Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 3:30am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Starting problems »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Starting problems
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Starting problems  (Read 607 times)
Bikerdon

2.0 Ultima saloon, Norton 500, Suzuki 550.

View Profile

Starting problems
« on: Feb 28th, 2010, 1:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all, I've been having starting problems on my scorp since friday afternooon, jumped in  the car and it just turned over but would'nt fire, fuel pressure is ok so not the problem, luckily was outside a garage and they confirmed no spark, assuming the problem was the same as my old scorp I replaced the crank position sensor wherupon the car started right away, problem solved, or so I thought, next day same problem, sometimes it starts sometimes it doesnt, so could it be the camshaft position sensor or maybe water in the fuseboxes? There are no other usual signs of fusebox gremlins though. thanks Bikerdon.
IP Logged

My other car's a bike!
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: Starting problems
« Reply #1 on: Mar 1st, 2010, 8:03pm »

hi there

sounds llike the wiring to me.

check the 2 big multiplugs on the inner wing.

hth
IP Logged
Bikerdon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 1st, 2010, 8:59pm »

Hi scorpio_man, I did undo the bolts to seperate and reconnect the multiplugs but will check them again in the morning, it does start sometimes and never cuts out once its running, it just started happening on friday afternoon with no hints beforehand of any problems. stopped to pick up some bike parts and it refused to start again, but it ran eventually to get home. if its not the multi plugs do you think I should recheck the main fusebox for water ingress. I spent today stripping and properly reinsulating the loom in the head recess for the coils all the way down to the injector cover including the cam position sensor, fp sensor, tps sensor and vis sensor, so no more problems there at least.
IP Logged

My other car's a bike!
Bikerdon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 2nd, 2010, 2:21pm »

Hi again, still no joy with the intermittant starting, now tearing hair out in lumps, no car = no work = no money coming in! have checked all wiring and sorted out any bad insulation, checked fuses and relays, fuel pump cut off switch, replaced crank sensor and cam sensor and still she wont start to order, any more ideas from anyone? Thanks, Bikerdon.
IP Logged

My other car's a bike!
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 2nd, 2010, 4:45pm »

coil packs?  or maybe the plugs? does sound like a wiring prob though...

IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Bikerdon

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 2nd, 2010, 6:24pm »

Hi, well I've discovered something odd, if I disconnect and reconnect the battery it seems to solve the starting problem for a while but then it comes back later. So it seems the ecu is getting confused? and so am I now. Bikerdon.
IP Logged

My other car's a bike!
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 3rd, 2010, 1:04am »

hi there

just to recap.

not starting, just turning over? is that right?

might be a pats problem.

do you have another key to try?
IP Logged
Bikerdon

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 3rd, 2010, 11:21am »

Hi scorpio_man, yes I've tried using the spare key as well, on my scorp if you use the wrong key it disables the starter as well, tried one of my old keys with the chip taken out and you can turn the ignition to the start position and nothing happens, if you use the chipped key it turns over fine so the problem isnt there. For some strange reason its been starting all day so far and I havent done anything to it since last night, it'll probably act up again when I dont want it to. If it behaves itself till the weekend I will pull the fuseboxes out to check for moisture, but as I said earlier there have been no other symptoms normally related to damp or wet fuseboxes. Just have to keep looking I guess. Bikerdon.
IP Logged

My other car's a bike!
Bikerdon

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Mar 27th, 2010, 3:23pm »

Aargh! it's doing it again! After a couple of weeks of the scorp behaving itself and starting all the time it's now decided to play at silly bu**ers again. Its had the engine loom stripped and reinsulated, also replaced the cam and crank position sensors, multiplugs on inner wing were dismantled and cleaned and fuse boxes stripped to check for moisture. Running out of options here, any advice would be greatfully recieved. Thanks. Bikerdon.
IP Logged

My other car's a bike!
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 27th, 2010, 6:01pm »

Hi Bikerdon. I don't know whether this is of any help but here goes:  On the 2/9, 12valve Scorp just to the rear of the Coil there is a small black rectangular box, about one and a half inches long with some wires that are connected to the Coil.  Get these checked out as I had a similar starting scenario to you and eventually took my Scorp to an Auto Electician who eventually found that although the wires seemed to be secure in fact one of them had a faulty connection.  He fixed that and no futher problems.

Mike
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.