Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 9:21pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Clunking front brakes »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Clunking front brakes
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Clunking front brakes  (Read 3069 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Clunking front brakes
« on: Jan 17th, 2010, 2:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It all started about 8 months ago when I fitted new discs & pads. Everything was normal & fine for a couple of months  Smiley

Then one day, when it was raining, I noticed a clunk from the front brakes when nearing to a stop. It was a clunk I've never heard before, coming from the front (kind of metal on metal). Checked the wishbone bushes & ball joints, drop links, anti roll bar bushes & track rod ends & there was nothing wrong there....."It's gotta be a brake problem" I thought.

I cleaned up the calipers, spread lithium brake grease on the sliding pins & re-copper greased the pads & it was fine for a few months, come rain or shine  Smiley

Then it started again....a big single 'metal on metal' clunk when nearing to a stop, coming from the front brakes  Huh....Mainly from the near side, but also doing it (not as loud) from the off side.

Thinking that maybe the 'TRW' pads were possibly badly made & knocking against the the top of the pad carriers, I decided to purchase a different make of pad..'Quinten Hazell'. They were fine for a few months, but then started to do the same again.

So I pulled the pads out, cleaned them & the calipers, re-copper greased the pads etc & they have been fine....until a few days ago, when they started clunking again when coming to a stop  Angry

Can anyone explain this phenomenon ?
There are two things that I can think of as being a cause....

After 212,000 miles....
.....the pad carriers have worn so much that they can't seat a brake pad properly anymore  Undecided.....although, when fitting the pads, they seem to seat okay.

.....there is a problem with the expansion & contraction (when getting wet) of the 12 year old calipers, compared to modern asbestos free brake pads.....might explain why it only starts to happen after driving in wet conditions  Undecided....but doesn't explain why, if I clean the brakes up & re-copper grease them, they are fine in the rain etc, but only for a couple of months....

......Which makes me think that the caliper pad carriers are worn & it's just the copper grease that keeps the pads from clunking for a while until it wears off in the wet  Undecided

Your thoughts please  Smiley
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Clunking front brakes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17th, 2010, 7:36am »

JC I would totally agree with your own analysis of the situation. Although the carriers "look" OK there is almost certainly some wear there, and that small amount of movement could be causing your " clunk" If all else checks out OK then continue as you are or buy some "new" carriers/caliper assembly...
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 17th, 2010, 4:38pm »

Thanks for the reply Dave  Smiley

I've removed the front brakes again & cleaned them up. The only thing I can find that may be the cause is, when I place the outer pad into the (removed) caliper I can rock it so that the either end can strike the caliper & make a 'clunk'.
There doesn't seem to be any visual wear in the actual cailper though, although as you say, it probably doesn't take alot. So maybe it is time to replace the calipers.

The only other thing I can think of as a reason why this is happening, is maybe the anti-rattle spring clips have lost tension & they're not holding the caliper & pad carrier together tight enough (they don't seem as difficult to get on as they used to)  Undecided.

I reckon I might try some new spring clips before I condemn the calipers.... & for now, I've bent them back a bit so they give more tension (were harder to get back on)  Smiley
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 4th, 2010, 1:46am »

Problem sorted, I hope.......It seems to have been the anti rattle spring clips that were causing the problem.  

Soon (a few days) after cleaning, re-greasing & re-fitting the brakes it rained again & back came the 'clunk'  Roll Eyes. As I mentioned in the last post, the spring clips seemed easier to get on than they used to. Even when I bent them back a bit, I could still fit them by hand (no pliers).  

I bought a new pair of spring clips from the local car spares shop (£7.50) & was surprised how diifficult they were to fit. They had so much more tension. I had to use a large pair of mole grips to get them in & even then it was a bit of a struggle.

That was a week & a half ago & the car's been driven on plenty of rain soaked roads since....& so far, no more clunking noises from the brakes  Cheesy.....so hopefully, sorted for good  Smiley
IP Logged
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 4th, 2010, 7:33am »

Good you got it sorted. Probably a good idea in the future is to change the anti-rattle springs at the same time as the pads. I'm not sure if it's the culture or not, but over here when you buy pads the salesman always asks if you want the kit with it and people usually take them. But then again on e.g. ebay you see big companies selling nothing but discs and pads and are puzzled when you ask for the spring/mounting kit.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 26th, 2010, 5:02am »

Update  Wink....

New spring clips didn't solve the problem  Huh....the clunking came back again  Angry

So another strip down & inspection (still can't see anything wrong), clean & regrease again & all was fine again for a while...then it came back again  Angry.....worse  Huh

The only thing now I can think of being the cause of the problem, is maybe worn slide pin rubber sleeves....causing the caliper to shift & knock the pads against the carrier when the pads grip the disc  Undecided

Being that the piston rubber seals are looking a bit wrinkly & the slide pin rubber sleeves may well be worn, then I reckon I'm gonna have to bite the bullet & get two new calipers  Sad.....got a price at £45 each (exchange), so not so bad  Smiley....a bit more expensive that buying a seal kit, but a lot less hassle  Wink

Lets face it, she's nearly driven to the moon now  Grin
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 29th, 2010, 9:04am »

Okay, I decided that new calipers was not a cost that I needed right now (£90 the pair), so have ordered new sliding pin rubber sleeves from Bigg Red (£7.90 for 4).

Should get them tomorrow, so will fit them straight away....then give it a few days to see the outcome.

I'm praying that this is gonna fix the problem, as it's starting to drive me a bit potty now  
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Apr 1st, 2010, 10:24pm »

I fitted the new sliding pin rubber sleeves on Wednesday.....& the brakes were fine, until I drove through a few puddles & applied the brakes.....'CLUNK' .....

Looks like new calipers then  

It's not really the cost of shelling out for new calipers that bothers me, it's the fact that I can't work out why the brakes are doing this. The amount of times I've stripped down, cleaned, re-greased etc & not found anything wrong is really starting to bug me  

Starting to think it may be something else being affected by water......wishbone ball joint rubber split ?...No !!.........track rod end rubber split...No!!......everything suspension & steering wise, apart from the struts & wheel bearings, is under 3 years old & believe me, I've checked every ball joint & bush, & all are good  

I've tried 2 sets of pads (TRW/Lucas & QH) now & a new pair of QH discs. Is it possible that pattern pads are suddenly being made to a different spec to the originals?.... i.e...slightly smaller in length/depth/width ?  

Sounds like nonsense I know, but this problem really is winding me up....it makes no sense  
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Apr 10th, 2010, 5:13am »

Okay then....last ditch attempt at trying to solve this problem....just purchased some Mintex pads off Ebay....listed as proper 2.3 Scorp pads & not Scorpio/Mondeo MK1/2 pads that I've bought in the spares shop before (although they share the same front calipers)

I still can't find anything wrong with the calipers. No evidence of wear in the actual hardware of the caliper & I'm kind of convinced that if I shell out for new ones, then the problem will still exist & my wallet is going to be £90 lighter for no reason  

I'm working on a mad theory that TRW/Lucas & QH pads aren't made to proper OE spec.....we'll see  

P.S....I did replace the pad carriers a little while ago, but to no avail  
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 10th, 2010, 7:57am »

If its still there then I say it is NOT the brakes . You have convinced yourself that it has to be. It could be something else. Awful amount of force exerted on other suspension parts when the car is under braking. It only takes the smallest amount of movement to create a "clunk" and you checking the suspension even with the best will in the world will not be able to exert the same force as braking does. It could even be the top of the suspension leg moving slightly. Me, I would now get to the stage of ignore and let it develop, but its easier said than done. Good luck in your quest JC.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Apr 11th, 2010, 2:30am »

I appreciate your advice Dave & consider all you say  , but I've been over the whole front suspension & nothing is wrong  ...strut mount bushes & bearings were replaced about 18 months ago  

It's defo the brakes....I'm absolutely positive about it  

I could just ignore it & let it develop, but it's been doing it for so long now (nearly a year) & it's still just the same really. It doesn't really notice when breaking at speed....more at low speed..i.e when pulling up on the taxi rank to pick up a fare....& even then, it doesn't do it all the time.
A few people have mentioned it & one even refused to get in once because the sound was so loud when I pulled up beside them, they thought there might be something seriously wrong......I can't blame them, I'd probably do the same.

This car has been through 2 council licenced vehicle MOTs & one proper MOT since the noise started & it has not failed on any suspension or brake related issues  

This is perplexing to say the least & has me completely baffled....but there has to be a reason, & I won't rest until I find it  
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Apr 11th, 2010, 12:38pm »

JC,
Read your post last night in the small hours...and it got me thinking...

You've checked all the obvious stuff...but could it be something as simple as an 'object' rolling around on the plastic undertray beneath the engine and clonking against the ARB or chassis rails ?
Maybe something like a socket ?

I seem to recall a story many years ago - maybe I read it in a car magazine - where a chap had a clonking noise in his car and it was driving him mad. Eventually it was found to be caused by a golf ball rolling around inside a sill panel - how it got there I don't know !
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 11th, 2010, 11:24pm »

Yeah I had the same with a tin of WD40 in the boot behind the trim, everytime i pulled away or came to a stop i got a cluck as it tilted back and forward, spent hours checking underneath only to find it by accident!  

If you want to try a set of 2nd hand calipers Jonny i'll pop them in the post.
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Apr 12th, 2010, 9:50am »

Cheers guys, but it's not anything rolling about the engine tray etc  

Thanks for the offer Stuart....pm sent  
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Apr 14th, 2010, 4:34pm »

Right then  .... just fitted the new Mintex pads & the first thing I noticed about them was that they fitted the carrier very snug with hardly any movement. The QH pads didn't seem to fit as well, in that they were a little loose when placed in the carriers. I also fished the old TRW pads out of the shed & put them in the carriers, they were also a bit of a loose fit.

This might make sense as to why it starts clunking after going through water. Maybe the copper grease applied at either ends of the QH/TRW pads & the carriers is cushioning/dulling the blow when the pads move, but when the copper grease gets washed off a little in the wet (one theory in my first post), that is when you really hear the pads clunk as they smack against the carrier  

This is of course is just speculation & the real acid test will be to drive it about for a while to see if the problem has been cured. But comparing the Mintex pads with the QH & TRW pads, there is definately a very slight difference in size  
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Apr 15th, 2010, 3:04am »

So far so good......not a peep out of them tonight. I even took the car through the car wash on the way to work to give the brakes a good dousing.....she needed a wash anyway  

A bit early to really tell though....need a bit of rain & a few puddles to drive through....but I'm feeling optimistic  
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Apr 15th, 2010, 9:34am »

on Apr 15th, 2010, 3:04am, Jonnycab wrote:
but I'm feeling optimistic

Don't do that with a Scorpio, it'll break! Grin
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Apr 15th, 2010, 3:19pm »

Yes so far I've found pessimism to be quite successful must be said Grin
IP Logged

Mike H
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Apr 21st, 2010, 1:54am »

AAARRRGGGHHH....  

They're not clunking anymore....now, when hot, they're making this horrible moaning noise when I reverse (vibrating ?)...fine when going forward though  

Pads not retracting far enough off the disc due to caliper pistons not behaving as they should ?......or maybe just a wear in period for the pads ?  

It's all going a bit cloudy now  
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Apr 21st, 2010, 11:57am »

Possiblee, pads are wearing unevenly so front edge is thicker than the back edge.

So when you reverse the front edge is binding and it vibrates.

Used to get this with my Moto Guzzi Brembo calipers, the reason was pistons not sliding properly due to rust. This is pure speculation of course

IP Logged

Mike H
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.