Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 7th, 2024, 7:31am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Wouldn't you know it!! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Wouldn't you know it!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Wouldn't you know it!!  (Read 1204 times)
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

Wouldn't you know it!!
« on: Dec 3rd, 2009, 8:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just a couple of weeks before the MOT my ABS light has just come on.   A wee bit of history.   It came on about two months ago, and I cleaned the connections on the front under the wheel arches.   This put the light out until today.   In the past week it's been very cold up here in North Scotland, and the roads have been liberally gritted.   That coupled with on my route to work, there are road works that I cross twice a day.   The road works are pretty mucky with one section having a lot of small loose chippings, (aye very small, not surface dressing size).   This morning it was very heavy rain coupled with the last few days grit!   I tried to get the sensors out to clean them the last time, but certainly the front ones are solid.   I haven't really looked at the rear ones, except to note where they are.    
My question is;  How does one clean the front sensors whilst in place?   Do I have to remove the front hub?   Same question for the rear sensors.   Unfortunately this far North there are very few garages that have the OBD devices, except main dealers.   I have thought about buying the device that someone on here said he would prefer, costing £200.   My car is just about perfect in every other respect, and I'm told will go through an MOT with no problems.
Would anyone like to advise?

Thanks, Peter.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
tonyboy

black2.924Vcoss ( No More )

Tony+Redden   Tony+Redden
View Profile WWW Email

Re: Wouldn't you know it!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 3rd, 2009, 10:25am »

Does the abs light come on initially when you turn the ingnition on , then go out untill you you go about 100 yards then come back on, if so it will pass the MOT, as they don't drive the car. But if it stays on all the time you will have to get it sorted for the MOT. As you say it's probably all the wet and dirt causing your problem, There is a link somewhere about it, i'll have a look for it...........
Found it http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Problems;action= display;num=1251192477
IP Logged

I think i'm going, erm what do you call it..... Senial.... Huh
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 3rd, 2009, 1:12pm »

Looks like its staying on constantly, you can clean the front ones from the back of the hub without removing it.

Remember and clean the ring that the sensor reads from too as it could just as easily be that thats dirty
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 3rd, 2009, 4:45pm »

Thank you both for this advice.   I'm sure it's NOT over yet, however on the way home tonight through equally poor weather the light remained OFF!   Very strange.   It did stay on continuously this morning, and it stayed on when I put the ignition ON and then remained on when I drove the car.   However on starting it tonight, the light remained on after ignition on and the the initial start-up, but went out after about 200 yards.   This leads me to believe it could just be dirt somewhere.   Am I right in saying that the controller thingy is on the off-side front of the car half under the bonnet 'slam-panel' just to the near side of the headlight behind the bulbus piece of plastic beside the headlight when one opens the bonnet?   It's a sort of aluminium casing with a flat-ish bit of plastic bolted on in four places with torx screws?   The aluminium casing bit has a wire coming from the top of it going to the throttle control?   The plastic bit has a multi-plug sticking out of it from the rear?   If so this was a little bit 'claggy' inside with a hint of verdigris on the copper connectors, I cleaned this connection up when I got home.   If I have to undo those four torx screws to do the soldering repair, is it easy to seperate the casing and the plastic bit, or do they 'explode' apart leaving me to look for bits?    As you's can tell, I'm a bit of a 'berk' when it comes to modern cars, I'll stick to my Mk4 Zodiac in Malta when I want to do repairs!    But I do really love this car, and want to keep it!   Fortunately I've found a friendly garage locally that I know the owner of that happens to have OBD, and spoke to him on the off-chance today, he's happy to hook me up for checks he says!   So, if the worse comes to worse, I hope all is not lost.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 3rd, 2009, 7:34pm »

PJ, where abouts are you?  Im near Kyle of Lochalsh and can read it for you for a couple of beer tokens  Grin

Also don't forget that an OBD scanner won't read ABS  Wink

Regards Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 3rd, 2009, 8:10pm »

hi pj

sounds like you're talking about the cruise control module.

the abs controller is on the pump. it has 4 or 5 metal pipes coming from the pump.
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/abscontrollerrepair.htm

hth
IP Logged
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 4th, 2009, 7:21am »

I'm just East of Inverness, but good offer that I may take up in future!   My friendly garage said he could read ABS problems, and I have no reason to disbelieve him!    

Hi Scorpio-man.   Aye, it did occure to me that this would be the cruise control.   However I can't see anything om the pump or around about it that resembles this controller.   I did see that link picture and read about the problem, I'll just have to look harder!
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 4th, 2009, 8:57am »

PJD
The ABS unit is on the offside front wing in front of the coolant header tank if yours is petrol engined.If your car is 2.0 or 2.3 litre the module is bolted to the front of the ABS unit with four star headed screws,if it's a 24v engine the module is bolted underneath it with two torx screws,in this case you would need to unbolt the complete unit to access the screws.I think your confusion arose by searching for a separate unit from the main controller.
           GOZZ.
IP Logged
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 4th, 2009, 9:00am »

Peter, The controller in underneath the abs pump but before you go down that route, make sure the connections for the abs are clean. As Highlander says, you can clean the front sensors in situ. Remove the plastic covers from the rear of the hub, if you have them, many now do not, and clean the face of the sensor and the sensor ring  on all of the faces using wd40. Attempting to remove the sensor from the hub is generally futile as they rust in.  The rear sensors should come out relatively easy. When removed, you can clean the sensor ring through the hole or for better access you can loosen the four hub bolts and clean the ring that way.
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 4th, 2009, 9:41am »

Heres the ABS controller/pump

This is an 8v but they're all in the same place.

IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Dec 4th, 2009, 11:42am »

THIS article may help in addition to the one posted by Andrew.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 4th, 2009, 8:24pm »

You are all great, as before!   I feel another donation coming on!   I did realise where the pump is, but didn't realise that the blasted plastic bit looked so attached!   It is held by four sort of male torx screws, that look to be quite long if they screw into the Ali pump unit.   Gozz was right, I was looking for a seperate unit!   There is another unit bolted to the wing side quite close by, black plastic with the 'ford' Motorcraft logo embossed on it.   There is also two units lower down one brown and one black, I had a notion that these were the ones!   Aye, I have read that artical too Simmo, and that's why I think I can tackle the problem, but need to know exactly where everything is.
On a lighter note, it's the weekend, and I'm home with a 'Bottly', it's very cold outside, about -4 C.   So in with the multifuel stove on, and surrounded by my lovely wife and various animals!   All cars and Bikes happed-up from the cold!

Thaks again guys, and I'll let yous know what happens next.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
tootman318

Leicester City Forever

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 4th, 2009, 9:43pm »

on Dec 4th, 2009, 8:24pm, PJDavis wrote:
You are all great, as before!   I feel another donation coming on!   I did realise where the pump is, but didn't realise that the blasted plastic bit looked so attached!   It is held by four sort of male torx screws, that look to be quite long if they screw into the Ali pump unit.   Gozz was right, I was looking for a seperate unit!   There is another unit bolted to the wing side quite close by, black plastic with the 'ford' Motorcraft logo embossed on it.   There is also two units lower down one brown and one black, I had a notion that these were the ones!   Aye, I have read that artical too Simmo, and that's why I think I can tackle the problem, but need to know exactly where everything is.
On a lighter note, it's the weekend, and I'm home with a 'Bottly', it's very cold outside, about -4 C.   So in with the multifuel stove on, and surrounded by my lovely wife and various animals!   All cars and Bikes happed-up from the cold!

Thaks again guys, and I'll let yous know what happens next.

mr davis, the motorcraft unit is the edis. i think the brown and black things you refer are the loom connectors for the engine and box. keep warm my friend
IP Logged

Leicester City FC Forever!!!!!
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 8th, 2009, 8:33am »

Well, the car was up on the works ramp yesterday, and I popped the plastic bungs out from behind the hub on the front, and cleaned the splines and sensors.   They weren't too bad, the splines were fairly rust-free, and the sensors looked clean-ish.   There was a lot of loose dirt around the inside of the hub where the splines are, and I cleaned this off.   However, I also popped the rear calipers off, and took out the rear sensors and both were fairly 'claggy'!   Especially the near-side.   I patiently scraped the splines on the sensor rings with a thin screwdriver, and put it all back together.   All I now need do is clean the electrical connections at the main unit.   My ABS light has remained out so far, so here's hoping.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.