Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 12:30am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« vss? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   vss?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: vss?  (Read 787 times)
ALAN

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

vss?
« on: Mar 3rd, 2010, 10:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, still got problems with car, cleaned the maf as suggested but still not running ok. I have read on here of someone with a similar problem, eg. speedo not right and gears playing up, dont know if i should get a vss and pinnion for the car or not, its a 24v 2.9 cossie.? Thanx for any advice.
IP Logged
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

Re: vss?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 4th, 2010, 5:29am »

The VSS can definitely cause these problems. Does it drop to zero from time to time? If it does it's the actual VSS that's most likely to be on it's way.

The swap takes 10 minutes. The part can be still be ordered from ford, something in the range £80-90

O/D flash and gear thumping is also expected + heavy fuel consumption.
IP Logged
ALAN

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 4th, 2010, 2:26pm »

Thanx for gettin back to me will order one and post results.
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 4th, 2010, 4:03pm »

Sorry to steal the post a little  Roll Eyes. Tlundkvi ... Is that true, the VSS can cause gear thumping ? ? . I have a similar problem on my project car . When slowing to a stop the gearbox changes into first with quite a thump. Kickdown can sometimes be slow as well. My first port of call was to change the MAF, because i know this can influence gear changes  Undecided. If my problems persist i might change the VSS  Roll Eyes  Smiley. As the saying goes..." You learn something new every day "  Grin Grin Grin. Hope you get it sorted Alan  Smiley
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 4th, 2010, 4:34pm »

There is no such thing as stealing a post Smiley

Yep, I experienced it. Disappeared right away after I put a new one in. My original worked while it was cold, but stopped working when tthe VSS got warm. It could start working again after the same gear has been selected for a longer time. On my cossie, as soon as the speedo dropped to zero, gear would change at high revs only (sometimes), and at other times when the ECU realised the VSS signal was not to trust, all gear changes were really harsch and O/D was flashing. Yes and slowing down the same thing. It could be the MAF, I suppose, I have no experience of that problem.
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 4th, 2010, 11:59pm »

Is your speedo erratic Craig?

As tlundkvi says if the VSS is faulty it will affect the gearchanges on the automatic, the speed signal is used somewhere in the electrical gubbins (technical term) to select the correct gear using load, speed, revs etc
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 5th, 2010, 2:12am »

Is that right then ?....a dodgy VSS can cause a slight gear thumping when slowing to a stop, but not affect the speedo dial in any way ?  Huh

I assumed it was my final drive getting a little worn after 215,000 miles that was causing a similar problem  Undecided
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 5th, 2010, 7:39am »

Im of the same opinion JC  Wink Stuart... The speedo is fine, but when i drove the car back from Emsworth ( 165 mile journey) there was a distinct thump as it changed down to first when slowing to a stop. TBH it feels like a little slack in the cv,s or diff to me  Undecided. The MAF was changed last weekend but havent had a chance to fully test the car yet  Roll Eyes I dont think it's a fault with the gearbox as the oil is bang on, plus i have a reciept for a full gearbox service in 2009. Matt is coming over this weekend to eat my baco.....eeerrr help me with the car  Wink Wink Grin Grin. Will let you know how we get on  Smiley
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 5th, 2010, 9:29am »

on Mar 5th, 2010, 2:12am, Jonnycab wrote:
Is that right then ?....a dodgy VSS can cause a slight gear thumping when slowing to a stop, but not affect the speedo dial in any way ?  Huh

I assumed it was my final drive getting a little worn after 215,000 miles that was causing a similar problem  Undecided

I've never seen them do that Jonny, usually the speedo will jump around or fall to 0 while driving
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 5th, 2010, 12:35pm »

on Mar 5th, 2010, 2:12am, Jonnycab wrote:

As Stuart clarifies, these symptoms I describe are a direct cause of the VSS giving false/no signal, not the other way around. Mine did not have anything in between working and not working (e.g. showing half speed), so it was quite easy to see the connection of the problem and it's cause.
IP Logged
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Mar 5th, 2010, 12:56pm »

Oh, and on the 24V steering also becomes a pain as the rack on the 24V is speed sensitive.
IP Logged
ALAN

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Mar 10th, 2010, 8:31pm »

Hi, just to let you know bought a vss £97.00 put in on fri, sat ran ok..... sun drove london in it and it played up all the way, got back in it to come home and it ran sweet as a nut and has ran gd since, dont know if the run helped or not but keeping fingers crossed, Smiley
IP Logged
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Mar 10th, 2010, 8:49pm »

Let's hope that was it with the issues!
IP Logged
tootman318

Leicester City Forever

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 11th, 2010, 7:59pm »

Get similar harsh gear change on my cossie engine, always 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 1st. I have found that to disconnect the battery for few secs stops the problem. Does this every few months or so and fine in between.
IP Logged

Leicester City FC Forever!!!!!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.