Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 7th, 2024, 9:27pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Auto Box Problem & Other Minor Issues »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Auto Box Problem & Other Minor Issues
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Auto Box Problem & Other Minor Issues  (Read 883 times)
n880eua

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Auto Box Problem & Other Minor Issues
« on: Nov 18th, 2009, 6:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am the proud owner of a 1996 2.9 V6 12V Ultima Saloon. I bought it for a song to replace my old and jaded 800.

However I have one very serious issue with it. For some reason the gearbox seems slow. I know the car is heavy but my 820 was an auto and that was a rocket compeared to my Scorpio.  

It goes up and down the gearbox fine but when you push the pedal to the floor you can feel the kickdown notch but the gearbox does not change down and pick up. If anything it changes down one gear and picks up slightly. It does this hot or cold.

Now I have looked through the hand book and it says about a green relay in the glovebox fusebox to do with speed.  But there is only a yellow one and then a blank and then a blue one. But there is a socket there with 5 pins which is empty.  

The gearbox is fine in forward and reverse and is silient and smooth excpet for the lack of kick down.

Any help would be great. Other issues I have with the car have been sorted by a great ebay seller who deals with Scorpio parts but the gearbox fault is a mystery to me.
IP Logged
tootman318

Leicester City Forever

View Profile Email

Re: Auto Box Problem & Other Minor Issues
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18th, 2009, 6:23pm »

could be kickdown relay fault. not sure of colour  of relay
IP Logged

Leicester City FC Forever!!!!!
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18th, 2009, 6:25pm »

The 12v uses a different gearbox control system to all other scorpios.  Your 12v has an external kickdown solenoid on the side of the box, the most likely culprit. It could be faulty or need adjustment.  Failing that, there is a switch on the throttle cable which detects full throttle, maybe the cable adjustment or a duff switch.  Also check the wiring and plugs to these components, maybe even a fuse.  If all else is correct with the gearchanges I doubt it is a transmission fault, most likely one of the above.

HTH Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
n880eua

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18th, 2009, 6:55pm »

Thanks people.

I suppose in the short term I could just continue to use the gearbox like a manuel with no clutch as thats what I have to do to overtake.

The person I have been speaking to off Ebay seems to think the 12v is a little slow. Because I said with the car at 50mph it takes 10 secounds to get to 70mph with my foot on the floor.

Thats what leads me to suspect an issue with it.

Has anybody got any pictures or diagrams to invistigate the above and abubody know if I should have a green relay in the glovebox or not.
IP Logged
tonyboy

black2.924Vcoss ( No More )

Tony+Redden   Tony+Redden
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 18th, 2009, 8:21pm »

Is there a kick down switch under the pedal, maybe thats sticking or the car mat is covering it......
IP Logged

I think i'm going, erm what do you call it..... Senial.... Huh
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18th, 2009, 8:23pm »

The green relay is for the cruise control where fitted. Not connected to the transmission.As Dave says,the operating switch for the kickdown solenoid is integrated in the accelerator cable,and is spring loaded to operate at full stretch of the cable.
                  GOZZ.

IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 19th, 2009, 7:42am »

The Kickdown switch on the 12v is on the side of the gear box read what dave 2302 says and he used to work on them He IS a gear box mechanic..... The soleniod might need adjusting Para 18 on this page and the subsequent pages might help you http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/autotrans/A4LDeV612V.pdf
Paragraph 48 tells you how to adjust it !
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Nov 19th, 2009, 8:23am »

I've had my 12valve for 4 years though it is only a Ghia.  However I seem to remember similar slugishness when I first got her and I believe that I solved the problem by re-adjusting the throtle cable.  It is easy to do thought I can't remember exactly how  Roll Eyes, but the instructions are in the Site.  

Check that there is nothing obstructing the operation of the accelorator pedal as I believe the kickdown is situated under the pedal unlike the 24valve.

I must say that my 12 valve goes like a rocket  Wink.  It really is fast and very responsive, especially from a standing start (no Traction Control fitted?) and the kickdown is excellent  Grin  

Just been out to check the kickdown and it is under the accelorater.  I also discovered that the Bty. is flat Angry.  Not to worry I still love that car Cool
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 19th, 2009, 8:49am »

At the risk of appearing argumentative,as some may know I have,and still do,operate many 12v funeral hearses and limousines.Without exception they have the kickdown switch bolted to the side of the intake plenum,the accelerator cable operates this switch at full throttle since it runs through the switch.On the left side of the transmission is a solenoid with a thin cable attached to the kickdown lever.
This solenoid is energised by the kickdown switch at full throttle.
The foregoing is more or less what Dave said,and he is of course,quite correct.
         GOZZ.
IP Logged
n880eua

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Nov 19th, 2009, 8:51am »

Thanks people.

Well the car is going in for a fresh MOT tommrow so got a service to do on it first and a thermostat to change as its stuck open.

How easy is it to test the switch and replace the solonoid on the gearbox. I also have cruise control but no green relay in the glovebox and it works fine.
IP Logged
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Nov 19th, 2009, 9:28am »

Ooops  Embarassed.  Sorry Goz and Dave.  I stand corrected.  I was completely wrong and hope that I have not misled anybody.  Your prompt response Goz should have seen to that, for which I am also gratefull.

Mike  Smiley
IP Logged
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Nov 19th, 2009, 9:47am »

Huh On the day I atain "Full Member" status I make my biggest gaff  Embarassed.  Took me back to the day I started work at Rose Forgrove Engineering in Gainsborough some 45 Years ago when I went to the stores for a "Glass Hammer".  Just goes to show that I ain't learnt much.

Ah well Keeeeeep Scorpying

Mike  Wink  Smiley  Smiley
IP Logged
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 19th, 2009, 11:54am »

Not to worry Mike we all drop the odd clanger  Wink

Yeah Gozz is spot on.  To test / adjust the switch, you need an assistant.  Un plug it at the plenum end of throttle cable, put a meter or test light across the terminals and get assistant, (preferably a scantily clad blonde)  Grin, to floor the throttle and hold it there.  The switch should light the lamp/show reading on meter.

Also you should see the switch slide closed, if it doesn't tighten the cable.  Once you look at it it should be obvious how it works.

It often goes un noticed as these boxes use the vacuum modulator to downshift and it's only at full throttle that they should shift down 2 gears depending of course upon road speed and load......As you say at 50mph it should drop to 2nd when you floor the throttle, and take off like a scalded moggy Smiley.

In my experience of this problem I always check the switch first, cos its easy, but I have found more often than not it's the solenoid on the side of the gearbox.
See the link from Snoopy above.

HTH Regards Dave

HTH Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.