Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 7th, 2024, 3:22pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Cossie Gearbox/Kickdown Problems »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Cossie Gearbox/Kickdown Problems
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cossie Gearbox/Kickdown Problems  (Read 1050 times)
gerryw

Cossie Mad

View Profile

Cossie Gearbox/Kickdown Problems
« on: Mar 24th, 2010, 10:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

I recently had the two (rear of the Cats)Lambdas and the middle section of my exhaust replaced by a garage (cost £300) but it was a good job as the OBD2 DTCs (P0161 - P0171 and P0174 were cured.

However the stuttering (or chugging) at low speed (around 30mph) still persists and another problems has arose... I cant get the instant response from the Kickdown. When I put my foot hard down the engine does not bust into life it just seems to climb steadilly upwards as the speed increases.

Plus when starting off in the mornings the gearbox does not immediately go into gear (reverse or drive) right away it takes approx 30/60 seconds (sometimes longer) to engage also does not seem to run smoothly when driving.

The gearbox oil is a redish brown so could I need to change the oil and filters, also would the chugging be caused by the Gearbox or is there something else that is causing it?

Hope someone can help me?

Cheers
Gerryw
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

Re: Cossie Gearbox/Kickdown Problems
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25th, 2010, 7:45am »

Hi Gerry. Changing the gearbox oil & filter certainly wont hurt  Wink. As for the poor running & un timley changes, have you tried cleaning the MAF sensor  Undecided ?. Believe it or not the maf is responsable for a lot of scorpio ailments  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes. Certainly wont hurt to give it a blast with some carb cleaner & it's only ten minutes out of your day  Smiley. Keep us informed m8... Regards... Craig  Smiley
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25th, 2010, 2:35pm »

the wiring plug for the auto box and speed sensor are all located in the same area as the lamba sensors, check they havent dislodged one of the plugs
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
gerryw

Cossie Mad

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25th, 2010, 3:40pm »

Hi,

Thanks for your advice guys...

I cleaned the MAF just before I took it in to have the Lambdas and exhaust done but just thinking about it, the wiring into the plug that plugs into the MAFdid look a bit ropey (and I did tape it up) but I dont know whether to risk having a go at fixing it as I may knacker the wiring all together and I believe the MAF is very expensive to replace?

Also, I will take it back to the garage where I had the work done and ask them to check the Autobox wiring connections but can you let me know where about on the Autobox they are located so that I can tell them where they are?

After that is sorted (I hope) then I will have the garage replace the Autobox oil and filters...

Thanks for your help!
Gerryw
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25th, 2010, 3:46pm »

Hi Gerry,

the autobox multiplug is beside the engine loom multiplug, down the left side of the engine (they are actually interlinked) bolted to the inner wing, two large square connectors with a 10mm bolt on top.

Look below the power steering reservoir, if that leaks then the fluid lands right on top of them Smiley

The connector Matt mentioned is at the other end of that loom on the near side of the gearbox, you would need to access it from below, it runs from the large multiplug along to the back of the engine then down the top of the gearbox to the nearside.

Last I heard MAF sensors were 100 quid plus but I have a spare one you could have for 99  ROFL

If you need one let me know, i have plenty Wink
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

gerryw

Cossie Mad

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25th, 2010, 4:17pm »

Hi,

Thanks Highlander (a saving is a saving) Roll Eyes

I am going to print off your description of the  locations of the Autobox wiring/connections and ask the garage to check them out for any problems.

If they find some I will be able to get it fixed and then see if the other problems cease... if not I will get back to you about the MAF but also, as I was saying, the wiring into the plug that fits into the MAF socket looks a bit ropey and I taped it up but I may need to replace it (or have the connections tested by a autoelectrician) but have no idea how to do it (I certainly hope its OK)?

Many thanks
Gerry

IP Logged
tonyboy

black2.924Vcoss ( No More )

Tony+Redden   Tony+Redden
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25th, 2010, 5:18pm »

on Mar 25th, 2010, 3:46pm, Highlander wrote:

Last I heard MAF sensors were 100 quid plus but I have a spare one you could have for 99  ROFL

I think he means 99 million........... Grin
IP Logged

I think i'm going, erm what do you call it..... Senial.... Huh
gerryw

Cossie Mad

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 25th, 2010, 5:30pm »

Is that for a "MAF" or for every "MAF" that was ever made Huh

Gerry
IP Logged
gerryw

Cossie Mad

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Mar 26th, 2010, 1:22pm »

Hi,

Has anybody got any ideas regarding my post about the wiring to the MAF please? (post dated: 03/25/10 at 16:17:44)

Regards
Gerry
IP Logged
tonyboy

black2.924Vcoss ( No More )

Tony+Redden   Tony+Redden
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 26th, 2010, 6:52pm »

Here's a couple of pages to look at if this helps.... http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/maftest.htm .... http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/mafdata.htm .... http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cleanmaf.htm
IP Logged

I think i'm going, erm what do you call it..... Senial.... Huh
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 31st, 2010, 1:44pm »

Unfortunately it sounds like you may need to fit a new loom to the engine and gearbox, they are very prone to the insulation disintegrating and then they cause all sorts of electrical anomalies.  Recently disturbing it is all it may have needed to finish it off I'm afraid  

Some folks have repaired them using shrinkwrap but mine was that bad I just changed it.

If trying to get a replacement loom, Ford misleadingly describe the loom as "Fuel Cut Off Loom", if you ask them for an underbonnet loom they will tell you it's no longer available !!  Should cost approx £300 but its a right B to fit cos all the inlet plenums have to come off and also you have to drop the back gearbox mount to swing it all down to fit the loom across the top of the garbox and down to it's plugs.

Did mine in a day, money well spent, all gremlins and anomalies dissapeared over night LOL

HTH Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
gerryw

Cossie Mad

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Mar 31st, 2010, 3:47pm »

Hi Dave,

I hope to god its an "APRIL FOOLS" day joke?  

If not, where about under the Cossie is this LOOM so that I can get it up on a garage ramp to get it inspected as it may (with a bit of luck) only need wrapping in kitchencling film?

Cheers
Gerard
IP Logged
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 1st, 2010, 11:54am »

No, i'm not joking, it runs from a big square multiplug on the inner wing round the front of the O/S front head, under all the intake setup, then down the back of engine over the top of the gearbox on metal clips.

I certainly wouldn't recommend cling film...Do the job properly and you'll have no more problems....

Lets face it, the cars are great, the loom is the weak point, what sort of car WITHOUT problems can you buy for about £300.

Well worth doing IMHO

Regards Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.