Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 5:21pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« my !st scorpio wont start »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   my !st scorpio wont start
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: my !st scorpio wont start  (Read 2188 times)
stuarte

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

my !st scorpio wont start
« on: Mar 30th, 2010, 8:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi im new on here, I bought a 1995 2.9 12 v ultima for £200 with gen 40000 miles, no rust, all electrics works, service history as last owner died, anyway it s mot run ran out , i got it trailed home, it started ok, but after 6hrs later it took longer and after 24 hrs it wont start.
i contacted the last dealer that services it and it got new leads, plugs and cold start sensor but mechanic said it had been poor starter for a while.
it turns over like mad, the fuel cut off switch is down in the boot.

help, a guy said he would do OBD for £30 on wed, is it worth it or do i get local garage to come down and try and fix it in the street and then take it for MOT, they said they want it starting to save me cash preferably.
IP Logged
stuarte

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: my !st scorpio wont start
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30th, 2010, 8:36pm »

footnote, the gears select fine, my gearbox dipstick is light brown with a strong smell,at only 40,000 miles, i read that that is wrong colour, i phoned ford about what i read on the website advice here and the mechanic said, my box will last thousand of miles and its fine.,a brown colour at 40,000 miles does not mean it will fail very very soon
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30th, 2010, 10:11pm »

stuarte.
There is a possibility it may have '12 valveitis' whereby the three signal wires that go from the distributor to the ECU via the terminal plug on the offside inner wing,are devoid of insulation.They are bound inside a copper shield similar to a TV co-ax,dismantling of the loom often reveals that the cable is broken down to the extent of shorting,the result of which is false signals and poor or no communication with the ECU.This is all due to bad materials and engine bay heat,plus the passage of time.
 Let the scan man know that it has EEC4 ECU,not EEC5,and is not compatible with OBD2 scanners,as there are only 4 wires in the 16 pin diagnostic socket on your car.                                     GOZZ.
IP Logged
stuarte

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31st, 2010, 11:57am »

update, the guy never came out today, so i examined the ht  leads, coil leads, and the black box type terminal thing near ns wing, gave them all awiggle and it started instantly. now im confused. it did have a flat spot for a min when i revved it , it went from 1000 to 700 them up as norm, it also stopped showing any revs at all on rev counter for a few secs, despite engine ticking over lovely. any advice before it goes for its mot, i want it to start 1st time for my work,
IP Logged
stuarte

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 3rd, 2010, 3:54pm »

well today its just turning over fast and not firing, a complete change from the other day, how can that be, any advice, its raining heavy if that helps, but if it started yesterday no probs, does that mean the plugs are fine and leads
IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 3rd, 2010, 4:45pm »

does the car have a battery cover? might have damp electrics,

also does the cap have the black suppressors fitted? and has it bolted down correctly?

what does the cap look like?
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
stuarte

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Apr 3rd, 2010, 7:44pm »

what cap do you mean and suppressors thanks
IP Logged
stuarte

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Apr 3rd, 2010, 7:51pm »

it started justs now had to crank it for nealy 20 secs
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 3rd, 2010, 7:55pm »

Does it tick over smoothly when it starts?

Make sure all the vacum pipes are on and NOT leaking including the one under the Idle control valve  see also worth taking the air inlets off and spraying some carb cleaner in around the butterfly bt be careful NO metal pbjects in there they can cause a lot of damage.  

Might also be worth taking the big plug in the inside of the offside wing { inside the engine bay } off and giving that a spray with contact cleaner and piutting it back a few times to clean the pins.  

Check the low voltage leads to the coil on the inner wing ( nearside).
Got to be something relatively simple just a case of elimination. Have patience and don;t give up.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
stuarte

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Apr 3rd, 2010, 8:04pm »

it ticks over lovely, and starts 1st time after its fired up eventually if i switch it off 5 mins later, i cant find that bit you pictured
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 3rd, 2010, 8:18pm »

Its at the engine end of the two big pipes from the air filter box where it goes into the big silver part of top of the engine. On the left hand side as you look into the engine bay standing at the front of the car looking in Could be a fuel pressure regulator problem if it starts after the first time. Keep looking others will have more ideas.  
see
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
stuarte

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Apr 3rd, 2010, 8:29pm »

ta for help, bit dark to look tonight, im devon/cornwall border, perhaps some reader of my post living nearish could have a look
IP Logged
NormanHall

Scorpio-itis

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 18th, 2010, 7:25am »

I have just done 1,500 mile in 8 days from leaving home to returning touring Ireland. Car went like a dream except on day 6 I went to start it and it would only turn over and not fire. This happened once before and I stripped the loom around the engine found nothing put it all back and it started. So this time I headed for the block connector on the OS wing, loosened it, waggled it and refitted it and after a prolonged turning of the engine it fired up, sounded like a bag of hammers for a while and then every back to normal.  I did have visions of it going to an Irish scrap yard. By the way unleaded £1.34 ppl there.
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Apr 18th, 2010, 8:30pm »

Fuel pressure regulator?

I only mention that cos I was reading about it the other day (on here).

OTOH it's only 40,000m
IP Logged

Mike H
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Apr 18th, 2010, 9:00pm »

hi there

it might only have 40k miles on it, but it's still years old.

don't dis-count anything.

hth
IP Logged
stuarte

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Apr 18th, 2010, 9:14pm »

dont know why but its starting everytime now, its getting driven, before it got turned over in driveway and it struggled.
IP Logged
NormanHall

Scorpio-itis

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: May 9th, 2010, 6:26am »

Happened again went to start and it just spun over without firing. Went straight to the multiplug in the offside engine bay and separated it and found it damp, put the hair dryer on , put together and hey presto like a new motor. treated it with silicone sealant.
IP Logged
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: May 9th, 2010, 9:59am »

I have had this problem on my 12valve for some time and I tried all sorts of remedies. often thinking that I had found the solution only to be proven wrong by the engine spinning merrilly but not firing up.

The throttle linkeage on my 12 valve was sticking so I had a local engineering firm  
replace the worn bushes ( plastic ) with phosphor brionze bushes.  All well and fine.  A good job.  After a time this problem of spinning without firing started etc. etc.

Now then, the 12 valve will not fire if the Throttle is open, even a little bitt.  It just won't happen.  I discovered this some time ago but being a bit slow and believing that the Throttle linkeage was just fine I struggled on untill in desperation I lubricated the linkeage anew.  End of problem.  This was months ago and she, the 12 valve not me missus, is operating just dandy up in York

Give it a go.

HTH.  Mike
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: May 9th, 2010, 6:02pm »

Very interesting! Like a "safety feature" ?
IP Logged

Mike H
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.