Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 6:17am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Mysterious Cut-Out returns »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Mysterious Cut-Out returns
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Mysterious Cut-Out returns  (Read 951 times)
londonajay

I'm a YaBB nbeiwe!

View Profile

Mysterious Cut-Out returns
« on: Jan 23rd, 2010, 3:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

I have had a trying time with my scorp.  When I rounded a corner, the engine died when I tried to accellerate, the power just went with no warning.  The time it happened before, I got a host of warning lights but this time, only the oil light came on.  

So I checked the oil, topped up to max and checked the water, just to ensure.  However, I know this wasn't the cause.

After being towed back home, the engine fired up, which was what happened the first time also...so anyway, the guy who gave me the tow mentioned that it could be the fuel pump?  

I noticed that when pressing the accellerator slowly, it gave me a good response but when pushing fast, it turned sluggish and there's a little switch on the rear of a doobrey that moved when the performance reduced.  Also, there seems to be oil surrounding the nearside engine block?

I apologise for using the word doobrey but if it helps it's next to the engine block marked TYPE IV.  Maybe it's got nothing to do with that thereHuh

So without many more words.....Help!!

Thanks in advance

- Ajay
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: Mysterious Cut-Out returns
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23rd, 2010, 4:10pm »

A bit vague Ajay ! could we have a better description of the'doobrey',which engine is in your car ?
        GOZZ
IP Logged
londonajay

I'm a YaBB nbeiwe!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 23rd, 2010, 4:53pm »

on Jan 23rd, 2010, 4:10pm, gozz wrote:
A bit vague Ajay ! could we have a better description of the'doobrey',which engine is in your car ?
                                 GOZZ

A 2.0 litre 1998cc 16v dohc auto.  And the doobrey thing has the throttle switch there.
IP Logged
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 23rd, 2010, 6:02pm »

My 24v cut out in about the same way and it was the crank sensor plug that had come loose.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 23rd, 2010, 6:46pm »

I'd check the engine wiring loom (fuel cut off loom) all over for breaks/cracks....especially on top (where it goes to the coil packs) & where it goes down to the crankshaft sensor & oil pressure sensor  Smiley
IP Logged
londonajay

I'm a YaBB nbeiwe!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 23rd, 2010, 8:04pm »

I think both of you have something there.  Me, a person of little engine knowledge has done a bit of reading on it and it could potentially be that.  Now, that means me seeking a garage, as I don't know what they look like, where they are and where they should go!  Embarassed

That doobrey what I called it could now be called the manifold?  The accellerator turns into a cable and moves the switch normally, there's another moving part to the rear of the manifold/injector thing which moves when the accellerator is moved at a fast/hard rate.  This then makes the accelleration sluggish.  

The CMP if not correctly fitted/wire broken may cause the ECU to wrongly compensate timing/injection which could lead to a cut-out?  Does my car have a CKP sensor too, after reading, I know I have a CMP sensor but the workshop manual doesn't have info for a CKP on my 16v?  

I've also just read about the MAF and how it may cause the following:
Quote:
poor driving behaviour  
 engine shudder  
 engine ringing noises  
 engine speed variations  
 power loss under maximum acceleration  
 illumination of the TIL (this is the O/D light)  
 I have had everything on that list except for the TIL and ringing noises...
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 25th, 2010, 9:51am »

The CKP is next to the oil filter
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
londonajay

I'm a YaBB nbeiwe!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25th, 2010, 3:56pm »

Thanks guys,

I drove it sunday, the temperature guage went over halfway after 10 minutes, I pulled up and coolant in hand opened the coolant reservoir to find oil spluttering and gushing out instead of water.

Also there's a thin film of oil across the nearside half of the engine block, so I'm guessing I found my problem - a suspected blown head gasket!

In other words: GUTTED.    EmbarassedUndecidedSad Angry Cry

I've just had a convo with the garage and they said it was dead, kaput, head gasket failure.  I returned with the suggestion from the boards to say to source a vauxhall fontera 2.8tdi head gasket and they seemed amazed.  So I'll just wait for the quote for the labour.

Thanks and I'll keep updating.  If it does go pearshaped I may offer it for parts to the board.

- Ajay
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.