Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 12:34am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Door locks freezing »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Door locks freezing
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Door locks freezing  (Read 903 times)
scorpiov612v

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Door locks freezing
« on: Jan 31st, 2010, 6:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anyone else encountered the problem of all the door locks freezing up in this cold weather? - thanks - Shane
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

Re: Door locks freezing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31st, 2010, 7:59pm »

My boot lock was frozen solid yesterday morning, but put it down to the car being washed on the friday afternoon. To remedy the problem i squirted some de-icer into a plastic cup & used a syringe to spray de icer deep into the mechanism  Undecided. Not ideal but did the trick  Roll Eyes. I think i can feel a 'lock greasing session' coming on  Grin Grin
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Feb 1st, 2010, 8:48am »

Just make sure it IS the lock. Last Friday it rained here most of the day. At 6pm the temp was down to below freezing. I drove to my local left the car for an hour and a half before leaving. The door locks all 'worked' the interior lights came on but no way would any of the doors actually open. I managed to clamber in through the tailgate (Estate) and simply pushed the door from inside. The strange thing was that there was no sign of frost on the screen, roof etc. I can only conclude that the doors were 'frozen' on the rubber seals and the 'pull' on the handle was insufficient to move them whereas the additional pressure freed them. I have since coated all the seals with silicone spray in order to stop it happening again.  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Ivan Pevnitsky

Scorpio Ghia '96, 2.3, Auto

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 1st, 2010, 5:40pm »

I had troubles with front passenger door lock when it was -25 - 18 here. It stuck in the position last set by hand, and didn't move by the motor.

If it was closed, when I tried to open a driver's door (that usually causes to open all doors) all doors were closing again. That is because passenger door could not be opened automatically by the motor.

So to get into the car I had to open the passenger's door first with the key.

Again - to close the car, I could not do it with remote - because it was automatically opened because motor could not close the passenger handle.  So I used to open the driver's door, then pushed the passenger's door handle by hand (all handles started to move back and forth =)) - and then jsut got out and closed the driver's door - and it locked automatically Smiley))

And of course sometimes had the problem Simmos' described (especially after car wash Grin) - I even could not open one of the doors from inside :lol:

Now it's -5 and all is fine  Cool
IP Logged
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 3rd, 2010, 9:39am »

Smiley,  Hi Ivan.
Do you coat the door seals with anything in particular to prevent them sticking?

Mike     Smiley
IP Logged
Ivan Pevnitsky

Scorpio Ghia '96, 2.3, Auto

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 3rd, 2010, 2:58pm »

I don't =) I don't drive this ford much because of the problems with gearbox
IP Logged
goldie

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 14th, 2010, 7:23pm »

hi i had this problem with the door locks freezing i just wd40 insde the key holes and havent had a problem since, and also i rubbed vasaline on the door rubbers and then wiped it off it has seemed to have cured the frozed seal problem !!
hth
goldie
IP Logged
mondeoman

2.9 24V Cosworth Ultima + 2.3 16V Facelift Ultima

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Feb 14th, 2010, 7:45pm »

Goldie,  

What a good idea regarding the door seals as I'm suffering with the same problem! Will give it a go in the week and see if it solves it for me.

Cheers,

Mondeoman
IP Logged
tonyboy

black2.924Vcoss ( No More )

Tony+Redden   Tony+Redden
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 14th, 2010, 8:01pm »

It has been said that vasaline is petroleum based and will damage the seals in a period of time, furniture polish, silicone stick, beeswax on the seals seam to work, i used the polish as simmo sugested. and it seemed to work
IP Logged

I think i'm going, erm what do you call it..... Senial.... Huh
gost

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 14th, 2010, 9:26pm »

Same as Simmo  I  use silicone spray on seals   works a treat
IP Logged

2.3 ultima
Norseman

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Feb 17th, 2010, 8:43am »

on Jan 31st, 2010, 6:16pm, scorpiov612v wrote:
Has anyone else encountered the problem of all the door locks freezing up in this cold weather? - thanks - Shane

Common problem on cars in the winter up here in arctic Norway. If at home, I fill a plastic bag with hot water and hold the bag against the lock. 30 seconds to a minute and the ice inside the lock will melt and you can unlock the door.

But the water/moisture in there will freeze again within minutes, so to prevent this, spray some lock oil in there in liberal ammounts.  

Else for frozen door, apply some silicone spray on the door seals and bob's your uncle.

Good luck
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.