Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 12:22am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 2.3 Cracked inlet manifold and fuel cut off loom! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   2.3 Cracked inlet manifold and fuel cut off loom!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2.3 Cracked inlet manifold and fuel cut off loom!  (Read 2780 times)
Bruiser

View Profile

2.3 Cracked inlet manifold and fuel cut off loom!
« on: Dec 6th, 2009, 5:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi there,

I have found a leak on the inlet manifold near the thermostat housing (hairline crack) that sprays out when the engine is revved.

I was wondering if there is any kind of repair for this common problem like a special high temp adhesive? or araldite?

The badly cracked fuel cut off loom is soaked.
So I need to first fix the leak, then look at repairing/replacing the loom.  Don't think there's any point replacing the loom and it getting soaked and damaged.

Also any idea on cost of new loom and new inlet manifold?

Thanks for any advice
IP Logged
tootman318

Leicester City Forever

View Profile Email

Re: 2.3 Cracked inlet manifold and fuel cut off lo
« Reply #1 on: Dec 6th, 2009, 8:23pm »

they come up on ebay from time to time.
IP Logged

Leicester City FC Forever!!!!!
Kenboy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 7th, 2009, 8:19am »

Hi have a look at item number 150395471887 on Ebay, he claims its only 6 months old and is asking a buy it now price of £50 bargain if you can get it, 6 days to go, further more I have a repaired cut off loom that I am confident will work lastly a repair in the area you pointed out would be inappropriate its a no starter.
If you get fixed up with a replacement inlet manifold and you want the offer of the loom then it is yours just make a donation to this site, anyway good luck.

Kenboy
IP Logged
Bulgarien

Love to Scorpio and  Android

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 11th, 2009, 3:54pm »

If the problem is the "water inlet manifold", there is no easy way to fix it, replace to a new one.

Then you shall control all yours wires !

Wires dont like the hot steam.  

I have the same problem in my Scorpio 2,3 from 1996 (230.000 km), a tiny  littel crack and after that all my wires was broken .  

It took me two days to repair theme all!
IP Logged

Hear the difference! www.BeoWorld.co.uk.
ottopmh

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17th, 2009, 8:40pm »

Has anyone tried to repair a cracked inlet manifold? I'm asking again as there were no stories about people giving it a try.

I considered myself as lucky - till few days ago. I changed the thermostat about one month ago, there was nothing wrong with the old, but as I had no idea whether it had never been changed... When doing it a thought crossed my mind (like a whisper of wind) that as if there was nothing wrong and I touched it - what will break?

Now I have the answer, although I assume that it is more like a coincidence=D

I've always waited till the temp is in normal range before giving it hard time. That's what I do with all ca... engines. There was no overheating etc. so it's just so weak, I guess. Mine is 96 and has now 170 000km on the clock.

OK, to the business! I know a guy who is a professional plastic welder, obviously mostly focusing on bumpers which are more soft than a manifold. But could there be a chance to make it work? If no one has done it and unless a manifold in perfect condition walks my way I will then give it a try!
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 17th, 2009, 11:37pm »

There are plenty of old posts about inlet manifold repairs if you do a search  Smiley

I've done it & so have a few others using products like 'Quik steel' & 'JB Weld' etc. The last repair I did (crack on top) with Quik Steel (put inside & out) lasted really well & never leaked again. Unfortunately it developed another leak where it cracked in another place......along the bolt sleeve  Roll Eyes

There was a guy selling brand new ones (listed as 2.3 Transit manifolds) for £60 on Ebay about 4 months ago, so I bought one (as a few others on here did) & fitted that......So no more messing about trying to fix it again & no more messing about trying to get hold of a good second hand one....although I do have a good spare second hand one (old converted 2.3 Galaxy manifold) just in case  Wink

IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17th, 2009, 11:57pm »

ottopmh.
Baz on here recommended Milliput as a good repair agent,his Dad used it for mending everything.I bought some and used it on an old plastic manifold out of which the heater hose tail had blown.I drilled the manifold and tapped the brass hose tail,then pushed the thing back in with some Milliput and inserted two small screws.In all probabilities if you ground a groove into your cracks Milliput would do the job,it needs some thickness and is not intended to be used as a glue like Araldite.It is a two part epoxy resin which looks and feels like Plasticine,it is slow setting so it's easy to work,but it sets rock hard like stone and is waterproof and highly heat resistant,they now make it in black.If you look on the internet,several people supply it and it's not expensive.
           GOZZ.
IP Logged
ottopmh

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Dec 18th, 2009, 7:43am »

I wasn't patient enough with the search, apparentlySmiley

Thanks for the tips, I will try to dig some information about the chemicals mentioned here.

Does anyone know if Ford still sells inlet manifolds as spares? No need to tell me that if they do, it will cost €€€€€. But we have currently soooo many things going on, starting from buing a house, that I might end up doing it quickly & easily & expensively.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Dec 18th, 2009, 7:46am »

Try THIS site. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
ottopmh

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Dec 18th, 2009, 11:41am »

Santa did visit us already!

Haha, sometimes even I can get lucky.

There it is, brand new even with idle valve, lots of money though, 220e.

All it took was ONE hour (and the money).
IP Logged
Tekno

Tenho Ruohoranta

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: Dec 20th, 2009, 12:09am »

Nice to hear  Cheesy
IP Logged

1998 Ford Scorpio Ultima Estate 2.3i 16V
Bruiser

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Feb 28th, 2010, 6:49pm »

Hi guys, Update on my problems.

The cracked inlet manfold was repaired using QuickSteel, seems to be pretty solid stuff.  Also done a quick temporary repair on the loom in places and seems to be better, for now!

Inlet manifold has now developed another crack/leak and sprays out water when revved.  Losing large amounts of coolant now on a daily basis!

Also heater has now packed up (even when coolant is full) seems to be the matrix (commn fault on here right?) as I did a CC reset and one pipe is cold and the other hot.

I'm think the only real solution is to remove the whole inlet manifold/thermostat housing, clean and repair using the QuickSteel (£380 for new manifold!!).  
Is this advised or will I cause more problems?  
I remember reading a while ago that the nuts on the manofold are very delicate.

Obviously the matrix needs flusing aswell and the loom fixing.

Any help most appreciated,  

Cheers.

IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Mar 1st, 2010, 9:54am »

The bolts on the manifold aren't that delicate, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. The only thing is that the middle & rear bottom ones aren't bolts, they're torx ended studs with nuts on & the studs have to be removed as well.  
Also there is another bolt at the front outer part of the manifold (underneath) that secures it to a small bracket. Don't try & remove the bracket from the manifold as you will just spin the bolt sleeve in the manifold, best to remove the bracket where it is bolted to the block (near P/S pump bolts), leaving it still attached to the manifold  Wink

Apart from that, it is pretty straight forward....although you may want to fit new manifold to head gaskets to ensure a good air/water tight seal  Smiley
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Mar 1st, 2010, 1:49pm »

on Feb 28th, 2010, 6:49pm, Bruiser wrote:

I remember reading a while ago that the nuts on the manofold are very delicate.

It’s the inserts that you need to be careful of. The sensors are a tapered thread so don’t overtighten them use some sealant (I use ptfe tape). The brass stub for the outlet to the matrix can pull out, be careful getting the hose off.
Undoing the stat cover puts quite a twisting force on the housing, I suspect this is what often starts the cracking as the housing seems to get eaten into by the coolant and therefore gets weaker over time. Grease the stat bolts when you put them back so they don't rust in.
Also the steel insert that the manifold bolt passes through can rust & expand causing the stat housing to crack.  
The insert can be drawn out with a suitable bolt and spacers & the rust cleaned off & treated. It doesn’t need to be tight in the manifold when you put it back.

IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 1st, 2010, 8:36pm »

hi there

on ebay. good price for a new one!

hth
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.