Last night it died at the side of the road, one minute running relatively smoothly with a bit of tappet noise next minute everything went quiet it stopped and would not restart. Parked it up and left it.  

This morning it started first turn of the key and no tappet noise whatever, ran smoothly for about ten or fifteen minutes then the tappet noise came back and got progressively louder as it warmed up.

Electrics appear OK however it has just done its getting louder then cutting out performance again. Will turn over but will not start, oil light remains lit, no strange or unpleasant noises when turning over.

Is there some kind of fuel pressure/injection cut out that is linked to oil pressure on the 12 valve, apparently Jags used to have something which was to stop the engines trashing themselves if the oil pressure dropped below a certain point?

Looking at oil pressure side of things what are the symptoms of gradual oil pump failure, is there an oil pressure release valve and for Martin, would a strainer problem go away and come back?

IP Logged

Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 9th, 2009, 12:22am »

Geoff, the EARLY version of the 12v as fitted to the pre facelift granadas had a safety system called "Oil Alert" which shut off the ignition in the event of oil pressure failure. As the years progressed & distribitors were changed this function was fazed out ( god knows why). As far as im aware it never made it to the 91 >facelift models, so doubt the system is fitted to your car...But you never know. Good luck m8. Keep us posted...Craig  Smiley
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.