Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 8:21am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Power Steering Leak »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Power Steering Leak
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Power Steering Leak  (Read 741 times)
Technology2005

Scorpio 2.0 Ultima x 2

View Profile

Power Steering Leak
« on: Oct 22nd, 2009, 5:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

For the past couple of weeks the other half's Scorpio has had a leak in the power steering which was getting worse. I thought it was the usual suspect of the pipe connected to the bottom of the reservoir and I was almost right....

...almost....  @

I came to move the car today and it decided to have an "accident" and empty the contents of the power steering onto the road!

A quick inspection and it looks to me like the pipe from the reservoir to the oil cooler has come off and is now sitting on the valance in front of the radiator  Sad

It's getting recovered next week but just wondering if I'm looking at just a pipe or is it likely the oil cooler/pipe connection has rotted and therefore I'll need a new oil cooler too?  

David
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Power Steering Leak
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22nd, 2009, 6:05pm »

Either you are confused or I am. . I think the pipe you are refering to is a transmission oil cooler and the joints of those are known to be a weak point. If you are loosing oil from the power steering reservoir then, in the absence of any obvious leak from the pipe below the reservoir, the most likely place for the fluid is in the gaiters at the end of the rack. They may be swollen and if so you should be able to 'feel' the fluid in them by sqeezing the gaiter(s).

SEE CORRECTION  BELOW. Embarassed
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Technology2005

Scorpio 2.0 Ultima x 2

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 22nd, 2009, 6:42pm »

on Oct 22nd, 2009, 6:05pm, Simmo wrote:
Either you are confused or I am. The power steering system does not go anywhere near the rad and does not have any connection to a 'cooler'. I think the pipe you are refering to is a transmission oil cooler and the joints of those are known to be a weak point. If you are loosing oil from the power steering reservoir then, in the absence of any obvious leak from the pipe below the reservoir, the most likely place for the fluid is in the gaiters at the end of the rack. They may be swollen and if so you should be able to 'feel' the fluid in them by sqeezing the gaiter(s).

Hmmm, well I'm only going on what I saw plus the description on this page http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/steering/PASDescript.pdf which states:

"All variants include a fluid cooler that is mounted in front of the radiator"

The pipe looks like it may have been connected at "1" on the bottom diagram on this page  http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/steering/PASFluidCoolr.pdf about the PAS Fluid Cooler...as far as I can tell of course.

All I know is the leak was from the power steering as it's on the deck and the reservoir emptied itself very suddenly Grin

David
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 22nd, 2009, 9:19pm »

David, I have to say that going on the PDF you have put up I appear to be the one confused. I can only say in the process of changing two racks I have never realised that the 'cooling' component is there as it does not feature in the removal/replacement procedure. Given the detail you have provided it seems you are quite correct in your assumption that a joint in that location has failed. My apologies. Who said " You are never too old to learn"!!. Embarassed
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Technology2005

Scorpio 2.0 Ultima x 2

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 22nd, 2009, 11:24pm »

No problem at all, you are far more experienced in these things than me. I haven't worked on cars much since my last Rover SD1 Wink

Just hope it's just a pipe that needs replacing and not this fluid cooler as well.

David
IP Logged
joe-satch

joe satriani is the best guitarist in the world.

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Oct 25th, 2009, 7:28am »

SD1...very nice..not seen one for years...i was going to buy one..but i bought a mk2 granada estate. Smiley..happy days.
IP Logged
Technology2005

Scorpio 2.0 Ultima x 2

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 25th, 2009, 10:26am »

I loved the SD1 but being on the tall side I found the headroom to be surprisingly restrictive despite the size of the car! I had more headroom in my Mini Clubman than in the SD1  ROFL

David
IP Logged
joe-satch

joe satriani is the best guitarist in the world.

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Oct 25th, 2009, 11:37am »

Shocked Shocked.. Smiley
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 25th, 2009, 5:55pm »

David.
The steering cooler is only a piece of tube bent into a U,the hoses push onto the ends,and have 'claws' to hold them on.The tube does corrode badly.
            GOZZ.
IP Logged
Technology2005

Scorpio 2.0 Ultima x 2

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Oct 25th, 2009, 7:26pm »

on Oct 25th, 2009, 5:55pm, gozz wrote:
David.
The steering cooler is only a piece of tube bent into a U,the hoses push onto the ends,and have 'claws' to hold them on.The tube does corrode badly.
                                               GOZZ.

Cheers Gozz, I thought it might be something like that.

Is the tube available from FMD still as the chap who is sorting it for me will most likely need one by the sounds of things.

David
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.