Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 9th, 2024, 3:18am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Electrical problem with 2.3 Ultima »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Electrical problem with 2.3 Ultima
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Electrical problem with 2.3 Ultima  (Read 998 times)
mondeoman

2.9 24V Cosworth Ultima + 2.3 16V Facelift Ultima

View Profile

Electrical problem with 2.3 Ultima
« on: Jan 19th, 2010, 5:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

Just to add to my woes, as well as the radio not working correctly, my wife now has an electrical fault with the car.

When I tried to start the car the dials flicked up quickly and then dropped again. Then trying to turn the starter motor over causes the warning lights on the dash etc to flash rapidly with a short of clicking noise. I've checked the battery and it's giving out 12 volts.  Any idea what the cause is and likely solution? We drove the car at the weekend and everything was fine then Undecided

Cheers,

Mondeoman
IP Logged
mondeoman

2.9 24V Cosworth Ultima + 2.3 16V Facelift Ultima

View Profile

Re: Electrical problem with 2.3 Ultima
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19th, 2010, 5:33pm »

I should add that the dials flicking round only happened the first time I tried it.
IP Logged
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19th, 2010, 5:37pm »

Hi Mondeoman. Sounds like your battery is failing slowly as the flickering dash suggests low power. Mine is doing the same at the moment in the mornings and after the car is left for a good few hours.  Lee
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19th, 2010, 5:55pm »

on Jan 19th, 2010, 5:37pm, lleewar wrote:
Hi Mondeoman. Sounds like your battery is failing slowly as the flickering dash suggests low power. Mine is doing the same at the moment in the mornings and after the car is left for a good few hours.  Lee

Agree
IP Logged
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19th, 2010, 9:14pm »

Yep I agree too.   Having been away for most of the Xmas period, and not started the car (It lives outside) for five weeks, when I returned it was minus 12 degrees C.   The car turned over rather slowly, and just before it started the dials all flicked around the faces, and the warning lights flashed.   It only happened that once, and we have had lower temperatures and it's not done so again.   Cheesy
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20th, 2010, 8:23pm »

Same here again. I've had this too. Means battery is severely low charge.

First symptom (don't know if this is common) ABS light flashes on when starting. (Assuming they're all out to start with)

Extreme symptom, dashboard does like a "complete reset" (I think it's like a separate microprocessor?) like testing all the dials "lock to lock", think this is caused by it being turned on then the supply Volts are unexpectedly dropping below some threshold when the starter motor comes online, hence it like "resets".

If the car's not being used much as mine isn't often I find I have to put a charger on it at least every couple of months and typically needs 24 hours minimum (at 8 Amps). 48 hours is better.  Wink

I rigged it up with a cigar lighter plug so simply plug it in the back cigar lighter socket.
IP Logged

Mike H
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20th, 2010, 8:31pm »

Appendix ~ bear in mind even while its not being used the PCM is running all the time, albeit at reduced power, (disabling the alarm e.g. by unplugging a sensor makes no difference) then there's your radio memory, then there's the radio receiver for the remote, which is turned off by the PCM only after 300 hours of inactivity, (I think that's right), not to mention all the lock motors if you just nipped out to get something out of the glove box  Grin
IP Logged

Mike H
emptypockets

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 21st, 2010, 11:55am »

Hi.

Also check the battery terminal connections.  I fitted a new one a couple of months ago and everything was fine until two weeks ago when I had non starting, clicking dash and every sign of a jammed starter motor.

The culprit was simply the terminals.  After slightly loosening them and reconnecting all was fine.  God knows how this fault developed but this is the wonderful world of the Scorpio!

Cheers.
IP Logged

John
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 21st, 2010, 12:58pm »

Ah yes, reminds me I was told once a "light tap" with something (I dunno, screwdriver handle?) on the terminals might work as a "get you going" remedy. Cheesy
IP Logged

Mike H
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.