Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 12:21am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« No Brakes »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   No Brakes
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: No Brakes  (Read 858 times)
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

No Brakes
« on: Dec 29th, 2009, 5:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Went out today driving along fine until i went to turn left into a sideroad  i put my foot on the brake to slow down from aprox 40mph  and the pedal went nearly to the floor there was some braking effort but very very little i missed the junction  i pressed the pedal a couple of times and it was the same  so i carried on slowly until i could pull in and then braked again and the pedal was back and the car was braking as normal again ? and was fine for the rest of the journey ?    

any ideas ?  if it had been a busy road or an emergency stop it could have been nasty
IP Logged
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Re: No Brakes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29th, 2009, 6:16pm »

The only times I have suffered apparent brake failure have been when the engine has cut out, as though I had turned off the ignition, but this has allways been accompanied by the dash lights illuminating and loss of power steening.  I use the word "apparent" because althouth it feels like complete loss of braking and steering this is not the case as the brakes are assisted by the Brake servo and the steering is assisted by the Power steering (hydraulic) system both of which do not work when the engine cuts out.  You can still brake by really standing on the pedal and you can still steer by using Muscle power.

Did the engine cut out and then start again or something?

Mike
IP Logged
tonyboy

black2.924Vcoss ( No More )

Tony+Redden   Tony+Redden
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29th, 2009, 6:22pm »

Could it be that you have an air lock in your brake pipes..... Have you had your pads or discs change lately......... Pumping the brake pedel may have moved the air bubble and so your brakes went back to normal ......
IP Logged

I think i'm going, erm what do you call it..... Senial.... Huh
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 29th, 2009, 6:55pm »

The engine never cut out and no warning lamps came on  . I havent replaced any of the brakes recently either so ?    

The pedal didnt go hard like it would without servo assistance the pedal just went 3/4 of its total travel then went firm as the pedal is normaly and it felt as if the front brakes wasnt working and just the rears were working slightly . The pedal didnt pump back up gradualy as it would with air in the system it just went back to how it normaly is ?

I am wondering if it could be an ABS block/pump fault  
Its a 97 2.3 auto Estate
IP Logged
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29th, 2009, 7:01pm »

Sad,  Sorry but I'm stumped Stixy.  Thankfully there are better braines than me so hang inthere.

Mike
IP Logged
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 29th, 2009, 7:06pm »

on Dec 29th, 2009, 7:01pm, Nunnspoet wrote:
Sad,  Sorry but I'm stumped Stixy.  Thankfully there are better braines than me so hang inthere.

Mike    

Thanks anyway  Wink

Its an odd one because all seems fine now but its the thought that it could do it again somwhere more important . i will FDS it tommorow to see if shows any faults
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 29th, 2009, 8:12pm »

Stixy.
It could be the master cylinder failing to recuperate.You haven't got a loose wheel bearing have you ? that can push the piston back on a wheel cylinder.
          GOZZ.
IP Logged
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Dec 29th, 2009, 8:38pm »

on Dec 29th, 2009, 8:12pm, gozz wrote:
Stixy.
It could be the master cylinder failing to recuperate.You haven't got a loose wheel bearing have you ? that can push the piston back on a wheel cylinder.
                                             GOZZ.

It wasnt like that  i have a Granada that does the brakes will pump back up again thanks anyway .
  The car has many many other faults but up until now the brakes have been fine .

On boxing day  (sat)  i got stuck on ice and there was quite a bit of wheelspinning to rock the car free  but when it was free it was fine  but i have heard before about ABS problems being caused by wheels rotating at different speeds ?  

IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Dec 30th, 2009, 1:48am »

Gozz may have a point in mentioning the master cylinder......but I'm thinking maybe a possible leak in the primary piston seal in the brake master cylinder  Undecided

I had a similar problem on my Mk1 Granada last year....brake pedal would sometimes travel too far, as though there was air in the brakes. Turned out to be a leaking primary piston seal in the master cylinder. A new seal kit sorted the problem  Smiley
IP Logged
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 30th, 2009, 11:15am »

I would go with the master cylinder as well .
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.