Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 2nd, 2024, 4:17pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« No Headlights »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   No Headlights
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: No Headlights  (Read 1199 times)
tonyboy

black2.924Vcoss ( No More )

Tony+Redden   Tony+Redden
View Profile WWW Email

No Headlights
« on: Jul 20th, 2009, 2:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello. Still having probs with my headlights ( Mainbeam )Checked everything i can think of, Multiplug on correct, dashboard switch swapped over, fuses, relays, continuity. Today i tried a direct link between the fuse No 10 to the headlight, and headlight came on when the steering column switch was off and went out when i put it on for mainbeam and off when flashed the mainbeam and came on again when turned the mainbeam off. Could it be the switch on the steering column  Huh or any other suggestions. Got to get it fixed cos my MOT is in August. HELP!!!!
IP Logged

I think i'm going, erm what do you call it..... Senial.... Huh
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: No Headlights
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20th, 2009, 3:14pm »

Hi Tony,

pm me your address and i'll send you another stalk/switch to try
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

tonyboy

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20th, 2009, 4:12pm »

PM Sent Cheers
IP Logged

tonyboy

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 22nd, 2009, 12:40pm »

Highlander Iv'e fixed my headlight problem PM sent
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 22nd, 2009, 8:25pm »

Tony. It may help others if you share the 'fix' please.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
tonyboy

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 22nd, 2009, 10:28pm »

on Jul 22nd, 2009, 8:25pm, Simmo wrote:
Tony. It may help others if you share the 'fix' please.

It's a long story. When i first got my scorp i was told that the lights didn't work and he had it tested by a mechanic and he said that it wanted a new relay. I changed the relay and it wasn't that. Had a auto electrician look at it he told me it was the fuse box. So i bought a fuse box off ebay for £60 off someone who deals with scorpio's in London, Changed the fuse box over and still the same problem. Then i found this site and started asking questions. Every one was very helpfull and gave me loads of advice, Like checking burnt switches, wireing looms continuity making sure the multi plug was on properly, ( a common cause for funny electrical problems ) All seemed to check out ok, Woj did tell me that because i changed the fuse box for another one dosn't mean to say that this box was ok. I had dissmissed the fuse box as i just bought this one for £60 and i was deffinately sure that wasn't the problem cos i didn't think some one would sell me one for that price and not checked it first  Angry. Anyway i left it for a few weeks and tried to sort it again. I thought it was the stalk / switch. Highlander offered me a spare he had, While i was waiting for the switch i thought i would do some more testing, starting from the switch and work my way down to the light. Checked the green wire going to the stalk to see if there was power to the stalk switch, ok,Checked power from stalk switch to fuse 10 and 11 Green/Yellow checked ok. Checked continuity between multi plug on the fuse box side to the socket at the headlight end that checked ok. Put a bridge between fuse 10 and th Violet/black wire at the multiplug and tried the flasher and hey presto it worked. Tried the same from fuse 11 and the Violet/orange and that worked too, so what iv'e done as a temporary measure is to put a fused bridge from the fuses to the wires ( after the multi plug ) untill i get a proper good fuse box.
Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........
Embarassed.  By the way i did check the fuses and bulbs first ...  Smiley Now  iv'e got to sort out my fog lights and the washer pump. Probably the same cause a dodgy £60 fuse box.......
IP Logged

tonyboy

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 23rd, 2009, 8:11am »

on Jul 20th, 2009, 2:30pm, tonyboy wrote:
Today i tried a direct link between the fuse No 10 to the headlight, and headlight came on when the steering column switch was off and went out when i put it on for mainbeam and off when flashed the mainbeam and came on again when turned the mainbeam off.

Found out what the problem was there. I was putting the bridge between the fuse box and the headlight, Whilst the multi plug was off. Put it back on and the switching was ok. That's what made me think it was the stalk switch.
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 23rd, 2009, 8:44am »

Tony, Thank you for that. It is only by hearing the results of such exhaustive checks that we all learn.  Good luck . Mike. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 23rd, 2009, 9:54am »

on Jul 22nd, 2009, 10:28pm, tonyboy wrote:
Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........ Woj you was right........
Embarassed.

It had to happen sometime Grin
IP Logged

tonyboy

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 23rd, 2009, 10:37am »

Done my fog lights, same prob so put a fused bridge in, both wires violet/white F1........Now for my washer pump........
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 23rd, 2009, 10:44am »

Tony are you saying the switches/wiring checks out ok right to the multiplugs under the fusebox?

And then the large multiplug on top of the fusebox to the lights also checks out ok?

So its definitely a problem in the fusebox somewhere?

I know its not impossible but to get the exact same faults in TWO fuseboxes seems peculiar to me  Undecided
IP Logged

wojtekor

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 23rd, 2009, 12:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jul 23rd, 2009, 9:54am, Highlander wrote:

It had to happen sometime Grin

ROFL ROFL
IP Logged
Ivan Pevnitsky

Scorpio Ghia '96, 2.3, Auto

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jul 23rd, 2009, 12:10pm »

tonyboy, you can try fix the fusebox yourself. It's not hard to rebuild it (though requires valuable time). I have rebuilt my one (mostly cleaned the green oxide from copper plates).  

See an example here: http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/fusebox.htm

It's kinda constructor. So write down or place coppers in a correct order/orientation to assemble in a reverse
IP Logged
tonyboy

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Jul 23rd, 2009, 3:47pm »

on Jul 23rd, 2009, 10:44am, Highlander wrote:

I know its not impossible but to get the exact same faults in TWO fuseboxes seems peculiar to me  Undecided

Thats what i thought it does seem strange...
IP Logged

tonyboy

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 23rd, 2009, 3:57pm »

on Jul 23rd, 2009, 12:10pm, Ivan Pevnitsky wrote:
tonyboy, you can try fix the fusebox yourself.  

I tried to rebuild my old fuse box, after i put the new one in, which had the same problem. Took it apart cleaned it al up put it back together, but because it had the same problem when i put it back i thought i might have done it wrong. Perhaps there is a problem somewhere else. It seems to be between the actual fuse and the pins to the multiplug on the engine side.... Huh  
Strange
Iv'e looked at my washer pump and the wires from the pump don't seem to go to the fuse box, so that might be a different problem. I know it's not the switch cos i tried another one in ( unless that one is faulty ) Does anyone know where the wires go from the pump, i looked at the wireing diagram and it looks as if the yellow/black wire goes to a SHORTING CONNECTER , Does anyone know where that is. and the  white /black wire, not sure where that goes too. Any suggestions Plz.....
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.