Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 5:21am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Losing coolant!!! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Losing coolant!!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Losing coolant!!!  (Read 1296 times)
DagenhamGeoff

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Losing coolant!!!
« on: Aug 6th, 2009, 12:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi folks, lonbg time since I`ve had to use the help you guys give. Now for the problem, my brother in law has a 2.9 12v, recently he said his coolant (?) light came on, found he had no coolant in expansion tank.
Today he had trouble starting the car but eventually got it started and parked it outside my house so that I could have a look whilst he goes to work.
First thing i did was add coolant, but as soon as I was pouring it in it was dfisappaering...the tank would not fill, there are no leaks ANYWHERE, the temp gauge stays at normal operating temperature so now I`m totally stumped. I`ve looked on here for answers but to be honest not sure where to start looking. I have noticed the expansion tank gets EXTREMELY hot as does the hose leading to the lump but the bigger hose underneath stays cool and flexible.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Geoff
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: Losing coolant!!!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 6th, 2009, 12:13pm »

Keep filling it, it'll come out somewhere Smiley

Either into the sump or down the exhaust would be my first guesses, possibly into the gearbox oil?  

the autobox cooler pipes run through the radiator, could be a leak in there somewhere?

check the engine and gearbox oil and the exhaust when it starts up

p.s. check the passenger side footwell carpet in case you have a leaking heater matrix inside
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Aug 6th, 2009, 12:52pm »

I would not fill coolant just like that unless 100% sure what stuff is already inside. To determine the shortage I filled with water and avoided excessive driving until coolant was changed. Red, yellow and green/blue coolant are incompatible and should never be mixed. Fill capacity is 8.5 litres or so. How much was poured in? I had a shortage of quite a few litres once, made the heating stop working now and then, I had it flushed and filled with new coolant.
IP Logged
DagenhamGeoff

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 6th, 2009, 2:20pm »

Wow how fast were your replies..I only poured in approx 2 litres, as for previous coolant, the foolish brother in law used your normal everyday tap water.thanks for replies guys, not sure I wanna flush the system myself, mainly cos I`ve no idea how, roughly how much would a garage charge.roughly..my Scorpio is making him jealous as the only trouble I ave is rusty wheel arches lol
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 6th, 2009, 2:34pm »

If its only a small amount you're losing while running Geoff it may be the valve cap on top of the tank itself, it can allow water/vapor to escape.

One of the small pipes coming out of the side of the coolant tank just drops down the side of the engine bay as an overflow/pressure release.

pull it up and stick the end into a smal bottle then drive around and see if theres any water in it
IP Logged

DagenhamGeoff

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Aug 6th, 2009, 2:41pm »

It`s the whole lot, as fast as I`m filling the tank it just disappears lol.where the hell can it go, there`s not a drop on the floor anywhere....totally puzzled.maybe there`s a sponge soaking it up somewhere lol
IP Logged
DagenhamGeoff

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Aug 6th, 2009, 2:47pm »

One thing i did notice whilst filling the tank was the small hose that leads to the engine was moving as if the coolant was flowing through it.into the engineHuh
IP Logged
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Aug 6th, 2009, 2:53pm »

on Aug 6th, 2009, 2:20pm, DagenhamGeoff wrote:
Wow how fast were your replies..I only poured in approx 2 litres, as for previous coolant, the foolish brother in law used your normal everyday tap water.thanks for replies guys, not sure I wanna flush the system myself, mainly cos I`ve no idea how, roughly how much would a garage charge.roughly..my Scorpio is making him jealous as the only trouble I ave is rusty wheel arches lol

It's a 30 minute job if you want it done at a workshop. The coolant also protects from heat, the higher the concentrate, the bigger is the gap between freeze and boiling point.
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 6th, 2009, 2:58pm »

on Aug 6th, 2009, 2:47pm, DagenhamGeoff wrote:
One thing i did notice whilst filling the tank was the small hose that leads to the engine was moving as if the coolant was flowing through it.into the engineHuh

it should be going into the engine, just as long as its going into the right bits of the engine Smiley

have you checked the oils for water?
IP Logged

DagenhamGeoff

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Aug 6th, 2009, 3:21pm »

Yeah the oil`s been checked as has the atf all fine but thanks for the heads up
IP Logged
DagenhamGeoff

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Aug 6th, 2009, 4:22pm »

Ok, well I poured in more coolant and guess where it is flowing to....the passenger footwell is soaked, didn`t notice before as he had loads of stuff there.so I now presume it must be the heater matrix as some kind gent stated on here.would this be correct?........also, again roughly how much/long would this take/cost...many thanks you guys are ace!!!
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Aug 6th, 2009, 4:34pm »

As Stuart (Highlander) predicted it looks like the heater matrix. The details about replacement are HERE. This is a significant job and not one to be undertaken lightly!!. I'm sure others will offer advice and guidance now the fault has been identified. Sad
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
DagenhamGeoff

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Aug 6th, 2009, 5:09pm »

Thanks for the link, just read it..wooo thats way to much for me to do lol ok so how about using some kind of sealer....like radweld etc.he`s scrapping the car in a few months, only concern there is it`s a V6 so not sure this approach would work at all any advice on that would be great.

Secondly, where the hell can he get a new matrix from, looked on flea bay but not a thing...sorry for being dumb and thanks for all help recieved.
IP Logged
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Aug 6th, 2009, 6:23pm »

on Aug 6th, 2009, 5:09pm, DagenhamGeoff wrote:
Thanks for the link, just read it..wooo thats way to much for me to do lol ok so how about using some kind of sealer....like radweld etc.he`s scrapping the car in a few months, only concern there is it`s a V6 so not sure this approach would work at all any advice on that would be great.

Secondly, where the hell can he get a new matrix from, looked on flea bay but not a thing...sorry for being dumb and thanks for all help recieved.

It looks like the leak is way to big to stop it with anything. I used a leak stopper, but that was less than a deciliter per week. Quick and dirty fix, probably very unsafe too, would be to bypass the heater matrix, but that works only until the winter Smiley

Some say a granada heater matrix could fit somehow, we once sourced a polish dealer who sold new ones for like £20. But the labour for min. a days work will be quite a lot.
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Aug 6th, 2009, 7:46pm »

Geoff,

If you  need it running again quickly you can bypass the matrix by disconnecting the two heater hoses from inside the engine bay where they go in through the bulkhead and join them together with a bit of pipe and a couple of jubilee clips..

You'll have no heat from the heater but you'll be able to drive it again.

Sorry missed the post above!! Smiley
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Aug 6th, 2009, 9:16pm »

The 'by-pass' method seems the best if he's intending to scrap it. Be sure he offers it on here if possible to give the lads a chance to aquire any bits or even the whole car. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
DagenhamGeoff

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Aug 9th, 2009, 2:22pm »

Thanks for that, only problem is now I have no idea where to look for the 2 hoses, I`ve looked on here but only states a 2.3 and not a 2.9 12v so if any one could point me in the right direction and appreciate it
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Aug 9th, 2009, 3:12pm »

It’ll be in the same position on the bulkhead.
Go to the bottom of the page that Simmo posted:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/matrix.htm

Click on the drawing labelled 2.9 12V for the position in relation to the engine.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Tekno

Tenho Ruohoranta

View Profile WWW

« Reply #18 on: Aug 11th, 2009, 5:17pm »

Hello, does anyone know exact price of Heater Matrix for Scorpio with automatic climate control ?
IP Logged

1998 Ford Scorpio Ultima Estate 2.3i 16V
craigeddie1

Email

« Reply #19 on: Apr 3rd, 2010, 7:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi guys, Not sure if  its resolved or has been mentioned but on the right of the block tucked down under you may find a core plug is kind of gaping or has pushed.If you restop this plug you may find the leak will stop completely.I luckily found my plug lying on the ground under the car.Give that a look take a wee torch.Craig
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.