Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 8:26am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« i was just about to... »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   i was just about to...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: i was just about to...  (Read 1059 times)
BENZA

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

i was just about to...
« on: Jul 27th, 2009, 3:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

...to sing a song how my scorpio made 1500 miles trip without any problems, but about 200 miles to go and rear wheel bearing gave up in the scary way, no warning noises just big bang and it felt like we were in wheel barrel. i think im gaving up - its for sale!
IP Logged
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

Re: i was just about to...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27th, 2009, 3:59pm »

on Jul 27th, 2009, 3:03pm, BENZA wrote:
...to sing a song how my scorpio made 1500 miles trip without any problems, but about 200 miles to go and rear wheel bearing gave up in the scary way, no warning noises just big bang and it felt like we were in wheel barrel. i think im gaving up - its for sale!

Are you kidding? Wheel bearing kit is a few tenners and it's not even too hard to do yourself. You could even fit the whole hub+bearing there and do it in no time (+ the effort removing the brake caliper bracket, that is a nasty one I guarantee).

Mine was completely silent, but obvious as the wheel felt loose around the axle.

About trips: I blew my self levelling shockers the first 50 metres of a 800km trip between Munich and Rostock. As a bonus there was the first snow in Germany that very day...
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 27th, 2009, 4:28pm »

I had a wheel bearing fail last week - no warning, just a bang followed by a grinding noise. Fortunately had a spare in the shed, swapped it out in about an hour.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Tekno

Tenho Ruohoranta

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: Jul 27th, 2009, 5:10pm »

Is it easy to change front bearing ? What tools I need?
My wheel has change frinction when I turn it (and no brake calipers even attached)
IP Logged

1998 Ford Scorpio Ultima Estate 2.3i 16V
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27th, 2009, 5:34pm »

on Jul 27th, 2009, 5:10pm, Tekno wrote:
Is it easy to change front bearing ? What tools I need?
My wheel has change frinction when I turn it (and no brake calipers even attached)

Everybody says you should swap the whole hub and all because you will snap the abs sensors (bet they are more than a 2nd hand hub where you take your chances).
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 27th, 2009, 5:44pm »

[quote author=tlundkvi link=board=Problems;num=1248703416;start=0#4 date=07/27/09 at 17:34:25]

Everybody says you should swap the whole hub and all because you will snap the abs sensors (bet they are more than a 2nd hand hub where you take your chances).[/q
Without doubt that is by far the most economical way.
       GOZZ
IP Logged
Tekno

Tenho Ruohoranta

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: Jul 27th, 2009, 7:28pm »

What does a hub cost? Is mondeos hub different?
IP Logged

1998 Ford Scorpio Ultima Estate 2.3i 16V
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 27th, 2009, 8:17pm »

on Jul 27th, 2009, 7:28pm, Tekno wrote:
What does a hub cost? Is mondeos hub different?

Tekno, there is a scorpio estate on nettivaraosa.com (in Finland) for breaking, check it out. Mondeo hubs can't be used, I'm pretty sure.

http://www.nettivaraosa.com/822043
IP Logged
BENZA

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jul 27th, 2009, 10:12pm »

on Jul 27th, 2009, 3:59pm, tlundkvi wrote:

Are you kidding? Wheel bearing kit is a few tenners and it's not even too hard to do yourself. You could even fit the whole hub+bearing there and do it in no time (+ the effort removing the brake caliper bracket, that is a nasty one I guarantee).

Mine was completely silent, but obvious as the wheel felt loose around the axle.

About trips: I blew my self levelling shockers the first 50 metres of a 800km trip between Munich and Rostock. As a bonus there was the first snow in Germany that very day...

probably bearing would be last thing for a while but suppose next will go soon aswell. Took wheel off and would need much better tools to fight rusted bolts....It is good cars once they all sorted, as it showed 1300 miles  went smooth, but im going back were i belong ...that would be - bmw e23.
IP Logged
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jul 29th, 2009, 4:12pm »

It ofcourse depends a lot of the value of the car and what has been done to it, and other known upcoming problems. In UK the car seems to be very little appreciated, and even slightest problem fixed doubles investment - for yourself - not necessarily for the buyer. As long as it's not the engine or gearbox servicing is pretty cheap though in the Scorpio's defence.
IP Logged
macw

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Oct 4th, 2009, 6:13pm »

on Jul 27th, 2009, 3:59pm, tlundkvi wrote:

I was just wondering how easily the complete hub assembly comes off. I have a 12V (dead engine) I am scrapping and I am wondering whether it's worth trying to remove it's 70Kmiles  hub  assembly to replace my 140k 2.3's which has a failed bearing. The problem may be lack of tools, I don't have a puller handy.
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 4th, 2009, 10:59pm »

macw.
If you remove the hub complete with carrier a puller should not be needed,just a tap or two to free the driveshaft splines.After fitment the big nut needs torqueing to 200 lb/ft.
   GOZZ.
IP Logged
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 5th, 2009, 12:02am »

Agree

That 200ft/lb basically means "FT"  Grin with a really good air gun or a good breaker bar with a scaffold pole over the end and jump on it lol  Wink
HTH Dave

IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
macw

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Oct 5th, 2009, 11:20am »

Thanks Dave and Gozz. I'll see if I can find a big spanner and give it a go when the rain stops.
IP Logged
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 5th, 2009, 2:37pm »

That's the spirit, don't let it beat you down  Wink

I came close to getting shot of my Cossie Estate recently, but basically the private plate saved it, cos I can't transfer it until it's MOT'd !!

Looks like I'll be doing the welding when my garage is finished then once its done I'll be keeping the car.

Will fit a 2.3 diff while the rear subframe is out for better acceleration  Grin

Regards Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.