Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 4:16pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« ABS/TC Help needed »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   ABS/TC Help needed
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ABS/TC Help needed  (Read 1361 times)
Tenfut

White Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

ABS/TC Help needed
« on: Jan 6th, 2010, 6:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys

Left work at 5-30, went 100 yards then got stuck on some ice on a hill, switched off traction control but the car wouldnt move. Along came 2 helpful lorry drivers and helped me with a push for about another 100 yards to the top of the incline and away I went. Stopped at the main road and noticed the ABS/TC lights were on. Arrived home and switched off to open garage door, started engine again and lights still there, so failed the start up test. Have I done some damage or is there an easy fix, I somehow doubt it. I have checked fuses 46 & 47.

Thanks

Tony
IP Logged

Everything in moderation!!
Tenfut

White Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

Re: ABS/TC Help needed
« Reply #1 on: Jan 6th, 2010, 6:25pm »

Forgot to add 1996 24v Ultima

No access to OBD

Tony
IP Logged

PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 6th, 2010, 9:52pm »

I have had a similar problem, although I do not have traction control, and mine is a 2.3 Ultima.   When the Gal was pushing me out of the drive my near-side wheel was spinning, whilst off-side wheel stationery.   When I eventually got out of the drive (it's a long drive out in the country in the middle of knowhere) I noticed that the ABS light was on.   I drove the car for a couple of miles, and braked at one point to find that the ABS was definitely not working.   I also stopped the car, turned off ignition, and sat for two minutes.   When I fired the car up again I was disappointed to see the ABS light was still on however, I drove the car about 50 ft and the light went out!   Tested the ABS and it was working.   I remembered seeing on this forum something regarding spinning of wheels independently causing the ABS light to illuminate, I think this may have been the problem?
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 7th, 2010, 4:18pm »

Probably just ice /dirt on the rear sensors Tony, might be ok after a while in the garage.

Switching the traction control off will make it harder to get moving again but as with any heavy, front engined/rear wheel drive car, Scorpios are pretty hopeless in the ice.

Did you try pulling away in 2nd or with the Winter mode selected (same thing)?
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Tenfut

White Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 7th, 2010, 7:51pm »

Hi Stuart, Happy New Year to you and yours.

I would have to say this is the worst big Ford I have driven in snow/ice. Best was a Mark 1 3Ltr Granada Ghia, that thing would climb mountains, pity it was such a rust bucket.

Anyway back to last night I had the TC switched off and the snow button activated but it was hopeless. Interestingly enough my colleagues all managed the incline without problems. (Audi A6S - expected, Rover 75, Lexus IS200, Toyota people carrier)

After sitting pondering for a few hours I disconnected the battery for an hour, re-connected it and switched on the ignition and the ABS/TC lights still stayed on Cry Cry

This morning, fired up the engine and the lights were still on, set off for work and because my street has not seen any grit and is just packed ice, for the first few hundred yards I didnt do more than 10 MPH and the
lights wre still illuminated. Once I reached the main road I increased speed and as soon as I reached 20 MPH the lights went out Grin Grin

I dont know why, but who cares.

One happy bunny

Cheers

Tony
IP Logged

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 8th, 2010, 3:07am »

on Jan 7th, 2010, 7:51pm, Tenfut wrote:
Hi Stuart, Happy New Year to you and yours.

I would have to say this is the worst big Ford I have driven in snow/ice. Best was a Mark 1 3Ltr Granada Ghia, that thing would climb mountains.

I'll have to try that one out  Wink....not many mountains in Essex though  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 8th, 2010, 11:16am »

on Jan 7th, 2010, 7:51pm, Tenfut wrote:
I had the TC switched off and the snow button activated but it was hopeless.

It would be better with TC on
IP Logged

Tekno

Tenho Ruohoranta

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: Jan 8th, 2010, 11:26am »

tip: in slippery place, apply hand brake 1-2 clicks -> power is shared little bit more between left and right side.

Also preventive things what i've done is to have always filled up fuel tank, decrease tyre pressure to about 26-29 psi (and dont drive ridicuously fast!), add some weight to luggage compartment ..
IP Logged

1998 Ford Scorpio Ultima Estate 2.3i 16V
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 8th, 2010, 2:09pm »

on Jan 8th, 2010, 11:26am, Tekno wrote:
tip: in slippery place, apply hand brake 1-2 clicks -> power is shared little bit more between left and right side.

Also preventive things what i've done is to have always filled up fuel tank, decrease tyre pressure to about 26-29 psi (and dont drive ridicuously fast!), add some weight to luggage compartment ..

Just dont mention to the mother in law thats shes in the back seat to aid traction!!  ROFL
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.